PDA

View Full Version : Help for a newbie please

nt_1958
09-20-2007, 07:26 AM
I have just installed Pacific Fighters and installed new patches upto v4.03. I have been flying with CFS2 for quite a while and the little bit I have been able to try with PF is very impressive. But, a few questions spring to mind.
I have training missions for taking off from an aircraft carrier, but I can't for the life of me see where it tells me how to start the engine or where to adjust the flaps. Any guidance?
Second question, about landing on a carrier, how do I put the landing gear down?
I would have thought these simple proceedures would have been more obvious to find as they where in CFS2 but, hey lifes full of little suprises.
Any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks

Fox_3
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Engine start is the 'I' key. You will have to set keys in the control menu for prop pitch, and superchargers.

Flaps are default V for down, and F for up.

Some early aircraft have handcranked gear, so go into controls and set keys for up and down. You will have to tap these keys multiple times to raise or lower your gear.

You will also have to set a key for chocks.

FritzGryphon
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/IL-2-Total-Newbie-Start-FAQ.jpg

Skycat_2
09-20-2007, 05:19 PM
A large number of important functions are undefined by default. Tailhook raise/lower is one of them, and the previous posters have pointed out a few others.

If you look in your game's main folder you'll find a PDF copy of the key chart. I believe it is named Controls.pdf. It is easier to just open up 'Controls' in the game and redefine th commands how you like them.

See this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9901017394) for some ideas on customizing your key commands. Also, look at my sig for other helpful links.

Zeus-cat
09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Try my "Straight From the Farm" campaign. It was designed for people new to the sim. There are 19 missions and they start off very easily and gradually walk you through taking off and landing. Key assignments are also discussed. See the link below for the campaign. Also check out the Nuggets Guide on the General Discussion forum.

nt_1958
09-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Hey guys thanks for that help. I have downloaded the file straight from the farm and will hopefuly start learning quickly from now on.
One other problem I experienced yesterday was after I installed the last update patch 404. I tried to fly the take off from a carrier in either British or American mode but each time it started I was already in the air with the engine running, flying over the fleet. How does that work? I should have been on the carrier flight deck. Has this happened to anyone else?

Zeus-cat
09-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Check your difficulty settings. You have takeoffs and landings disabled.

nt_1958
09-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Hi Zeus-cat
As I said I've downloaded your Straight from the Farm. But, how do I load it, I've looked in Single Missions and can't see it or in Multiple Missions. It sounds just what I need but I can't figure out how to load it.
Help please?

FoolTrottel
09-21-2007, 06:24 AM
I've looked in Single Missions and can't see it or in Multiple Missions.

According to the readme.txt:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">2) Installing the campaign and practice missions
Install the "Straight_From_the_Farm" folder into your Missions\Campaign\UN folder
Install the Practice folder in your Missions\Single\UN folder</pre>

So, the campaign should be selectable when you start a new career as a USN pilot...
The Practice missions should be available via Single Mission option, Airforce 'USN', mission type 'Practice'

Good Luck!

Zeus-cat
09-21-2007, 09:20 PM
As I said I've downloaded your Straight from the Farm. But, how do I load it, I've looked in Single Missions and can't see it or in Multiple Missions. It sounds just what I need but I can't figure out how to load it.

I put the install directions in the readme file. It is pretty straight forward.

Bearcat99
09-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I reccomend that you do two things ASAP. 1-Get 1946. It is becoming harder and harder to find and you ave less than 1/3 or the sim without it. PF standalone is IMO a waste of money.You more than likely got it with that Ultimate Flight collection pack from UBI. Get 46 ASAP.
2- Hit the Nugget's guide in my sig. Also the Essentials thread, amd also read "Why buy IL2 1946" in the Essentials thread.