PDA

View Full Version : Fuel - tanks modelled?

weasel75
11-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi!

I had another (laggy) online-flight today and got hit by AAA into the wing of my little D3A1. From rear-gunner I saw the right wing having a fuel-leak.

The tank did not seal ... okay.

BUT: the tank ran completely dry, and it took all the fuel from left+right-wing and center-tank (if any, not sure) too.
So I ran out of fuel and crash-landed because of that single hole in the right wing :-(

With distances that big, and fuel being mission-critical, I was sort of "annoyed" to not have a chance to switch that tank off.

Maybe the D3A1 does not have a tank-selector?
If it has: will it ever be modelled?

IMHO, that is a big issue with the PTO-distances ..

S! - W75

Mjollnir111675
11-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Weasel,

Yeah but look at that "Perfecr Water" wouldja?
As far as anyone cares it is the water that makes the difference!!!Besides when ya crash due to no fuel who cares your crashin into water thats perfect!!

LMAO!!! BTW I cant wait fer the perfect grass and mountains that will be comin in Silent Hunter 3.Heres a beer to hopin that UBI rushes S.H.3 fer the Valentines season!!!LMAO!!!

But to be real the only other flight sim I have ever played that models different fuel tanks was B-17 2. Hell i cant even get a square answer on what the difference between select engine 1 and select/unselect engine 1. Seems to me why assign a key to do one function when you can have one that does both!!But I guess new bbbbb are not welcome.Well besides a few really cool individuals in here.I realize they are mostly real life pilots but everyone needs to realize that we all AREN'T!!!Thats whats keeps the new bbbb away its not the complexity nor the user defined buttons.Its the laughs we get while asking legit questions so we can learn.My last post regarding the select engine X/select-unselect engine x has 50 somethin views but still noone wants to help the new guy.Its ok and I WILL come thru and smoke all of you self professed on line "ACES".
The real queation is how well do you think these "PROS" wouldve done in the real deal if they were there? Sh!ft they wouldnt have had any kids that lived!!!
But there will be some really cool ppl that will help you out.And youll prob get flames in the process.They fail to realize that it isnt that flight sims are a niche market but that alot of these ppl are so far involved that they just are beyond helping a new comer.It hurts their credibility if they step down from the tuff guy image that being a pilot transforms them into.I have dealt with the real deral when I served.Get a pilot to talk to a lowly H.T. even at p.o. grade and i'll be impressed!!!No diff here!!

By the way What is the diff tween select engine x and select/unselect engine x?Beyond me!!!!That is another whole key I could assign to something else!!

Mjollnir

weasel75
11-06-2004, 11:47 AM
AFAIK M$'s FS200x-series (blasphemie!) has the fuel-selector too, at least for some aircraft. And checking the web, X-Plane has it too....

Anybody remembers CFS2? IIRC it was there too, but I dont remember whether it really worked, but I think you had to switch some fuel-selection on startup.

Mhmm.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Any chances to include this in a later patch?

CrazyDonut
11-06-2004, 03:48 PM
CFS2, well the selector worked, alot of times i forgot to keep balance in wing tanks and when i entered combat i had a wierd flying plane lol

CdnSpits
11-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I don't see why they can't include the ability to turn individual fuel tanks on/off I think that's a good idea. Now it is possible the Val didn't have the ability to do this but i doubt it.

Assign it to the keys that Mjollnir has suggested, there are repeatative controls that need to be assigned for no reason so use those slots.

noshens
11-06-2004, 05:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif Mjollnir111675 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Atomic_Marten
11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CdnSpits:
I don't see why they can't include the ability to turn individual fuel tanks on/off I think that's a good idea. Now it is possible the Val didn't have the ability to do this but i doubt it.

Assign it to the keys that Mjollnir has suggested, there are repeatative controls that need to be assigned for no reason so use those slots. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I have shifted those tanks back in CFS2 all the time. I remember that my engine stops many times because I have selected *empty tank*. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif Why this feat isn't included in IL2-PF series, I don't know.

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 05:37 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Oh-so-useful a feature to have in FB, for the P-51

Snootles
11-06-2004, 06:33 PM
I heard something about it being impossible in the game engine. Just curious, but if something is not possible in the engine couldn't one re-program part of it to make it supported? I'm sure in the original state of Il-2, aircraft carriers were absolutely impossible. Now they're here!

It doesn't sound like too hard a feature- easier to program in than the code necessary for carriers IMO. Here's how I envision it: For each plane you have a series of variables assigned values. Each variable represents a separate fuel tank on the specific plane, and its capacity. When specific tanks are selected in flight, those tanks' values will decrease according to the fuel consumption of the engine (which depends on mix and throttle). Zero= engine out. If a specific tank was damaged, the value for that tank would decrease. If they were sealing tanks it might decrease or stop eventually.

Doesn't sound as hard as the wicked work that must have gone into the physics of the game. In fact with a little hand-holding even I might be able to do it.

weasel75
11-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Mhmm.. I dont think that Oleg let this detail out (IIRC he did not started dealing with aircrafts just with IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). So I'd rather say its not enabled yet (? BoB?).

But, on the other hand, we really have now perfect water. Something that 80% of the players will never see....... the screenshots are cool though.

DuxCorvan
11-07-2004, 09:27 AM
For Tutatis!

Even prehistoric SWOTL had fuel tank switching! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

tracker_72
11-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I agree it would be nice&wize to add fueltank selector...
One thing I found out is that self-sealing tanks DO seem to be modeled. I took some Flak in my left wing (b-25) and saw a vapour trail (accompagnied with message 'fueltank: leak') which stopped afer 2min or so... Didn't notice a rapid decrease in fuelgauges and was able to rtb.

tracker72

mike_espo
11-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Same thing happened to me with a A6M2. Got hit in fuel tank over Lenningrad map and water all around..figured with the zero's vaunted range, would not be a problem....5 minutes or less later, I was in the drink.....No way to switch fuel tanks, unlike Target Rabaul, which works just fine.

weasel75
11-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Self-sealing is modelled, but it cant help with big holes and it takes some time. But some airplanes perform here better than others, Zero for example seems to have slow or no self-sealing tanks... but thats different discussion, I was just concerned about the lack of the fuel-selectors.

Snootles
11-07-2004, 02:02 PM
The Japanese, in their philosophy of lightness and minimalism, didn't use self-sealing tanks until later in the war.

cpirrmann
11-07-2004, 02:15 PM
By the way What is the diff tween select engine x and select/unselect engine x?Beyond me!!!!That is another whole key I could assign to something else!!

I have no idea...I map a key to select each particular engine and then one to select all engines. I can so no reason why a fuel selector couldn't be modeled, it must certainly be in the functionality of the engine if other functions are modeled ( like select engine ). But, on some plane models it wouldn't be usefule as a model of the P40 (C I think?) doesn't have a fuel guage modeled in the cockpit. Probably with the self-sealing tanks in Il2, FB and AEF it wasn't bothered with and forgotten for PF. Due to long distances, I think it should be included in an add-on.

weasel75
11-08-2004, 01:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
The Japanese, in their philosophy of lightness and minimalism, didn't use self-sealing tanks until later in the war. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. Well, that would explain the correct behaviour of draining tank. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Now I just hope (for the poor pilots), that they got at least a switch and seperate tanks....