PDA

View Full Version : different days, different flying????

thefruitbat
03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I just come of uk dedicated after killing an hour i had spare, and have just had a good session (for me!)I would put myself as more advanced than a noob, but nowhere near an ace, i know enough to be dangerous, although not nowhere near as much as i would like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

my point is, somedays when i fly like today, everything (well almost) goes well, i had someone on my six today, got him to follow me into a climbing turn knowing my plane would stall later, then as he stalled kicked out the rudder got on his six, shot him down, and dived to the deck to avoid his two mates. i was hitting the tanks i was bombing, my deflection shots were hitting etc....

yesterday, admittedly i was feeling tired, but i couldn't of hit a zepplin....

i wonder during the war how many competent pilots lost there lives because they were just having an off day, but didnt have the luxery of knowing they could just turn there computer off and fight tomorrow.

then again, maybee this only happens to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

just a thought.

fruitbat

Tooz_69GIAP
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm reading a book called Tail End Charlies about the bomber war in '44-'45. It talks a lot about pilots and aircrew pushing themselves beyond their endurance, and how crew after crew wouldn't return, and those that were left (i.e. veterens) were continually pushed forward, and their tours extended, etc.

I have read some other books about fighter pilots, and the same themes run through them. Pilots simply suffering from illness or fatigue, but pushing themselves onward to fly the next sortie, only to get shot down.

I think a great number of pilots and aircrew lost their lives because they weren't quite on the ball that day. You can't peak every single day.

thefruitbat
03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
which makes me wonder about erich hartmann and others, did these guys never get ill, tired etc...

or more likely, even when they were having a bad day they were still better....

fherathras
03-01-2005, 11:39 AM
œber http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

that word scares me

FoolTrottel
03-01-2005, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thefruitbat:
which makes me wonder about erich hartmann and others, did these guys never get ill, tired etc...

or more likely, even when they were having a bad day they were still better.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must have gotten ill or tired too.
Perhaps their SA was way better than others that did not survive.
As in, "I will not engage this fight, I'm not in a favourable position".
'Favourable position' is not an absolute thing, it cannot be defined simply.

A plane's condition is important when deciding to engage or not to.
A pilot's condition just as well.... even up to: don't fly when yer tired!

(I remember a passage in the book 'Winged Victory' by mr. Yeates (not the famous one) referring to a cloudy morning in WW1, so no flying. They go to a pub. They drink. 'Round noon, they stumble out... to find the weather has cleared. They take to the skies, being, as the author states, "completely blotto".. he was amazed by how the complete flight returned to base intact. So luck must've played a part as well!
B.T.W. the book 'Winged Victory' is a great read, it was supposed to be a must-read for BOB pilots in WWII)

telsono
03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I was reading about "Pat" Pattle and his final days. He was so sick that he should have been grounded. A BF 110 crept up from below and behind him to shoot him down. One of the first things that goes when you are ill is situational awareness. Just think about how well you drive your car when you go to the doctor with a fever.