PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my video card?

CRSutton
10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
I hope to get a new 19 inch plasma monitor and replace my aging nvida64 video card. I have a three year old AMD 1.8 machine. I realize that my machine will not really take advantage of the newest cards. Could you recommend a good up grade to a mid price card that will fly PF reasonably well until I upgrade to my machine?

Thanks, this board really has been the best source of computer help.

CRSutton
10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
I hope to get a new 19 inch plasma monitor and replace my aging nvida64 video card. I have a three year old AMD 1.8 machine. I realize that my machine will not really take advantage of the newest cards. Could you recommend a good up grade to a mid price card that will fly PF reasonably well until I upgrade to my machine?

Thanks, this board really has been the best source of computer help.

JG52Uther
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Stick this in'community help' for a better response

-HH-Quazi
10-20-2004, 02:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRSutton:

Thanks, this board really has been the best source of computer help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, with your cpu, and the prices going down recently, I will suggest nothing less than a 128MB 256Bit 9800Pro. I have seen it brand new in factory shrink wrapped box on eBay for $149. Of course if you go to a retail store, prices are still not that bad, $180. It offers 8 pipxel pipelines and decent clock speeds of 380/340(680). These cards overclock well. Plus, if you luck up and get one with an R360 gpu core, you can flash a 9800XT's bios to it. But, if overclocking and flashing doesn't interest you, it is still the best bang and card for the $$$ and for your computer, imho.

CRSutton
10-20-2004, 02:38 PM
That price sounds about right. I will check it out.

Thanks.