PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to all Old Hands, and a Request

PavelKirilovich
03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
'Allo,

First a brief bit about me, then on to the meat of my question. First off, greetings to all of the old hands here, especially some of the authors whose work I've read in the Short Story thread before I registered. I played SH2, back in the day, and when I saw SH3 for $20.00 a fair few years after it was released, well that was an impulse buy and one I'm glad I made.

On to the meat of this question now. I don't see much about Seawolves, the expansion for SH3. I see a lot about mods, but I'm not sure where to go to get those, they're beside the point at the moment. What I'm asking for now, from one of the veteran Kaleuns here, is a summary of Seawolves and why it seems to be so unpopular.

From my reading of the box it sounded like a good addition to the original game, but it would seem that I'm wrong. Normally I'd make up my own mind about this, but the thing that has me asking, and had me registering in the first place, is whether or not it would screw with my original campaign files, since I'm fairly deep in and I'd hate to watch this go tits-up simply because of a half-assed expansion.

Many thanks in advance.

Yen Lo
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
That "expansion" is a bunch of free mods by the Communtiy that someone dled and put on a cd, and wants to charge you for. Apparently with Ubis consent.
Dunno if it would mess up your campaign though, most mods are available at Subsim I think.

PavelKirilovich
03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Yen Lo. I did not know that - so I will likely return this for whatever funds I can get back, and check out the SubSim website in more detail. Danke schoen.

Any other old hands have something to say about these subjects?

Liddabit
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow thats creepy that people would steal the mods and do this , I googled for it and found it even on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Hunter-Seawolves-Expansion-Pack/dp/B0009EPYTE

What a disgusting thing to do!

syndicated_CDN
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I made the same mistake as you, bought it thinking it was an official SH3 product. However, i didn't look close enough at the box to see "unofficial" in small print below the title on the box.
I installed it however, and its mainly ****. No offence to the makers of the pirated mods included in seawolves ofcourse. Perhaps they were just assembled and matched improperly, whatever the case may be, there any numerous other "expansion packs" you can download from the internet which are MUCH better, more comprehensive, more immersive and more coherant.

I recommend War Ace Campaign 2.0, other on this board will argue that GWX is the best, however you will need to have a more powerful computer than the minimum specifications for SH3 in order for it to run well.

As far as your campaign with the stock version of the game goes, there is no telling what effect installing a mod onto the game at this point will do to your save game. In some cases I've found that the transition is smooth as silk and there are no problems, other times the game will crash or other strange things will happen. At any rate, you can play out your campaign as is, or try to install the mod and see if your campaign works. If it doesn't, you can always start a new one and you shouldn't have any problems from that point on!

Good luck!

PavelKirilovich
03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Syndicated Canadian, many thanks. I will investigate WAC v2.0 and GWX.

I noticed the warning on the box, but my reasoning was that Red Orchestra and even Day of Defeat had much the same birth. So it's interesting to note that this is crass, but there are good mods available. It looks like savegames are in a seperate folder under "My Documents" in my case, so I will back that up before I try anything. I'll check out WAC and GWX.

By the way, whereabouts in Canada are you?

pmh273
03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Hello all,

Probably a dumb question, but is WAC compatible with the earlier Grey Wolves mod (which I'm running), or do I even need it? Unfortunately I don't think my machine is good enough for GWX just yet (or SH4 either come to think of it)

Cheers!

VikingGrandad
03-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Yen Lo:
Apparently with Ubis consent.

Not true. Apparently Ubi even got their lawyers to warn X1 software about trying to make out that Seawolves was endorsed by Ubisoft.

danurve
03-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by pmh273:
Hello all,

Probably a dumb question, but is WAC compatible with the earlier Grey Wolves mod (which I'm running), or do I even need it? Unfortunately I don't think my machine is good enough for GWX just yet (or SH4 either come to think of it)

Cheers!

I don't belive it is compatable but I can tell you this, with WAC you wouldn't need to worry about missing out. Intense harbour traffic, battles, detail, pantload of shipping - convoys, task force reports, all that jazz. As with any mod that adds intense detail close to land units etc., beware of the [.] camera view bug.
Almost forgot to mention I hear that time-line msgs mod is good too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

http://mysh3.info/WAC/images/wac_2.jpg

PavelKirilovich
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Not true. Apparently Ubi even got their lawyers to warn X1 software about trying to make out that Seawolves was endorsed by Ubisoft.

Very true. The front of the Seawolves (Presumably this is called Grey Wolves in some parts of the world) box says, from top to bottom:

Expansion Pack for Silent Hunter III
Seawolves
Submarines on Hunt
Non Official & Not Endorsed by UbiSoft.

Many thanks to the community here for the prompt replies and pointers in the direction of mods that I'm hoping will kick some major ***. Personally I'm loving "Stock" SH3/v1.4 for it's realism already, so anything increasing that and I may end up burning more time on patrols than I already do. This... is likely a mixed blessing.

pmh273
03-22-2007, 03:53 AM
I made the mistake of buying this as well some time ago, After looking at this forum the disc never made it anywhere near my DVD drive. Thanks Danurve for the info on WAC by the way.

Cheers all! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif