PDA

View Full Version : Running out of ammo in the P47

Daiichidoku
09-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I often fly the P47...at least in FB, my favorite fighter...fast, very tough, rules high alt...

Since the .50s were "fixed" (and I like them them very much, ty), I have noticed something different...

Used to be, as I recall, that when ammo supply was nearly exhausted, one would be left with only a few guns firing...I knew it was time to RTB...

Now, that doesn't happen...I usually have a good idea of when I'm low on ammo, but now, there's no warning...all the guns run out at the same time....very often at the worst times...

Can anyone tell me if running out of ammo in all the guns at once is historically accurate? Or would some guns run out a little earlier, and give the pilot a clue to his situation?

Also, was there any sort of ammo counter in the P47, or any US types, as in the 109/190 series?

I know that M60s would have tracer in the last few rounds of an ammo belt to indicate this, any sort of sys like this for US aircraft?

Daiichidoku
09-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I often fly the P47...at least in FB, my favorite fighter...fast, very tough, rules high alt...

Since the .50s were "fixed" (and I like them them very much, ty), I have noticed something different...

Used to be, as I recall, that when ammo supply was nearly exhausted, one would be left with only a few guns firing...I knew it was time to RTB...

Now, that doesn't happen...I usually have a good idea of when I'm low on ammo, but now, there's no warning...all the guns run out at the same time....very often at the worst times...

Can anyone tell me if running out of ammo in all the guns at once is historically accurate? Or would some guns run out a little earlier, and give the pilot a clue to his situation?

Also, was there any sort of ammo counter in the P47, or any US types, as in the 109/190 series?

I know that M60s would have tracer in the last few rounds of an ammo belt to indicate this, any sort of sys like this for US aircraft?

Maple_Tiger
09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I notice the same thing.

It kind of makes me feel that it now has less amo.

WUAF_Badsight
09-27-2004, 11:44 PM
yea a gun on the right always used to have more ammo than any other , was always the last to fire

same effect was in the Mustang & hurricane (.303 models) B4 2.04 . . . . . will have to go back & re-test now . . .

WOLFMondo
09-28-2004, 06:12 AM
I count the bullets as the come out and make mental note... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Seriously though I remember that, now im completely lost on how much ammo I have left, it would be nice to know if there was an ammo counter somewhere on the P47.

Maple_Tiger
09-28-2004, 06:46 AM
I have also tride to count the bullits as they come out...

But, I can't keep up.

DangerForward
09-28-2004, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maple_Tiger:
I notice the same thing.

It kind of makes me feel that it now has less amo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had posted a while back that the guns appeared to fire unevenly on the P47 and Hurricane, while they didn't on the FW190, maybe they fixed that. It used to cause the P47 to twist more as it fired and thus be more inaccurate, like one side was firing before the other.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-28-2004, 08:54 AM
The P-51 still has the "diminishing rounds" effect. Not sure why it was dropped for the jug though.

VW-IceFire
09-28-2004, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
The P-51 still has the "diminishing rounds" effect. Not sure why it was dropped for the jug though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats because the outer guns are actually armed with less ammo.

400 rpg in the inner
275 rpg in the outer guns

With the Jug its full loads on all guns. Its actually quite a bit of ammunition.

When AEP came out...all the tracers were synced to fire at the same time. Before that, they streamed randomly from each gun. On the Spitfire IXe they still do that. In any case...I don't really have any trouble with it. My suggestion is to use at least 3 seconds from the inner guns on the Jug and then fire using full guns. That way those guns you fired first will run out before the others (the Jug's guns being 4 on primary, 4 on secondary).

GR142_Astro
09-30-2004, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
My suggestion is to use at least 3 seconds from the inner guns on the Jug and then fire using full guns. That way those guns you fired first will run out before the others (the Jug's guns being 4 on primary, 4 on secondary). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple solution, good idea.

As a vaguely related aside, not long ago on Warclouds I found myself flying too close to my wingman, almost directly underneath. He was in the shooter position and I'll never forget the sight when he fired his guns. I had to laugh when this torrent of brass pelted my canopy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cool game.

theaircobra
09-30-2004, 06:02 PM
well, i have an historic answer to see if you were running out of ammo. ive read a book call "an ace of the eigth" and the pilots flew jugs and mustangs. the pilot said that the tracers didnt come until the last 50 rounds.

Aaron_GT
10-04-2004, 08:23 AM
"As a vaguely related aside, not long ago on Warclouds I found myself flying too close to my wingman, almost directly underneath. He was in the shooter position and I'll never forget the sight when he fired his guns. I had to laugh when this torrent of brass pelted my canopy. "

I had a similar experience when doing WW2 reenacting. My friend off to my left started up with his M1 rifle and there was a series of clangs off my helmet as his spent shells bounced off my helnet.

Cajun76
10-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Additional benefit to squirting off a burst with one set, is that now all your tracers don't come out at the exact time, it generally "un-syncs" the tracers from each other, although if timed right , they would resync.