PDA

View Full Version : Map icons or the lack thereof and realism...

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:41 PM
In light of the good read post I just made courtesy of loon from the Out House map icons take on a different light. Interesting thing the part about the tower giving him pointers on the location of the bandit...makes you think about map icons and the whole realism debate...at least map icons with your plane on them. As it is now oncew you take off if you dont keep a visual reference for where you are you can be lost PDQ. At least the real pilots took navigation lessons. I think map icons with your plane only should be a must on any server......... what do you guys think.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:41 PM
In light of the good read post I just made courtesy of loon from the Out House map icons take on a different light. Interesting thing the part about the tower giving him pointers on the location of the bandit...makes you think about map icons and the whole realism debate...at least map icons with your plane on them. As it is now oncew you take off if you dont keep a visual reference for where you are you can be lost PDQ. At least the real pilots took navigation lessons. I think map icons with your plane only should be a must on any server......... what do you guys think.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 07:53 PM
I agree, it's harder than real life to orient yourself in FB. The little plane thingy is good (& cute too)

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Gets much easier with practice also you must establish your course prior to take-off and stick it...have faith in your compass. The accuracy of the maps we have and how they match to the terrian is much better than the maps used then. Its tough to pinpoint a location at low alt. but if you go up its rather easy.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Well my spatial sense is rubbish so I quite like having an icon for my own plane.

Offline I quite like being able to have a quick glance at the map to locate enemies - I think of it as Fighter Control giving me vectors on bandits.

Online, any map icons other than your own is a definite shift into arcade territory - maybe fun for a a bit, but for me ultimately a shallow and unrewarding experience.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Most of the time I don't want to bother w/ navigation, and enjoy the icon; I consider it a navigation skill simulator.

Sometimes it's nice to try and find your way around. It's pretty easy to use landmarks. I can't imagine navigating just w/ a watch and compass.

<center> http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/images/crazyPilot.gif
<font size= 2>

<a href="http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/"><font size= 2> Stick_Fiend Home<a/><font size= 2>
"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 10:35 PM
i think both the "minimap path" and the "map icons" option detract a lot from realism and make the flying experience far less immersive, "minimap path" gets rid of navigation issues, "map icons" gets rid of the so called "situation awareness" aspect, turn these options on and you'll be missing on 50% of the ww2 era feeling... on the other hand, i think the "no icons" option is something you should keep off because this makes up for our screens low res...
only thing i cant put up with is your route won't show up if you turn the "minimap path" off, dunno why, i think pilots would sketch down the planned route on their maps before taking off, but it's not the case here on il2 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 03:24 AM
garbazzz wrote:
- only thing i cant put up with is your route won't
- show up if you turn the "minimap path" off,...

I figured out (from experience in FB) how you can simulate having your route pictured on your map with minimap path on, but without seeing your plane icon -it happens to me all the time - just leave minimap path on, and then fly so far off course that your plane icon doesn't show up anywhere near your flight path on the map.

Seriously, I do wish there was an option to turn the your-plane icon off but leave the route marked. But I guess if you want to do that you could just print out the map and mark your path on it in grease pencil or whatever they used back then, and not use the in-game map at all.

Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas.

... "Stuka-Lied"

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Yup - option to take off white plane but keep mimimap path would be good.

Mark

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Well, in real life you, exept when flying instrumental flights, will be sitting with one finger in the chart and thereby always know where you are, so it makes sence to have this little white thingy representing your finger, on the other hand, I know WW2 pilots were good but I don't think they were able to fight and keep a finger on the chart. So it helps having this "finger" enroute but realism is achieved by printing the charts and having them on your knee and using your finger while flying. I use the little white thingy in the sim and my finger in real life..

rgds

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 09:47 AM
I customarily fly with all icons off (map and ingame). After the first 2000 missions of getting lost in my 190A4 and being jumped and savaged by U2 biplanes (those peashooters are VICIOUS at close range /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ), I gradually developed situational awareness and the ability to correlate what I saw on the ground with what was on the map - rivers and patches of forest are very helpful!

Now, feeling superior, I LAUGH at people who want map icons on and CRY when I see dogfight servers with aircraft icons!

Only joking, have fun in the skies!

IV/JG7_4Shades

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:10 AM
I leave the individuals map icon intact when I host...

the other map icons are disabled

The player icons are either totaly off or limited to 2.0 for enemy & 2.3 for friendlys. with no padlock open pit & externals...

Its lots of fun like that!!!

<center><font size="7" color="red">Dedicated Server.exe Ya right!!![/i]</font>

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 10:09 PM
jmmoric wrote:
I use the little white thingy in the sim and my finger
- in real life..

umm, how does your wife feel about this ?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Maybe in Coop. But when you respawn and take off, I find myself running after every little speck checking to see if they are the enemy. More times than not, they are flying from the same color that I carry, from the same side. I waste a lot of time this way. Now if there were any way to communicate with my army to ask their positions or where the action is on the map, then I like the idea of no map icons. And there are some servers that are linked with comms sites and encourage comms. One of the servers that do this is virtualpilot 1 & 2. Bit, it dosen't seem that anyone is interested in using comms, which blows me away. If there are comm connections available on a server or with a server, I connect before I start flying the map, just in case some one does the same. I just like the idea of team work. But in general. I favor the more realism settings on servers. S! to you Bearcat! S! to all.