PDA

View Full Version : What if Assassin's Creed 3 protagonist is black?

POP1Fan
08-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Since the hints provided by Ubisoft indicate that ACIII will be in America during the American Revolution what if the protagonist would be black?

I think it would be a cool thing,but what do you think?

ps:i am not black http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Jexx21
08-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Your choices suck.

Yes and I don't have a problem are two different answers.

No, it's stupid is just a bad as your bottom choice.

I will take everything they do sounds like your some masochist that will take beatings.

I don't even need to elaborate on the last one.

And also, where are these hints that it will be in the US during the US revolution? I was thinking more French Revolution actually.

sassinscreed
08-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by POP1Fan:
Since the hints provided by Ubisoft indicate that ACIII will be in America during the American Revolution what if the protagonist would be black?

if he would be black i think that he wouldn't be white

POP1Fan
08-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
Your choices suck.

Yes and I don't have a problem are two different answers.

No, it's stupid is just a bad as your bottom choice.

I will take everything they do sounds like your some masochist that will take beatings.

I don't even need to elaborate on the last one.

And also, where are these hints that it will be in the US during the US revolution? I was thinking more French Revolution actually.
there are also the coordinates from the Da Vinci Dissapearence DLC that lead to some place in New York.

reini03
08-27-2011, 02:41 AM
As long as he's badass and knows how to stab people, I don't care about his color.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 02:48 AM
I have no opinion on it. The ethnicity is not what makes a character well written and fleshed out. However, I hope that Ubisoft doesn't feel any pressure to make all of their protagonists white. There was a lot of time between Desmond and his ancestors, enough time to give Desmond the skin colors and facial characteristics he has now.

Jakob4242
08-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by POP1Fan:
there are also the coordinates from the Da Vinci Dissapearence DLC that lead to some place in New York.

Those coordinates don't designate a period in time. They most likely have something to do with the present day storyline. If I'm not mistaken William M. (Possibly Him) sends a team once he has the coordinates at the end of the DLC, though it's been a while since I played this.

Jakob4242
08-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
I hope that Ubisoft doesn't feel any pressure to make all of their protagonists white. There was a lot of time between Desmond and his ancestors, enough time to give Desmond the skin colors and facial characteristics he has now.

Is Altair actually white?

Rakudaton
08-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by sassinscreed:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by POP1Fan:

if he would be black i think that he wouldn't be white </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like the sort of thing a Zen Buddhist would say. Deep. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

D.I.D.
08-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Sure, as long as they don't make the character a cartoon of "blackness", like 99% of black characters in games up to now.

LightRey
08-27-2011, 04:19 AM
What hints exactly are we talking about here?

SevketErhat
08-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:

I guess he refers to end of Da Vinci Dissaperance

POP1Fan
08-27-2011, 05:22 AM
the ending to The Da Vinci Dissapearence and the thing whit the Masonic Eye and the Phrygian Cap.

LightRey
08-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by SevketErhat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I guess he refers to end of Da Vinci Dissaperance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah, those are barely hints for a location of the next AC, let alone the time.

Assassin_M
08-27-2011, 06:07 AM
This Thread is Racist and Offending.

SevketErhat
08-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Still waiting for the French Revolution setting

Rakudaton
08-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:

No it isn't.

It really isn't.

LightRey
08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Rakudaton:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:

No it isn't.

It really isn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, it could easily become racist and offending, but at this stage it's still just a somewhat provocative question.

Assassin_M
08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rakudaton:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:

No it isn't.

Yeah, it could easily become racist and offending, but at this stage it's still just a somewhat provocative question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This thread is basically just saying "do You Like Blacks" ?

LightRey
08-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rakudaton:

No it isn't.

Yeah, it could easily become racist and offending, but at this stage it's still just a somewhat provocative question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This thread is basically just saying "do You Like Blacks" ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not really. This really only sounds offending to some people because of the constant focus in the US on racism. Really, this question isn't much different as asking whether or not you would like it if the next ancestor would be a woman or an asian guy.

SixKeys
08-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Not really. This really only sounds offending to some people because of the constant focus in the US on racism. Really, this question isn't much different as asking whether or not you would like it if the next ancestor would be a woman or an asian guy.

Or gay.

I agree with LightRey, especially since we all know how rare black protagonists generally are in games. Game companies really seem to have this irrational fear that people won't buy their games if the protagonist is anything besides a white hetero male. Market research would be much easier if they just polled gamers directly and asked "does it matter if the game's protagonist would be non-white?". So far - at least in this thread - the answer seems to be no, which makes me wonder why this stereotype still persists.

ShaneO7K
08-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by SixKeys:

Or gay.

I agree with LightRey, especially since we all know how rare black protagonists generally are in games. Game companies really seem to have this irrational fear that people won't buy their games if the protagonist is anything besides a white hetero male. Market research would be much easier if they just polled gamers directly and asked "does it matter if the game's protagonist would be non-white?". So far - at least in this thread - the answer seems to be no, which makes me wonder why this stereotype still persists.

Games have a habit of making the black characters not have a really interesting personallity or make them fit a stereotype. Which annoys some of the community.

But this doesn't happen all the time, an example of a good black video game character would probably be CJ in GTA:SA.

I wouldn't be against a black protagonist as long as it fits with AC's story and if he fits with being Desmonds ancestor and not just somebody they throw in the game just to be unique.

kosmoscreed
08-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't think it will happen, never, in my opinion a game with a white protagonist is more marketable, also more marketable with a man than a woman.

Not saying that this is right but it's how it it is.

SixKeys
08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by kosmoscreed:
I don't think it will happen, never, in my opinion a game with a white protagonist is more marketable, also more marketable with a man than a woman.

Not saying that this is right but it's how it it is.

I get tired of people saying something could "never" happen in video games. Portal has a popular female protagonist, in Dragon Age we now have lots of fluidity regarding character sexuality and in Mass Effect you can make your Shepard any ethnicity you want. These things were probably unthinkable 20-30 years ago, but that's hardly "never". Marketing always takes a long time to get with the times, but gamers themselves don't seem to have a problem with variety as long as the character is well-rounded and appealing.

Also, as somebody pointed out before, Alta´r wasn't exactly white either. You could argue that since he looked like Desmond in the first game, he was intentionally portrayed as more caucasian on posters and such, but considering his cultural background, in canon he was likely more dark- than light-skinned.

chizzy12
08-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure Desmond would be the protagonist...Why wouldn't he be?

LightRey
08-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by chizzy12:
I'm pretty sure Desmond would be the protagonist...Why wouldn't he be?
He probably will be, but there will very likely be a new Ancestor too, who would be a protagonist as well.

SixKeys
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Desmond may be the main protagonist of the overall series, but you never see him on the covers, posters and other marketing material. Most people care about the cool historical ancestors and it's generally assumed that the person being spotlighted on the cover is the protagonist. So far Desmond has only played bit parts in the games anyway, 90% of the gameplay happens inside the Animus.

ShaneO7K
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
Desmond may be the main protagonist of the overall series, but you never see him on the covers, posters and other marketing material. Most people care about the cool historical ancestors and it's generally assumed that the person being spotlighted on the cover is the protagonist. So far Desmond has only played bit parts in the games anyway, 90% of the gameplay happens inside the Animus.

Yeah but AC3 could maybe see Desmond in the main cover with possibly the ancestor beside him, past AC games have really been leading up to the point where Desmond will be the "Ultimate Assassin" and being that AC3 is supposed to be the end of Desmonds trilogy it should feature him alot more.

Black_Widow9
08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
This Topic has every opportunity to become offensive. It shouldn't matter what ethnicity another character may become in a future game.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>