PDA

View Full Version : weapons convergence bomb delay's???

joe3rd
02-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Anyone have any guides ect on weapons ie (guns cannons rockets) and bomb delay settings?
Sorry the answer I got in H/L "depends on one's flight style" just doesn't get the job done.
Any real advice would at least be a starting point.

VW-IceFire
02-27-2005, 09:42 PM
To be totally honest...the response on HL is the correct one. YOU need to invest in some time to figure out what personally suits your style.

How do you approach targets with bombs? Whats the distance you typically open fire at (what feels natural and right to you). These aren't things that I or anyone else can answer for you. That said, heres some very small pointers.

Or rather, this is what I've got setup.

Bomb Delay = 3 seconds

Reason: I fly in at low altitudes at very high speeds 400 kph+ to drop bombs and then get out so this is ideal but not too long as to prevent a kill on a moving vehicle)

Gun Convergence
- Machine Gun = 270
- Cannon = 250
Reason: I tend to fly FW190s, Spitfires, and Mustangs. The Machine guns at 270 represent the typical range to which I open fire with the .50cals. It also is a good middle ground for the lobbing of the MG151/20 shells on the primary inner cannons on A model FW190s. Cannons are a bit tighter in because I tend to use machine guns or whatevers on primary trigger to find the proper deflection and then open full up later so by that point I'm closer in.

But this doesn't mean it'll be ideal for you. Some strictly Mustang pilots prefer 200 meters convergence which is too close for me but ideal for them.

Red_Russian13
02-27-2005, 11:29 PM
My preference for most is about 300m. It varies depending on what I'm flying. I never go over 300m though.

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-28-2005, 12:26 AM
The bomb delay tells the bomb how many seconds it must wait before exploding when it hits the target or the ground. I have it set to 3 seconds also. This will get you clear of the bombblast when you are flying low. exploding by your owb bombblast is such an idiot way to die. Bombdelay works with ships now also (PF 3.04)

Delay on the rockets: This tells the rockets after how many seconds it will explode after it has been launched. Set this number to something like 20 or 30 if you don't want to explode them while they are still flying. They always explode on impact, no matter what the delay is.

Gun convergence is entirely personal. I set all my guns to the same convergence. I use 150m for when I want to hunt other aircraft and 300m when i want to destroy ground targets. In a dogfight, I always want the enemy to come close so, it is harder to miss. I often find myself firing from even shorter ranges. For groundpounding, there should be some more distance. But, experiment a bit with those settings to discover what works best with you.

ClnlSandersLite
02-28-2005, 06:42 AM
I fly the lightning so I almost never change convergence. Rockets I set to 500m for ground attack though. When I am flying something else, it really depends on what I'm flying. If it's a Turn and Burn fighter I tend to get to 150m. If it's a high speed energy fighter, I use 300m. If I'm in a plane that does a little of both but my opponent type is unknown, I'll use 250m. If I'm ground attacking I use 500m regardless of what I'm in.

As for bomb delay, I do not use it. I got used to droping ordinance back in the good old days before we had such nicities and just learned how to do it without bieng scorched. The only time I'll use it is with on the deck type level bombing (land only, I got into the habit of not using it on ships). If that's the case, I divide the ordinance rating in pounds by 300, rounded up. So for a 1000 pound bomb, 4 seconds. For a 500, 2 seconds. Anything smaller, 1 second. Of course, when I'm making these attacks I'm moving at 350mph+.

fherathras
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
thats nice

joe3rd
02-28-2005, 09:03 PM
This was all I needed, thanks VW IceFire and gang!!! ^5
As I was setting my cannons at 1000m and guns at 750m and
hitting well actually pulverizing other aicraft without
even damaging them yet actually seeing the rounds hit
I was wondering what was going on I thought everyone was on
immortal mode except me, or that my dialup was so slow that
my hits weren't registering online.
Will reset weapons convergences down to about 375m as
basically I'm a mudmover.
Thanks again all I needed was a general reference point
with which to start L@@king

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 09:34 PM
I found that anthing over 225 was not as effective for me.

VF-29_Sandman
03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
if u fly nose mounted guns, convergance isnt quite as critical in comparison to wing mounts. bomb delay also depends on: do u bomb at low alts, skip bomb. if u have it set to zero, the bombs will explode on impact and will take u down with it.

Vipez-
03-01-2005, 09:49 AM
I am Surprised to see such big convergences used by others.. i allways use around 100 - 150 m.. for nose mounted cannons this is not as important as wing mounted cannons (spitfires, p47s, p40s etc).. if you open fire at 100 meters from bogey, and convergence at 300 m you will miss 9 / 10 of ur bullets..

As for bomb delay, i'd say there are two ways to bomb. Dive bomb (with 90 degree stuka-dive or more gentle dive.. in these cases i find 0 delay the best, as for example when bombing concrete airfield, with delay your bombs are very likely to ricochet from the ground and therefor you miss bombs..

Jabo style is the second style. This is going extremely low, lets say 10-50 meters from ground and drop bombs at this altitude. Depending on plane 0.7 secons - 4 sec delay is required not to blow yourself..

For example, you fly tb3 you better use atleast 5sec delay so you escape the blast radius of 1000 kg bombs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rocket, convergence where you like to fire the rcokets at.. i use around 200 meters. Note, small rocket delay means rockets will blow almost intantly in front of you, so add some delay if you want to hit ground targets..

LeadSpitter_
03-01-2005, 09:56 AM
wingcannon on the 190 or gunpods i use 300 myself and always has exploding power at that range, hispanos the same and 30mm with the ki84c can use 500m with 1 burst exploding power

for the zekes 20mm wingcannon 300 seems to far and takes many hits 200-250 range seems much more powerful with exploding power

.50cal i need to use 225-150 for stopping power and still most occasions will take a few passes of 2-3 second bursts on 190s and late war 109s, the f2 f4 g2 seem to take just one short burst to stop the engine with 150

.303s anything 200+ seems ineffective.

Im not sure if nose mounted cannon raises the arc with 500 like it use to but check it out it shouldnt but use to

joe3rd
03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifAaah! Much Better!!! Just wanted to say thanks again guy's! Guns 225m Cannon 300m,
I finally know what it's like to chop off an oppenents wing Online!
Thanks!!! and Well Done!!!

F19_Ob
03-05-2005, 02:39 AM
I agree with those who say that a concentrated burst with short conergence (around 200m) is very effective.

However I normally fly slower planes than the opposition so short ranges are out of the question for me.
In a light mg equipped hurricane I prefer to have convergence set to 300m because it enables an ok hit-pattern up to 600m wich is very important when flying against 109's or fw190 because the experienced foes wont give u more than a few secs of firing time before they are beyond 300m, in best case.
In my opinion U lose many shooting opportunities if u set the convergence below 300m in a slower plane (compared to the opposition).

This is also the convergence I use on il-2.
The il-2 is in a category of its own when it comes to firing. The bullet-stream is dense up to 600m but it still possible to damage or take out an enemy beyond that up to 900m.
Although my convergence is set to 300m it still works well on 800 because i roll my plane so my bullets line up along the enemys flightpath instead of passing on both sides of it.
On shorter ranges U dont always have time to roll like this but more distance also gives u more time.

If u have an opportunity to fire on a shorter range than your covergence is set to on can generally say that its no problem because U can use rudder to hose the plane infront if u feel that its not immediatly killed.
It is ofcourse not a so concentrated burst that kills in a second but on the otherhand its very unlikely to get so close with a slower plane.
So in my opinon shorter convergence should be used only by faster fighters who can get in range, on frequentbasis, for a short fast-killing shot. Thus I think convergence depends on if u are in a fast or slow plane.

-------------------------------

Rockets i set up on longest range since I often use them on flak guns and I want to take them out before I come in too close.
Remember that flakguns should be attacked in a curved decending approach so the gun must follow and try to anticipate your moves.
A straight approach is normally suicide since the flak then dont need deflection, but with luck u can pull it off.
-----------------------------

Bombdelay depends a little on what plane and the bombload.
A fast fighter needs only two seconds for most low level attacks but a slow bomber like the Tb3 may need up to 9 secs to be safe from the bigger bomb blast.

My take on it.

PBNA-Boosher
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I generally keep my convergence settings to 225 meters. It works incredibly well for me in the Bf-109, the Yak-1 and 1B, as well as planes like the P-39 and P-38. In the P-40B/C/E/M series I generally tend to take 270 because, especially in the B/C series, you need to let all the guns on the wings have a chance to get level. The Mustang is still a plane that I'm having trouble with. I prefer the B or C version, with the rear view mirror, but I need to find my convergence settings for it still. It's a different plane to fly than most, it needs special attention, but when my P-40 isn't available, I need to know how to operate it.

F19_Orheim
03-05-2005, 08:39 AM
100-250 m depending on airplane. I rarely fly the extreme B/Z-planes. I seldom fly missions/dogfightmaps after 1943.

LStarosta
03-05-2005, 10:55 AM
I, like all aces, set my convergence to r0xx0rz meters. Fact.

Lizard_Lipps
03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
The US Navy and Marine Corps set their convergence at 300yards. for meters yu do the math

WOLFMondo
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I like 250 for air to air, 500 for ground attack or when I know im attacking bombers rather than fighters. If flying biplanes or early war 150.

MEGILE
03-05-2005, 03:50 PM
200m for every gun ever invented.

Lewicide
03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
400m for cannons (except 30mm 108 and 37mm) and HMG's and Mg combo's if I'm going after bombers, it allows me to start taking out the gunners before getting suicidely close. 200m for the 30mm/37mm pair so I dont waste ammo. 150m for anything with just 303's or Mg's to ensure I'm within effective range. 280m for everything if in going against fighters (except Mg only armament which stays at 150m).