PDA

View Full Version : Question from a semi-noob

the_Wakeful
03-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, I used to play IL-2 and the rest, but I haven't played in a few years. Today I saw 1946 for sale on steam for 10 bucks (with 3 other games, to boot) and I snapped it up. Now I have a problem, I can remember how to fly just fine but I can't figure out how to set this game up just right.
For one, there is no version number on the loading or home screen while in the game, so I don't know which version steam gave me. Any guesses on how to figure this out/patch if I need to?

Two, I went through the steps to set up widescreen in the conf file and it made the game appear centered in my monitor, but not widescreen.

Three, and the biggest piece, How do I make the game look like it does in the High-res screenshots I see on this forum? I played one quickmission as a test (USSR, Hurricane, low-level strafing run) and it looked like the same boring flatness as the original IL-2. Is there a patch/mod or just a new set of maps or something?

Four, How do I tell which missions/campaigns are from which game (IL-2, PF, 1946, etc)? My version loads with the PF skin (Corsairs and ocean in the background pic) but I want to play the 1946 content first, as I've played PF before. Unfortunately I can't tell which campaigns go with which version.

Thanks for the help. It's good to be flying again, and given a little practice I'm sure I'll be joining you online sometime soon.

the_Wakeful
03-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, I used to play IL-2 and the rest, but I haven't played in a few years. Today I saw 1946 for sale on steam for 10 bucks (with 3 other games, to boot) and I snapped it up. Now I have a problem, I can remember how to fly just fine but I can't figure out how to set this game up just right.
For one, there is no version number on the loading or home screen while in the game, so I don't know which version steam gave me. Any guesses on how to figure this out/patch if I need to?

Two, I went through the steps to set up widescreen in the conf file and it made the game appear centered in my monitor, but not widescreen.

Three, and the biggest piece, How do I make the game look like it does in the High-res screenshots I see on this forum? I played one quickmission as a test (USSR, Hurricane, low-level strafing run) and it looked like the same boring flatness as the original IL-2. Is there a patch/mod or just a new set of maps or something?

Four, How do I tell which missions/campaigns are from which game (IL-2, PF, 1946, etc)? My version loads with the PF skin (Corsairs and ocean in the background pic) but I want to play the 1946 content first, as I've played PF before. Unfortunately I can't tell which campaigns go with which version.

Thanks for the help. It's good to be flying again, and given a little practice I'm sure I'll be joining you online sometime soon.

the_Wakeful
03-30-2009, 12:40 AM
<B>Update</B>: version number is there and reads 4.07m

Thanks!

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Ok, apply the 4.08 patch.

2. For widescreen did you follow the steps here: How to get IL246 running in widescreen (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7111009546)

3. You'll want to turn on perfect landscape in the options. If perfect is not available start a new thread in community help section and we'll fix that.

4. Not sure, don't play much offline and when I do it's user made campaigns.

crucislancer
03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_Wakeful:
Four, How do I tell which missions/campaigns are from which game (IL-2, PF, 1946, etc)? My version loads with the PF skin (Corsairs and ocean in the background pic) but I want to play the 1946 content first, as I've played PF before. Unfortunately I can't tell which campaigns go with which version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome back to it.

Here is the breakdown of where the static campaigns come from:

Luftwaffe:
Fighter - Original IL-2
Burning Streak - 1946 add-on
The Rebel - 1946 add-on

Japanese Navy:
Glowing Glory - Sturmoviks Over Manchuria

Russia:
Fighter - Original IL-2
Bomber - Original IL-2
Pe-2 Front Lines - Pe-2 Peshka add-on
Pe-2 Navy Bomber - Pe-2 Peshka add-on
Blinding Sun - Pe-2 Peshka aad-on
Burning Ridge - Pe-2 Peshka add-on
Sturmoviks over Manchuria - Sturmoviks over Manchuria add-on
VVS '46 - 1946 add-on

I think that covers all the static campaigns. Some of these are pretty good, detailed briefings and fairly intense missions. I just finished Burning Streak the other day, which I thought was a solid campaign featuring the new planes, and I've been slowly working on some of the others.

The Dgen campaigns, IIRC, most are from Forgotten Battles and Aces Expansion Pack, with the American, Japanese, and British Commonwealth campaigns all coming from Pacific Fighters.

After you patch up to 4.08m, head on over to mission4today.com. They have a ton of user made static campaigns, most are quite good.

Uufflakke
03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
You can patch up to V4.08 or V4.09 beta. Where to download and what you get you can find on the homepage of this site.

For all kind of mods like new maps, stock maps with new textures, retextured cockpits, etc etc search for Allaircraftarcade. Let Google be your friend because it is not allowed to link directly from here.

Have fun!

the_Wakeful
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys, I got the 4.08 patch installed, but it still doesn't look as pretty as some of the high res screens. Guess I'll just have to go find some of those skins somewhere.

In any case, I'm pretty terrible now. It took me at least 4 trys to land a plane without destroying it. I'm looking forward to being a sheep for the slaughter in multiplayer.

ImMoreBetter
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_Wakeful:
Thanks guys, I got the 4.08 patch installed, but it still doesn't look as pretty as some of the high res screens. Guess I'll just have to go find some of those skins somewhere.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's important to note that some (but definitely not all) of the pics in the high res picture thread are digitally altered.

But the game can still look great if you set it up correctly.

You can use this (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=27) guide at M4T to optimize the built in graphics. You can change these in the conf.ini file in your game folder. (Right click on IL2 &gt; Open file location &gt; conf.ini (or just conf). Scroll down to [Render_OpenGL]. )

As a side note, when you start up the game, click on 'Hardware setup' then, 'Video Modes' and make sure your driver is set to 'Open GL'.
DirectX will never deliver the best graphics the game can offer.

Various mods on the site that Uufflakke mentioned can also improve graphics.

the_Wakeful
03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I realize there's a lot of photoshop in them. What I'm looking for in my game is the landscape and cloud detail. My landscapes (on perfect) are mostly just a flat texture with a few random trees sticking out, while in those pics people have landscapes with every hedgerow and field modeled. Any ideas how that is achieved?

Zeus-cat
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
the_Wakeful,

Sounds like you need my takeoff and landing training campaign. Follow the link in my sig.

The missions are VERY quick; typically 2 to 3 minutes each. I guarantee that you will learn a lot playing it.

ImMoreBetter
03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I realize there's a lot of photoshop in them. What I'm looking for in my game is the landscape and cloud detail. My landscapes (on perfect) are mostly just a flat texture with a few random trees sticking out, while in those pics people have landscapes with every hedgerow and field modeled. Any ideas how that is achieved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of which can be found in the Conf.ini settings, especially regarding water, forests, clouds, and lighting.

Some of which can be found in mods.

But most of which is probably due to the 4.09 Beta, which has several new maps with vastly improved ground detail. However, by patching up to 4.09b, you will likely miss out on many of the online servers, which mostly run 4.08.

I'm not sure if you can download a switcher somewhere, but if you have hard drive space to burn, you can do what I did.
I made a copy of ALL my IL2 files, renamed it (I just tacked a 9 on the end), and patched that copy up to 4.09b. When I want to play 4.09, I change the file name to regular 'IL2 Sturmovik 1946', or whatever, and rename my 4.08m version.

ImMoreBetter
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Missed edit button, hit quote instead. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WTE_Galway
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I realize there's a lot of photoshop in them. What I'm looking for in my game is the landscape and cloud detail. My landscapes (on perfect) are mostly just a flat texture with a few random trees sticking out, while in those pics people have landscapes with every hedgerow and field modeled. Any ideas how that is achieved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need perfect first - and then the amount of trees is a setting in the config file.

the_Wakeful
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, I went through the conf file, but only one option could be set higher than it already was (water from 2 to 4). Also, i think the conf file is missing some stuff, as there is no line for setting the clouds. Weird.

Also, I tried to dl your tutorial Zeus-Cat, but the download link was broken. You might want to check that out.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. These are some of the most helpful forums I have ever found.

Uufflakke
03-30-2009, 11:54 PM

Well, I did not Photoshop anything in the High Rez screenshots thread. Like I said before you can get better textures (like your above mentioned hedgerows and fields), clouds, plane shine whatever at AAA.
Just changing your conf.ini or hardware settings is not enough.

WTE_Galway
03-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Well, I went through the conf file, but only one option could be set higher than it already was (water from 2 to 4). Also, i think the conf file is missing some stuff, as there is no line for setting the clouds. Weird.

Also, I tried to dl your tutorial Zeus-Cat, but the download link was broken. You might want to check that out.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. These are some of the most helpful forums I have ever found. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure that the number of trees is controlled by a setting with a name like "forests" .

However you must have "perfect" mode selected before it does anything useful.

There are quite a few utilities around that automatically set these sort of options .. go to "Mission 4 Today" and see what ones you like the look of and download some.

the_Wakeful
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Uufflakke:
Well, I did not Photoshop anything in the High Rez screenshots thread. Like I said before you can get better textures (like your above mentioned hedgerows and fields), clouds, plane shine whatever at AAA.
Just changing your conf.ini or hardware settings is not enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do that, thanks.

Also, WTE_Galway, my graphics settings are already on perfect, as far as I can tell (landscape set to perfect in video options).

In other news, I can finally land straight again! On a good day anyways...