PDA

View Full Version : Question unrelated to Chessmaster

Undefdisfigure
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
After visiting some derogatory sites I chose to download Smart-Browser. Which is essentially a hijacker software. Since I know that some of you here are good with computers I will tell a bit of my story. I immediately searched on Google under "Remove Smart-Browser." Google brought me to an anti-spyware site. I tried downloading the anti spyware and was able to run a scan. Sure enough, Smart-Browser showed up as a high risk object in the registry. But then it said I have to pay for the software to delete the threats that were found.

I rummaged around a bit and decided to use Windows Defender (I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate.) Windows Defender did a full system scan which took an hour and a half and found about 9 items. But they weren't Smart-Browser. I guess the scan didn't recognize the "Smart-Browser."

So I decided to sort of play with fire and manually remove the virus. I followed the instructions from a website and went into my registry and located files that were either exactly or quite close to the files that were listed on the website to delete. Deleting a key in the registry apparently can cause system instability. Performing the actions with Windows Defender didn't solve the problem. But after I performed the actions in the Windows Vista registry, my 32-bit (the one affected) browser has begun to work again.

So far I am not experiencing any system instability but have I potentially undermined some aspects of my whole computer? I don't mean the hardware but everything that is installed on it. I'm pretty worried and I need someone to share some experience about this. If marco were still around I'm sure he would know.

CrUeL_KNIGHTS
11-28-2007, 01:49 AM
You shouldn't download hijacking softwares there are often viruses and trojans in them. If you have searched for antivirus software make sure it's reliable by reading reviews of it. I experienced before where pop-ups of antivirus softwares automatically came up without me requesting for them such as e.g Windows fixer 2007. These are malicious you shouldn't download them coz they can render your system. When they want you to scan your pc they insert viruses and trojans, worms, etc and then you get stuck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif. I have received from the internet pop ups with immediate scanning I immedietly crossed it as its harmful they basically insert viruses through that so called antivirus scan which is a lie.

And that's there whole intention so that you are then victimized http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif and forced to buy a full copy of their antivirus software to then remove the virus, worm etc that way they earn money by doing this. Its a big crime from there side http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif but that's internet and that's why so many criminals get away with it, but the only way out is to avoid them and DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!

diskamyl
11-28-2007, 06:10 AM
google and download "spybot," "adaware" and "avast" and scan your computer with all of them, and I'm 99% sure your problem will be fixed. they are totally free and are very good at what they do.

Undefdisfigure
11-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I haven't removed everything I should from my registry because Adobe Flash player constantly wants access to my computer when I run internet explorer 32-bit. But at least I got internet explorer 32-bit to work. 64-bit runs flawlessly.

The best solution is probably not to go to derogatory sites since I've had a virus infection by one of these before when it asked to install an ActiveX control. Derogatory sites are disturbing, but tempting.

SSBN617
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Also a program called "Hijackthis" It tells you everything that is running including hidden viruses etc. If you submit the log file on their forums they'll tell you what is causing the problem and how to handle it.
Good Luck

Undefdisfigure
11-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Is there a way to reinstall registry keys or fill a gap in the registry? The system instability I seem to be getting is that my computer is slower and has a couple perks here and there.

SSBN617
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
If it's running sluggish chances are that you have something else running in the background. I would suggest using one of the programs like above to find out exactly what is running and stop it.