PDA

View Full Version : AC2 HUD (and playing without it)

Losk_
10-10-2009, 10:37 AM
First, I know there are some specific threads that focus on the weapon wheel and other threads that have gone off topic and discus some HUD elements. I think this deserves its own thread.
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/899/picture4m.png
Here is a picture for reference.
The major changes here from AC1 are the Notoriety meter in the top left, beside the redesigned health bar. In this shot you can see the red line that wraps around the edge of the meter. This seems to go up as you do high profiles kills and perhaps other actions as well. Another change from AC1 is in the bottom left, you see your money listed in Florins. Also there is a mission objective on screen, in this case it's tracking the number of archers remaining to kill. You can also see some of the new contextual button options for looting and stealing.

Playing with the HUD turned off.
I love playing AC1 without the HUD, it works very well, you always get some directions to start your investigations which makes searching the city easier (of course having played the game many times helps too :b). We've known since the E3 interviews that we will be able to turn off the AC2 HUD as well, and that there will be birds to help direct us to our current mission objectives, so we will not need the minimap/GPS thing to navigate through the city.

I have some unanswered questions though. Maybe some people have run across answers in interviews that I haven't read, or perhaps Atmon can tell us, since he has played the game already!

1. We know that health doesn't regen fully anymore. You will automatically recover part of your health but then must get healing to regain the majority of your health bar. I could see a situation where you've been playing for hours and could lose track after losing some health here and there. If we are playing without the HUD, is there any indication of how hurt Ezio has become? Edit: Other than the critical health warning, I am thinking more along the lines of, I'm running around at 40-60% health and I don't know it. How do I find out I need to heal.

This wasn't an issue in AC1, since your bar just refills completely after a short length of time.

2. Notoriety, if we turn off this part of the HUD, will we be able to get a sense of how we are doing? I suppose we should know based on our actions, but will the crowd be muttering different things to clue us in that we are getting well known. Obviously at some point we will start seeing posters on the walls and orators on the streets, from what I understand this happens when you are very notorious. Are there other elements to tell/warn us before it goes that far?

3. I saw in one cut scene that the Y button turned into "interact", which seems to replace the screen glitch system from AC1. During the cut scenes will we be prompted for when to interact if we have the button display turned off?

An_Idea
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
it looks mostly the same as the first game except for the notoriety like you said, and i guess your chump-change has replaced the weapons seeing as you have the wheel...... i kinda liked the old health bar better, err "sync" bar

thekyle0
10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Losk_:
1. We know that health doesn't regen fully anymore. You will automatically recover part of your health but then must get healing to regain the majority of your health bar. I could see a situation where you've been playing for hours and could lose track after losing some health here and there. If we are playing without the HUD, is there any indication of how hurt Ezio has become? When Ezio reaches the critical point the world will become distorted and the rest of the HUD will become turned off. This was seen in the leaked PAX video. However, I see how this might be inconvenient since you wouldn't realize how low your health is until it's almost too late. Perhaps when you pause the game it will show your health bar away from the menu options. Ohterwise, you may just have to briefly turn it back on to check on your condition.

2. Notoriety, if we turn off this part of the HUD, will we be able to get a sense of how we are doing? I suppose we should know based on our actions, but will the crowd be muttering different things to clue us in that we are getting well known. Obviously at some point we will start seeing posters on the walls and orators on the streets, from what I understand this happens when you are very notorious. Are there other elements to tell/warn us before it goes that far? I don't predict that you will hear people gossiping about "the assassin" when Ezio's notoriety is elevated. However, I'm sure you can gauge how much notoriety you have based on the amount of wanted posters and orrators(sp?).

Losk_
10-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Losk_:
1. We know that health doesn't regen fully anymore. You will automatically recover part of your health but then must get healing to regain the majority of your health bar. I could see a situation where you've been playing for hours and could lose track after losing some health here and there. If we are playing without the HUD, is there any indication of how hurt Ezio has become? When Ezio reaches the critical point the world will become distorted and the rest of the HUD will become turned off. This was seen in the leaked PAX video. However, I see how this might be inconvenient since you wouldn't realize how low your health is until it's almost too late. Perhaps when you pause the game it will show your health bar away from the menu options. Ohterwise, you may just have to briefly turn it back on to check on your condition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, there is still the critical health, but as you say, you really don't want to find out that way. I would hope we don't have to pause or turn the HUD back on in order to check. Anything like walking with a slight limp or having some blood on his clothes when he is under 1/2 health would be enough. I hope Atmon can tell shed some light.

I updated the original post to include the critical health warning. I realized after re-reading it that I wasn't very clear and I should have covered that.

NuclearFuss
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
2. Notoriety, if we turn off this part of the HUD, will we be able to get a sense of how we are doing? I suppose we should know based on our actions, but will the crowd be muttering different things to clue us in that we are getting well known. Obviously at some point we will start seeing posters on the walls and orators on the streets, from what I understand this happens when you are very notorious. Are there other elements to tell/warn us before it goes that far?

I guess the guards will act differently (like in AC1 where they had their swords out if they were suspicous).

thekyle0
10-10-2009, 01:34 PM
^That would be a good indicator.^

I forgot to mention that if guards notice you instantly everywhere you go then it would probably be a good indicator that your notriety is really high. It seems like that's a similar case to the critical state for the health bar; but, since it should only take about 30 seconds of running to escape the guards then it must not be a big deal.

jimbo11235813
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
3. I saw in one cut scene that the Y button turned into "interact", which seems to replace the screen glitch system from AC1. During the cut scenes will we be prompted for when to interact if we have the button display turned off?
Why would you want to turn them off? Its not that distracting (the glitches were very distracting IMO), and why would ubisoft make it an option to turn off and then give us a different prompt. So, my answer is that they won't be able to turn it off (about 80% sure).

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Here are the button commands that I can remember,
Low-profile...
Head button: Eagle vision
Legs button: Fast walk/pickpocket
Armed-hand button: Attack
Empty-hand button: Gentle push (there'll still be guys carrying boxes)

High-Profile...
Head button: Eagle vision (I think, was too busy running away to pay attention to the HUD)
Legs button: Sprint/jump/fast climb/fast swim
Empty-hand button: Tackle/grab

Combat...
Head button: Taunt
Legs button: Dodge/kick-attacks
Armed-hand button: Attack/counter-attack
Empty-hand button: Human shield (probably others)

Losk_
10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jimbo_323:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Losk_:
Why would you want to turn them off? Its not that distracting (the glitches were very distracting IMO), and why would ubisoft make it an option to turn off and then give us a different prompt. So, my answer is that they won't be able to turn it off (about 80% sure). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, in AC1 you could turn off the button display in the HUD. What I am wondering is: if we turn off that part of the HUD, do we still get an on screen prompt for when to press buttons during the cutscene.

Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Low-profile...

High-Profile...
Head button: Eagle vision (I think, was too busy running away to pay attention to the HUD)

Combat...
Empty-hand button: Human shield (probably others) Cool, thanks for posting that.

So if you're not locked onto your target, can you still do a grab move like in AC1?

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Not sure, didn't try. I tried to throw a guard away after I disarmed him and I used him as a human shield instead. This only prevents frontal attacks, so make sure you don't have other guards trying to flank you.

sm312
10-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh thanks for the controls and how do you double assassinate like you lock on and if there's two you lock on to both?
And I didn't know whereto post this but if doesn't belong here I'm sorry: if we can pick up weapons then after you kill an archer technically shouldn't you be able to pick up the bow

SBRedFlag
10-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, in AC1, the archers kind of dropped their bows and you could kick them around... it'll probably be the same this time around.

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
@sm312: I didn't try a double-assassination (had about 8 minutes playtime, most of which was spent trying to figure out the controls), but I think if two guards are in close proximity and you target one you'll automatically take them both out.

jimbo11235813
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo_323:
Why would you want to turn them off? Its not that distracting (the glitches were very distracting IMO), and why would ubisoft make it an option to turn off and then give us a different prompt. So, my answer is that they won't be able to turn it off (about 80% sure). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, in AC1 you could turn off the button display in the HUD. What I am wondering is: if we turn off that part of the HUD, do we still get an on screen prompt for when to press buttons during the cutscene.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you can turn it off, they would probably use the glitches like the first game. But as I said in my last comment, I don't think you'll be able to.

DeSabellis
10-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Low-profile...

High-Profile...

Combat...
Empty-hand button: Human shield (probably others)

Is the disarm command overlapped with counter and attack? I thought I saw that in video and just wanted to know if you found that out.

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, if you're unarmed then the empty-hand button serves as the disarm command. Once you have a weapon (a blade at least) then you can grab human shields.

thekyle0
10-10-2009, 06:06 PM
So you can't grab people unless you have a weapon? That seems counter-logical.

Or is it only when you're holding "high profile" while in combat?

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't remember how I did it exactly. Like I said; I hate the PS3 control.

thekyle0
10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that would definantely bum me out if I got to play a game I've been anticipating for months, but had to do it on a controller I'm uncomfortable with.

guipit
10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I saw in one video that Ezio was bumping into people and stealing money and a bunch of +1 and +2's that indicated how much money you stole from that one person. This is pretty unnatural for me because in pickpocketting you wouldn't immedietly know what you got until you go into a dark corner and look at it. I hope you can turn that off

Impulsez
10-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Wait a Minute, with your controls, they've replaced blend with fast walk AWESOME. You can go faster now than go slower, but his increases the risk of you been caught. Will be fun to see how that works, i guess if ur going for a low profile kill u can walk faster and still not get caught as easy, so u can kill say and archer before he turns around, also i doubt we can ue biws http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif, that would be awesome tho.

thekyle0
10-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by guipit:
I saw in one video that Ezio was bumping into people and stealing money and a bunch of +1 and +2's that indicated how much money you stole from that one person. This is pretty unnatural for me because in pickpocketting you wouldn't immedietly know what you got until you go into a dark corner and look at it. I hope you can turn that off It's not like he's grabbing entire purses and wallets that way. He's only grabbing a couple coins. You can tell that 2 or 3 coins are in your hand just by feeling them.

NuclearFuss
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Will the mini-map show buildings?

Losk_
10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah it shows buildings.

z0nnebril
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I like the HUD in AC2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

kakashi560
10-29-2009, 12:51 AM
looks like there is more design to the HUD this time around...i like it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif