PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, can I ask for some help?

Sturmvogel66
10-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Hey, so I just recieved and put together the parts to my new machine, and everything has run okay and installed okay. Except, the first thing I installed was 3Dmark03, just to bench it to see how this bad boy flew, and well, it flew alright, I got amazing frame rates. However, one thing really was wrong, I was getting a lot of artifacts and pixelation and weird jaggedy lines while it was rendering the 3Dmark03 program. Now, I have no clue what the deal is, because as far as I know, the card is doing its job and providiing kick *** graphics, but I am getting all these multi colored dots and lines that look Oh-so-horrible. If any of you guys have experienced something like this before, i would appreciate the help.

The system is:

Athlon 64 3400+
Asus K8V-X mobo
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC
1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200
Seagate 7200 RPM 120 Gig HDD
Antec 550 watt PS

Any ideas? Thanks

tenmmike
10-11-2004, 01:22 AM
are you sure your using OGL and not Direct x?on your vid card? sounds like what i did when i played with direct x a 1.5year ago

WTE_Galway
10-11-2004, 01:39 AM
i used to get that when I overclocked my radeon a step or two too far .. especially memory frequency

Sturmvogel66
10-11-2004, 01:54 AM
Well, the card comes facotry overclocked, up from 350 to 370 and it should be able to easily go over 420 Mhz. I am not sure about the whole DX thing vs OGL. I dunno, could it be a connection issue?

JG54_Arnie
10-11-2004, 03:37 AM
I never use 3dMark, so I dont know about that. And I think Tenmmike means Direct3D and not Directx.

Do you get those funny colors only in 3DMark, or in games as well? If only in 3DMark, why care? If in game as well, try a different driver version.

Jasko76
10-11-2004, 03:49 AM
I also think that you may have overklocked your card a bit too much. Anyway, you shouldn't overklock your card or CPU right away, wait a few weeks, run some extensive 3d graphics during that period.

Sturmvogel66
10-11-2004, 12:10 PM
The BFG card already comes overclocked. And that should not be an issue, I swapped cards with a friend and it worked fine in his computer... could it be a mobo issue?

sunflower1
10-11-2004, 12:42 PM
I know very little about computers, but my rig has caused me to learn a few things pretty fast, so here's some things to look at that have given me the same sort of trouble.

Check your AGP voltage. Somehow mine had moved higher than stock, to 1.75 volts, and I had no idea how to change if I'd wanted to, so a little ghosty thing going on there.... that would account for it running in your buddies box and not in yours.

Your power supply is inadequate for your rig, only 24 amps on the 12 volt rail. I don't run a new generation card, but everyone who does says you have to have 30 amps to get things to work right. Believe them.

Visit PC Power and Cooling's site and see the "big name" 550 compared to theirs and understand that on top of that you're short at least 6 amps on the 12 volt rail.

If your outlets are dirty, etc.....

A post written here a couple months ago detailed the variances in quality under the various international electronic standards. Its entirely possible that your PSU only puts out 495 watts peak and its still within factory spec. That's peak, not continuous. Pretty soon you can see that a 550 may only provide about 350 watts peak power and certainly supplies nowhere near 550. Using the various calculators I've seen it looks like your computer needs somewhere around 350 watts peak.

See how those numbers start to converge? I've read recommendations that its good to run your PSU at no more than 70% of capacity to get good use out of it. That means you need about 455 watts peak power at case temperatures and under the load of running the game.

FWIW

icrash
10-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I had one game that didn't like the driver for my vid card. The picture would splinter when you moved too fast. Hard as heck to hit a moving target so I ended up playing musical drivers.

Supr
10-11-2004, 02:31 PM
How's your case cooling? How hot is the room its in? That pixal popping could be a heat issue if you didn't oc the card.

It could also just be a driver issue. Which driver are you using? Did your try any others?

You should post your DX diag dump. Others, smarter then me, may be able to cypher thru it and see a problem.

Good luck

MK2aw
10-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Guys ...sorry in advance but I am too lazy to read the whole thread....make sure you have the latest drivers...

Mk2aw

wayno7777
10-11-2004, 08:32 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif sounds most likely to be a driver issue.

tsisqua
10-12-2004, 06:29 AM
BFG . . . That's Asylum, right? You should have a lifetime warranty on a card that was built by a company with the greatest support team I have had the pleasure to deal with. If you have to contact them about the card they will treat you well, mate, so don't void the warranty with additional overclocking . . . besides, you really shouldn't need to, with a GPU like that. (I know that I am talking to the air, here. Overclocking is an addiction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Give BFG a call. I had a problem with my most excellent bakup card, a Ti4200, and they repaired it, and had it back to me in about a week. Treated me like gold, and will for as long as I have the card and do not void the warranty.

Good Luck
Tsisqua

AMD64 3200+
Seagate 150 gig HD
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128/256 Bit
Gigabyte K8VT800 (VIA chipset)
1024 RAM

note: Nothing against ATI, but my next card will probably be an Nvidia card as well, and I will probably get it from BFG. I'll run the 9800 Pro till the prices come down a bit though; I'd love to have the 6800 Ultra . . . just as soon as my rich uncle gets out of the poorhouse.

jurinko
10-12-2004, 06:42 AM
my brotha got NV 5200 or something and in IL2 he had exactly such problem.. we solved it by increasing the voltage to AGP slot from auto to, hmm, 1,somethin.. try it but slowly.