PDA

View Full Version : Twin Enging take-offs run in circles...need help!

drsmith
06-24-2005, 07:28 PM
After downloading 4.01m, I can handle takeoffs and landings (except for carriers) fairly well in all single engine aircraft. When I attempt to takeoff in a twin engine aircraft, such as the Me110 or the He111, upon giving throttle, the aircraft immediately turns left, leaving the runway, and continues turning left in circles. Full rudder to the right does nothing to stop this. What do I need to do to go straight down the runway on takeoffs in twin engine aircraft?

georgeo76
06-24-2005, 07:32 PM
you try starting both engines?

JamesBlonde888
06-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by georgeo76:
you try starting both engines?

****, that's what I was going to say. You beat me to the punch george!

NonWonderDog
06-24-2005, 07:54 PM
If you *are* running on both engines, the twins (except the P-38) still put out a lot of torque. Twice what a single puts out, in fact. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (I know it's not that simple, let me be.)

Lock the tailwheel to keep it going straight while the tail's on the ground. That's what the control's for, but you have to bind a key to it manually.

VW-IceFire
06-24-2005, 07:59 PM
1) Make sure you have both engines on and selected for throttle control (i.e. linking both engines to one throttle movement)
2) Lock tailwheel
3) Throttle up slowly...20% count to 3, 40% count to 3, maximum takeoff.

Rudder gains effectiveness as speed increases...at 40kph there isn't much it can do. At 100kph its far more effective and can keep you on the runway.

KG26_Alpha
06-25-2005, 05:05 AM
Hi

All the above are good advice to heed.

Once the above is mastered, try taking off with engine revs out of sync, you need to practice it as the torque effect is different through the rpm range till rotation, you can control the He111 very nicely using this method.

drsmith
06-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Try reading my post again, Georgeo76. I am not condemning anything, sir. And yes, both engines were started and running prior to beginning the take-off run. Thanks, VW-IceFire, for suggesting "linking both engines to one throttle movement". I'm not quite sure how I might accomplish this...I assume somewhere in the control set-up. There are a lot of selections to be made concerning the engines on that list.

Dunkelgrun
06-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by drsmith:
Try reading my post again, Georgeo76. I am not condemning anything, sir.

Um, you misunderstood him there. That line about condemning the program is his 'sig', and has nothing to do with the content of his reply. Looking at the picture that accompanies it my guess is that the line is from Dr. Strangelove.

Purity Of Essence.
Cheers!

Woof603
06-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks, VW-IceFire, for suggesting "linking both engines to one throttle movement". I'm not quite sure how I might accomplish this...I assume somewhere in the control set-up. There are a lot of selections to be made concerning the engines on that list.

In controls, tie a key to "select all engines" then after both are started select all engines prior to taxying. Hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

JG27_Stacko
06-25-2005, 10:01 AM
You dont have to lock the tail wheel. Just apply power very slowly. Subtle use of power on taxi AND Take-off will help your problem. Because you will be applying the power incrementally, (that is vey slowly) you'll need more runway to take-off. Aim to start your take off run from the very end of a runway. Every metre behind you when you finish lining up is a waste.

Archangel2980
06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm all over the place in the B-25 at takeoff.

Taylortony
06-25-2005, 10:41 AM
use rudder to control the swing.............. now you know why the likes of the B25 had twin tailplanes, it allowed the wash over them from both engines make the rudder become more effective at lower speeds... I also use throttle as i have my x45 set up to use both engines either individually of together

Ketalar
06-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Woof603:
In controls, tie a key to "select all engines" then after both are started select all engines prior to taxying. Hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
What he said. Bind keys to "Select Engine 1" through "Select Engine 4" and "Select All Engines". Start up each engine at a time (make sure you reduce throttle to 0% after start-up, otherwise you'll start turning!), then select all and off you go! Port side engines can be selected to ease turning starboard and vice versa.

I use Ctrl+1 to select engine 1 up to Ctrl+4 for engine 4, and Ctrl-I to select all engines (since I starts them). Good luck! We need more twins and quads in the air. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (I just wish we had use for the extra binds up to engine 8...)

drsmith
06-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks, a bunch, Woof603 and Ketalar....I was starting both engines and everything seemed fine...but I had not mapped a key to "select all engines". As you both recommended, after starting engines 1 and 2, I did ctrl-I (select all engings), locked the tail wheel, and ZOOM...right down the center of the runway! I swooped around and landed beautifully...only to repeat this accomplishment again and again. Thanks for your input!

Ketalar
06-26-2005, 05:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Glad we could help.