PDA

View Full Version : LOCKUPS FIXED!!!!!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Well, I wanted to post this for all those who have followed my trials and tribulations over the last month or so concerning wonton machine freezes/lockups in both AEP and PF.

Please bear with me and I'll try to explain everything that was happening to me and ultimately how I fixed it.

First, I had recently built a nice rig to get me through the next year or so and hopefully well into the release of BoB. From the start I was having some minor issues in AEP with screen freezes, lockups requiring hard reboot.

I tried over 5 sets of drivers (both WHQL and beta) thinking it was the new architecture and infant drivers associated with it (6800 ultra). I turned off fastwrites, bought a new power supply, synchronized my 2D and 3D clocks, tried to underclock it, monitored temps for any heat-related issues, turned off AA and AF, called the VC manufacturer all to no avail.

I had originally installed PF as a stand-alone proggy so I wouldn't bork my AEP install, but was having some troubles in AEP as well. So here's what I did:

I know this isn't ground breaking, but sometimes it's the simple things that we overlook.

I ended up uninstalling PF, uninstalled AEP, defragged all three drives in my machine and reformatted my gaming drive. I then installed FB and rebooted. Installed AEP and rebooted. Installed PF and rebooted. Just for grins I decided to defrag after all that since it was the only thing on that drive (and I intended to install my newly acquired copies of HL2 and MOHPA this weekend).

I then decided to run a few tracks and see if it would lock up on me as before I couldn't get through 10 minutes without crashing. The IQ looked good and I was able to run a few tracks with no issues. Tired but a bit more optimistic I went to bed.

Last night I decided to try to go online and see how it was really going to run. The first time I entered a room and navigated through the arming screen etc and hit "fly" I had bad artifacts and it crashed...sigh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I went to my display properties and lowered the IQ from "quality" to "performance" and left my AA and AF on (4x and 8x respectively). I then restarted the game and flew without incident for over three hours. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Hopefully, this will continue.

Sorry for the ramble, but the frustration generated from these problems after running IL2 and later FB trouble-free for over 2 years then having these problems was becoming comsuming and potentially having it finally rectified is equivalent to a revelation.

My system specs:

Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo
P4 3.4c (at stock speed)
1 gig Corsair TwinX pc4400
MSI nx6800 Ultra
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Dual Maxtor 120gig sata HD's (non RAID)

TB

VW-IceFire
11-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Sounds alot like you were overstressing the hardware....either the Video card, the CPU, or both.

Artifacts usually mean video card and heat issues. I had some odd artifacts in FB a few months back when it got hot outside...I guess it put my R9700Pro over the top just a bit and it started corrupting stuff. FB is particularly hard on these cards it seems...

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Well, my VC was running at 56-58 degrees at idle and was only getting 68-70 degrees under heavy load. These are good numbers for 6800 Ultra cards from what I hear. Especially considering the MSI card comes from the factory with clock speeds slightly higher than most. (i.e. standard 400/1000, MSI 425/1100)

Also, I have an aluminum case with 4 case fans and it's not in a cabinet. While I live in Florida, the weather this month has been nice and cool with the highs in the 70's instead of the normal mid 80's.

Not to say there aren't heat issues, but I looked at that after talking to Hunter and while at time they are in the "high normal" range, they still weren't critical.

TB

FI-finbar1
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed for you,btw were you getting lockups only "in game"?

panteramutt
11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Try running a small RAM testing program called 'memtest' (try a google search for the free download).

I had the same problem for months, tried everything, and then ran memtest and found my now-not-so-new 512Mb RAM was bad. Did not notice it in any other programs because they are not as RAM intensive as FB. I have a total of 768Mb RAM.

Good luck!

PS: you'll need a 3.5" floppy drive, as it boots from DOS

VW-IceFire
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Well, my VC was running at 56-58 degrees at idle and was only getting 68-70 degrees under heavy load. These are good numbers for 6800 Ultra cards from what I hear. Especially considering the MSI card comes from the factory with clock speeds slightly higher than most. (i.e. standard 400/1000, MSI 425/1100)

Also, I have an aluminum case with 4 case fans and it's not in a cabinet. While I live in Florida, the weather this month has been nice and cool with the highs in the 70's instead of the normal mid 80's.

Not to say there aren't heat issues, but I looked at that after talking to Hunter and while at time they are in the "high normal" range, they still weren't critical.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Still...not every piece of hardware is made equal. Lots of stuff that works 99% but not 100% of what it should be doing. I've had some experience with this...computers can be darned tricky sometimes.

Those temperatures are certainly high in my book. If they are high normal...maybe thats a bit too much for the particular card that you own (not the GeForce in general, just your card). A totally theoretical hypothesis. Glad you got it to work however http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif