PDA

View Full Version : how difficult would it be...

The-Pizza-Man
05-04-2006, 04:52 AM
to implement much smaller damage boxes. Say something along the lines of knowing if a bullet went through the left/right chest, or the abdominum, thigh, knee, calf etc. And also it's lethality depends on at what aspect it hits from, ie a bullet that hits the side of the chest rather than the front might kill the player because there was no body armour there. If this could be done the one shot kill would still occur, but on the same hand it would be more realistic than the one shot kills from RS and to a lesser extent RvS.

SAS_Shield
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
i would imagine that would be a major undertaking as you would have to map out the entire body and then grid the major sections like what you say a direct hit or a glancing shot. then you would have to have a calculator figure all that into with what kind of round hit that spot and at what speed then take action along with this happening several times possibly at once.

KungFu_CIA
05-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by SAS_Shield:
i would imagine that would be a major undertaking as you would have to map out the entire body and then grid the major sections like what you say a direct hit or a glancing shot. then you would have to have a calculator figure all that into with what kind of round hit that spot and at what speed then take action along with this happening several times possibly at once.

It not as hard as you think considering SWAT 4 and BF2 have locational damage (The realism mods for BF2 utilize the "hidden" code for this and it works really well).

The way BF2 does it is has global damage values mapped to specific "cells" (head; torso; arm; leg) on the player model and then a corresponding damage value linked to the kind of weapon (handheld; stationary).

So for instance, for head shots, the damage is type 39 -- handheld weapons like rifles and pistols -- And it has a multiplier of 3 which means 90 hit points of damage (from 100 health) are taken for type 39 weapons.

It is a very efficient and easy system as it allows modders like myself to easily tweak global damage values to be whatever is needed and takes very little resources when in-game which is paramount in an MP game with 64 players and other vehicles and physics going on.

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
pretty easy to do actually but probably too complex to understand for most people.

Rainbow already has location based damage but we have always treated body parts as large surfaces with their own variables.

I will explain better once we announce our system for Vegas.

Pest_AWC
05-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Goliath,

Thank you for any information you can provide. I understand that information has to be carefully scrutinized before anyone from UBI can comment on it because the hardcore fans, such as myself, will get all bent out of shape if something is promised that is not delivered. I just wish someone from UBI could tell us if the days of games with the look, feel, and complexity of Ravenshield are gone due to the current economics of making more money on simpler console games. I think we really can handle the truth, and that way we won't be disapointed because our expectations will be reset.

Thanks for whatever you can throw our way...no matter how cryptic you have to be... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Relenquish
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Well if its really not going to before us you can tell us now and we go scitzo while there are only relatively few people on the forums, or wait for us to find out closer to release date and have us all go ultra scitzo and hate you for a couple of years.

Back on topic, I dont think it really matter to much what the damage model is like as long as you can get 1 shot 1 kills. If its good thats bonus, but we all seemed to addapt to RVS s gimping system and I rarely heard complaints.

Hopefully it will properly reflect the effects of body armour and bullet type. That would be cool.

I think if your wearing the right body armour and its effective against the bullet type, the shot should maybe not hurt your life to much, but should take the wind out of you for a few seconds, mess up your aiming, something like that. I dont know if thats realistic becasue I have never been shot. But I imagine thats what it would do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Le Tigre
05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
GR1 on the PC had this kind of damage model, it then effected your preformance as well. Great feature.

Pest_AWC
05-05-2006, 11:32 AM
The most realistic within reason would probably be to have:

A hit in a left or right leg slows movement and displays dragging that leg.

A hit in an arm affects accuracy

A hit in the torso affects both accuracy and movement speed but to 50% of what hitting the arm or leg alone would do.

A hit to the head kills you 80% of the time or causes damage similar to a torso hit.

1 shot 1 kill should definately be possible with a torso or head hit, depending on body armor and weapon used.

GSG_9_Rage
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Le Tigre:
GR1 on the PC had this kind of damage model, it then effected your preformance as well. Great feature.

yeah, look how that game came out, game of the year! don't assume that people are dumb. When you look at a little icon of a human body, and see a red body part, i think they can assume that it is injured, or shot. when i was 11, i got GR1 and i got the damage system. i undertood the little picture.

The-Pizza-Man
05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
I was suggesting something with a bit more resolution than GR. Something where it would discriminate being hit in the side of the head and the back of head. As there are obvious differences in protection between those two aspects of the same part (helmet protects the back, doesn't protect the front).