PDA

View Full Version : Hull Integrity

Iver1943
11-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Is it realistic to have the Hull Indegrity Report on in SH Commander http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif?

The Avon Lady
11-14-2005, 08:54 AM
No. Remove it and tremble with fear after taking hits and not being sure how badly damaged your external hull is.

Well, let's put it this way. It's more realistic to turn it off than to have it displayed.

The_Silent_O
11-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by The Avon Lady:
No. Remove it and tremble with fear after taking hits and not being sure how badly damaged your external hull is.

Well, let's put it this way. It's more realistic to turn it off than to have it displayed.

...Can you turn it off in the regular game? or is that a mod

Chrystine
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Hi Otto,

It€s one of the options in SH3 Commander v2.3

SH3 Options -> Text Settings -> Hull Integrity % Text: Show/Hide

In reality, a U-boat Kapitan and crew would have ability to closely inspect virtually every inch of their boat and with good engineers etc aboard, would be able to make fair assessments as to the amount of damage done to a hull (however approximated it may be varying circumstance to circumstance, etc).
As we do not have this ability in SH III, I regard having the H.I value €˜shown€ as a % as a reasonable & acceptable compromise.
That it is more exact than would have been possible in reality is simply an aspect of the SH III engine and the way that feature was designed and works.

All IMHO, of course €¦

Best,
~ C.

The_Silent_O
11-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Chrystine:

Hi Otto,

It€s one of the options in SH3 Commander v2.3

SH3 Options -> Text Settings -> Hull Integrity % Text: Show/Hide

In reality, a U-boat Kapitan and crew would have ability to closely inspect virtually every inch of their boat and with good engineers etc aboard, would be able to make fair assessments as to the amount of damage done to a hull (however approximated it may be varying circumstance to circumstance, etc).
As we do not have this ability in SH III, I regard having the H.I value €˜shown€ as a % as a reasonable & acceptable compromise.
That it is more exact than would have been possible in reality is simply an aspect of the SH III engine and the way that feature was designed and works.

All IMHO, of course €¦

Best,
~ C.

I've read about many a patrol where the U-boat Captain requests permission for an Abort from Bdu. The reason given was 'Leaky Boat' and it was usually requested after a damaging WasserBombe attack.

I'd say it was a matter of lost nerves! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Iver1943
11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I have it off at this time. During my last patrol, long before I got to my patrol area. I was about 2 days out on a 28 day run to patrol area, when a PBY hit close with a bomb. It killed the WO and my AA guns needed to be repaired as well as much of the rest of my boat.

I did down the PBY and relized after repairs that I had lost most of my fuel so I went back to base. It was fule loss not Hull Integrity that made going back nessery IMO. I had lost more then 50% of my fuel. One big oil slick for sure... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lecek
11-14-2005, 03:16 PM
The crew can inspect the hull and get an idea of damage.

The % may seem very acurate. Overly so. But in fact it is not.

Since knowing your Hull is at 60% as opposed to 40% doesn't always mean that you can't go as deep. In fact it is possible (depending on the randomization the game uses here.) to not be able to go as deep with a 60% hull compared to a 40%.

That is the point. Even with hyper acurate knowledge of how bad the hull is you can not make hyper acurate deductions to your new max depth.

Whether it is fuzzy max depth because you don't have 100% confidence in your damage assessment, or whether if is fuzzy max depth because it doesn't matter if you have 100% confidence in your damage assessment doesn't matter. The result is the same regardless.

I don't bother modding this out. Real crews did have some idea of the effects of damage, modded out, you have less then they did.

Kaleun1961
11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Iver1943:
I have it off at this time. During my last patrol, long before I got to my patrol area. I was about 2 days out on a 28 day run to patrol area, when a PBY hit close with a bomb. It killed the WO and my AA guns needed to be repaired as well as much of the rest of my boat.

I did down the PBY and relized after repairs that I had lost most of my fuel so I went back to base. It was fule loss not Hull Integrity that made going back nessery IMO. I had lost more then 50% of my fuel. One big oil slick for sure... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Good point. Another factor that necessitated a return to base was a constant fuel leak that could not be repaired at sea. The amount of fuel leaking need not be great enough to effect range. Even a minor fuel leak would leave a trail of diesel oil on the surface of the sea which could lead a plane or ship to the U-boat.

Some U-boats were damaged by depth charges and sprung fuel leaks. These would not be detected unti surfaced. A submerged U-boat leaking fuel was doomed if a destoyer were hunting it. Some U-boats were hunted to the death this way. It is just like a wounded deer leaving a blood trail for the hunter to follow.

Dragos_Mateescu
11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
One big oil slick for sure...

SH3`s Exxon Valdez.

lithic1
11-15-2005, 12:14 AM
I tend to think also that the CE would be able to determine the extent of "hull damage". Many boats aborted due the inabillity to dive after damage.. and hull damage I would suppose would inculde damage to balast tanks and diving equip etc that inst modeled in SHIII.

So I think I will turn it on from now on.

The_Silent_O
11-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by lithic1:
I tend to think also that the CE would be able to determine the extent of "hull damage". Many boats aborted due the inabillity to dive after damage.. and hull damage I would suppose would inculde damage to balast tanks and diving equip etc that inst modeled in SHIII.

So I think I will turn it on from now on.

I think the crew and engineer could accurately determine how 'leaky' the boat was by how much their bilge pumps had to work to get the water out.

Iver1943
11-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Thank for all the input I put it back in. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HoldSteady641
11-16-2005, 07:38 AM
..when a PBY hit close with a bomb. It killed the WO..

One way to prevent this might be to take him in before you dive.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif