PDA

View Full Version : Do inline engines loose coolant? Well, why not?

tigertalon
02-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi all

Well, one of big weaknesses of inline engine was it's vulnerability to even light machinegun fire. But not because it wold be less tough, more fragile or whatever compared to radials. Simply because it was liquid cooled (unlike radials which were air-cooled) and if you made a tiny tiny hole in cooling system, coolant was gone with a time, and your engine fried...

So, why in this game inlines are not loosing coolant? Glycol, water etc is a strong white smoke (well it's temperature is high obviously, so there should be clouds of white vapor pouring out of engine...).

Many many inline engined planes were doomed because of hits in their cooling systems... And, obviously, this smoke should come out of ONLY inline engines... All smokes now we have, come from every plane.

If this is implemented, it would greatly increase effectiveness of 4,6 or 8 mg .303 and .50 call equipped fighters, as the fire density greatly increases fatal cooling system hit (and consequently coolant loss) probability (which only one is needed....

tigertalon
02-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi all

Well, one of big weaknesses of inline engine was it's vulnerability to even light machinegun fire. But not because it wold be less tough, more fragile or whatever compared to radials. Simply because it was liquid cooled (unlike radials which were air-cooled) and if you made a tiny tiny hole in cooling system, coolant was gone with a time, and your engine fried...

So, why in this game inlines are not loosing coolant? Glycol, water etc is a strong white smoke (well it's temperature is high obviously, so there should be clouds of white vapor pouring out of engine...).

Many many inline engined planes were doomed because of hits in their cooling systems... And, obviously, this smoke should come out of ONLY inline engines... All smokes now we have, come from every plane.

If this is implemented, it would greatly increase effectiveness of 4,6 or 8 mg .303 and .50 call equipped fighters, as the fire density greatly increases fatal cooling system hit (and consequently coolant loss) probability (which only one is needed....

3.JG51_BigBear
02-09-2005, 06:07 AM
I think it is modelled but there just isn't any visual representation of it. I think the kind of clouds associated with coolent leaks might start to cause frame rate issues. We could also use smoke coming from the exhaust stacks on some planes when they run up to full throttle rapidly and wen they run with the throttle wide open.

p1ngu666
02-09-2005, 07:05 AM
no liquid coolant, but oil is modeled http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tigertalon
02-09-2005, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
no liquid coolant, but oil is modeled http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but then having radial looses the point, because they both have oil..

Many pilots preffered radials and were willing to trade a bit of speed for it, just not to have the vulnerable liquid cooling system... Perfect example are the tempests (MkV and MkII).

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-09-2005, 08:19 AM
In my experiences the inline engines ARE more fragile than their radial counterparts. While overheating and engine failures related to loss of glycol are not delineated by name, I have a feeling the vulnerability is modeled to a degree.

TB

Chuck_Older
02-09-2005, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I think it is modelled but there just isn't any visual representation of it. I think the kind of clouds associated with coolent leaks might start to cause frame rate issues. We could also use smoke coming from the exhaust stacks on some planes when they run up to full throttle rapidly and wen they run with the throttle wide open. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree- plenty of things aren't visualy modelled, but the fact that engine damage associated with that damage occurs is the next best thing

There are plenty of systems that the FB DM ignores, but 'coolant' is the one most keyed on as a missed thing. I think it's because most everyone knows what the symptoms and visuals are with an overheated car, but not many folks know what a reduction gear failure should do to a plane

p1ngu666
02-09-2005, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tigertalon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
no liquid coolant, but oil is modeled http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but then having radial looses the point, because they both have oil..

Many pilots preffered radials and were willing to trade a bit of speed for it, just not to have the vulnerable liquid cooling system... Perfect example are the tempests (MkV and MkII). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tempest V engine wasnt that good a engine in some ways. short life, poured in carbon monoxide into cockpit, dodgy starter. but it did produce great big gobs of power http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

the radial, was a better engine in that it just worked, and was quieter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

tigertalon
02-09-2005, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
In my experiences the inline engines _ARE_ more fragile than their radial counterparts. While overheating and engine failures related to loss of glycol are not delineated by name, I have a feeling the vulnerability _is_ modeled to a degree.

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree, in sim inlines are (by far) more vulnerable than radials (like I said in 2nd sentence of my 1st post), but they shouldn't be in the way they are. Hitting colling system didn't do almost any damage at the moment of impact. However, consequences 5 minutes later were catastrophical. So for example if you are on the intercept mission and a bomber defence gets your cooling system penetrated with a single shot (well, only that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif then, for a few minutes you are still fully combat capable.

tigertalon
02-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Bump - is this a major flaw of the sim only for me?

Aaron_GT
02-10-2005, 05:46 AM
It's not really been established that it is not modelled, tigertalon. I've certainly lost engine power sometimes in a plane powered by an inline engine without any visual representation, but it might be poor handling of the engine on my part rather than battle damage. It might be possible to see if there is an effect by seeing if engine temps suddenly rise, but some gauges don't work properly so you'd need to find a plane in which the engine temp gauge works correctly.

JG53Frankyboy
02-10-2005, 05:57 AM
this game is now over 3 years old.
the start of pragramming the engine war even longer away.

dodnt expect to much from it.
popably lets see how the BoB engine will manage it - and dont forgett, it has to be calculated from the PC.......................

OldMan____
02-10-2005, 06:00 AM
Think oleg told once that most engines this fragility is modelled in simplified way. Just the IL2 itsef has a complex cooling system failture modeled (important since there is no way of shoting it down with MG without this)

Bearcat99
02-10-2005, 06:53 AM
I dont think it is visually modelled but it is modelled.. just watch ypour temp gauge the next time you atake a hit to the engine in a P-51.

msalama
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
...but sure would be nice if it was visually modelled as well...

tigertalon
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msalama:
...but sure would be nice if it was visually modelled as well... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, something like a high alt contrail or fuel-leak contrail wouldn't be too hard to implement IMO, neither woult take eup much FPS...

rummyrum
02-11-2005, 12:53 PM
It is modeled just not visually and the effect of a round to your engine turns on a timer that when up leads to the demise of your engine....just ask any 109 flier.