PDA

View Full Version : Help With sound Cards

IZT
11-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Ok i have 2 choices of sound cards and i need an expert opinion on which i should get...and yes i am an avid gamer but do not require professional stuff for video editing....Here are my 2 choices:

Creative Audigy 2 Value
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (7.1)PCI

The price difference is not much only about 20 US bucks. Whicch card should i pick and why? Also if i am upgrading from onboard sound, will i notice any sound improvement? I am using the standard speakers and subwoofer, not planning to upgrade to 5.1 speakers due to cash constraints im only a student, my sound card is onboard AC'97 5.1 sound.

IZT
11-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Ok i have 2 choices of sound cards and i need an expert opinion on which i should get...and yes i am an avid gamer but do not require professional stuff for video editing....Here are my 2 choices:

Creative Audigy 2 Value
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (7.1)PCI

The price difference is not much only about 20 US bucks. Whicch card should i pick and why? Also if i am upgrading from onboard sound, will i notice any sound improvement? I am using the standard speakers and subwoofer, not planning to upgrade to 5.1 speakers due to cash constraints im only a student, my sound card is onboard AC'97 5.1 sound.

Nige_Reconman
11-12-2004, 12:29 AM
The Audigy 2 value is fine for gaming. As long as it's a PCI card and not a USB external card as that gives you a performance hit.

Just remember that when you install your new soundcard to disable you onboard sound in the bios.

The qualiy difference is huge, you'll never go back to onboard soubd, it's a whole different audio world.

FatBoyHK
11-12-2004, 03:42 AM
what if I use a pair of earphones almost exclusively? any notable difference?

Nige_Reconman
11-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Depends on the quality of earphones tinny earphones will still give a tinny sound etcetera

But a plug in soundcard beats onboard sound by a long shot all the time even soundstorm solutions in terms of quality, speed and ability.

Good soundcards need good speakers/earphones though. Stereo is fine as long as it's decent speakers, same with earphones.