PDA

View Full Version : CPU,GPU,PPU, AIPU ???

orkan_3d
09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
We have all heard about CPU,GPU, recently even PPU, but does the AIPU rings the bell?

AIseek is a company developing AI acceleration technology, dedicated procesor for AI behavior calculation.
Here is the link, there are demos too:
http://www.aiseek.com/AI_acceleration.html

MadRuski
09-02-2006, 08:37 PM
u lost me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

heywooood
09-02-2006, 08:49 PM
a card or chipset for AI calculations only?!!

seems eventually the power supply will need its own card.

shouldn't the towers/cases be getting smaller by now instead of bigger. Where the hell will it end.

FritzGryphon
09-02-2006, 08:50 PM
AI has a huge effect on performance, and this forces devs to make overly simplistic routines, especially if there are many AI units in the game.

I remember playing Quake 3 when it came out. Adding 10 AI opponents reduced the FPS by half, and Quake has dirt simple AI!

I'd be more interested in getting an AI chip rather than a phyisics chip, if it means AI that behaves more realistically.

Jaws2002
09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I remember well the drop in performance when the AI in PF got the same FM with player controled aircraft.
It makes sense in a way, but how much more can we put on that mother board?

VW-IceFire
09-02-2006, 09:05 PM
I think it'll be just fine if we start dedicating a CPU core for the job. A whole other card is far too niche market...the physics thing is too.

FritzGryphon
09-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, it's my understanding that dedicated processors do stuff faster than a CPU. Video cards, good example.

Maybe they can put lots of this stuff on once card. Like a combo sound, AI, and physics card. Call it a gaming card, or something.

NonWonderDog
09-02-2006, 09:17 PM
So... the physics card frees up CPU power for AI, and the AI card frees up CPU power for.... calculating the first million digits of pi? Generating procedural textures so we don't use up too much space on our 400+ GB hard drives?

What's an AI card supposed to do? There is nothing special about AI code; there's no reason it can't run on one of the cores of a dual-core or QUAD-core processor. Almost no game out today is even CPU limited. PF runs great on my 2200+!

Their big innovation looks to be a core that is supposedly more efficient at reading matrices. Say again? We need a PCI card for THAT? Wouldn't the interface bus be MUCH slower than the processor cache, anyway?

OK, so they claim it can do real-time pathfinding and per-poly line of sight calculations. They seem to deliberately imply the absurd idea that it does this without software. They in no way explain how their card somehow makes their pathfinding and line-of-sight SDK more efficient. They just say it's 100x faster than "software" methods. Maybe there's something hidden in the whitepaper that isn't written by marketing, but I don't see it.

FritzGryphon
09-02-2006, 09:27 PM
In a world where AI can see through clouds, I think there must be some kind of limitation.

It's clearly a limiting factor for the devs. You see things like this all the time in games.

orkan_3d
09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
a card or chipset for AI calculations only?!!

seems eventually the power supply will need its own card.

shouldn't the towers/cases be getting smaller by now instead of bigger. Where the hell will it end.

In the end we vont be sitting BY the comp case, but IN the box. THE ULTIMATE SIM.
Brrrr...

orkan_3d
09-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Some think that AMD swalowed ATI becouse future procesors will incorporate GPUs. This is serious, if I`m not mistaken, PS3 or Xbox have only one integratedIBM CELL proc for everything.