PDA

View Full Version : Can't change torp load on the move!!!

Poacher886a
07-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Im in a type11D boat,and start with 3Ga torps in the tubes and two Ge torps in reserve...why can i not change the torp's around while im in game(so i can use different ones depending on the weather)

Basically you can not unload and load a different one in the tube until one has been fired!

S VIIC_41
07-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Maybe because... that would be extremely awkward?

I doubt any u-boat crews ever did that, just seems... very awkward and impractical.

The Avon Lady
07-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Pardon me if it's not historically correct but I've never heard of switching torpedoes once they've been loaded into their tubes.

Can anyone confirm?

legodragonxp
07-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I've read about a half dozen books that were historical accounts of action in U-boats during WWII and none of them made mention of changing out a loaded torpedo.

In something as small as a typeII I'm guessing it was not possible due to space restrictions. From a safety standoint I doubt it would be done. If you think about it, it isn't very smart to be handling an extremely slick explosive device in a cramped space while at sea.

One might also question if is was even physically possible given that the torpedo might be too well sealed in the tube to pull out due to suction.

In larger boats, after a few torpedoes had been fired, it might be possible, but I doubt it was ever done. Torpedo handling is a dangerous thing.

-Lego

SFCspoonman
07-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't think the game models unloading any torps.

In Das Boot, you saw the men greasing up a torp and then putting it into the tube, one would think at that point it could be switched out... But a movie is just a movie.

WHat you can do, is in dock put one of those electrics in one tube. Then whn underway, go ti the screen with the "I" key and uncheck autoloading. Then fire the torp of your choice at a target, then replace it wieh a torp of choice.

It gives you a bit more control over your torps...

KRlSTOFF
07-04-2005, 09:37 AM
In the book "Operation Drumbeat" While at sea, Hardigan had his crew periodically pull the eels straight out of the tubes to reset the gyros every couple of weeks or so...But I don't think there was enough room to actually move them around from one tube to another. Or to pull one out, put in storage and put a different one in its place.

Kaiser_W
07-04-2005, 10:07 AM
It is possible to change out the torpedoes, but you need an empty reserve spot to place the one you're pulling out.

Poacher886a
07-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Yea i was hoping you did'nt need a slot..

The reason for wanting to change torps is because i want to use the fast ones with bubbles GA at night and the bubbleless ones Ge in the day!

Im sure the real U-boat commander's did the same it makes sence!

BrookieG78
07-04-2005, 11:22 AM
As far as I know all torpedo maintenance was done while they were on the hoist in front of the tube.

Probably you could have put a torpedo down on the floor of the torp room IRL. But it just seems like a very stupid thing to do. If one of those things isn't secured and starts rolling...

In the most positive scenario you might only damage the torp beyond use, or break some crews ankles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif