PDA

View Full Version : staying timmed and turns

gdfo
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
For some time now, since the 4.01 series of patches I have found the ac increasingly difficult to control.

I am using an X-52 controller.

Online I see other planes manuevering just fine and making good turns and not wobbling or stalling out.

When I take off the planes are incredibly difficult to control. Once airborn I have to very quickly adjust the rudder and elavator trim and then moments latter re-trim. While adjusting rudder trim it throws the elevator trim off. Then I start all over re-trimming.
Then the trim fades off again. If I climb and then drop the nose of the plane it will drop below the trim I had set at level. All of this is with out much fuel burn off.

In planes that I used to be able to make good short turns with, I know stall and sometimes spin.

Basically the handling seems VERY twitchy and unforgiving. The only planes that seem ok to me are the P-38s.
Trying to control the mossie and the Tempest while taxing is Taxing.

OK. What am I doing incorrectly and what can I do to to fix these problems.

Thanks

gdfo
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
For some time now, since the 4.01 series of patches I have found the ac increasingly difficult to control.

I am using an X-52 controller.

Online I see other planes manuevering just fine and making good turns and not wobbling or stalling out.

When I take off the planes are incredibly difficult to control. Once airborn I have to very quickly adjust the rudder and elavator trim and then moments latter re-trim. While adjusting rudder trim it throws the elevator trim off. Then I start all over re-trimming.
Then the trim fades off again. If I climb and then drop the nose of the plane it will drop below the trim I had set at level. All of this is with out much fuel burn off.

In planes that I used to be able to make good short turns with, I know stall and sometimes spin.

Basically the handling seems VERY twitchy and unforgiving. The only planes that seem ok to me are the P-38s.
Trying to control the mossie and the Tempest while taxing is Taxing.

OK. What am I doing incorrectly and what can I do to to fix these problems.

Thanks

ColoradoBBQ
05-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Sounds like to me that you are over-relying on trim during the entire takeoff run. Doing that is not a good way to fly. You should only adjust trim at the beginning of the takeoff run and use the joystick to keep the plane level until you reach a constant speed.

BueJack
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
You need basicall 4 trims settings which you have to work out per plane..
Landing, Takeoff, cruising and the most crucial, Combat.

Combat trim is set somewhere between stall and cruising...

Off you go now, and practise...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEBillfish
05-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Now I cannot speak for how it is supposed to be done, yet only how I do it......

A planes trim "should" (does not mean it is in the sim) be for the most part set for a cruising condition with all things neutral. Each plane pretty much has its own trim settings which can only be learned through experience (as I've not seen a chart).....Yet WILL be affected by a number of factors...Speed, throttle, prop pitch, anything that might cause drag like radiator settings.

Knowing this I tend to set trim for "maximum speed".......Meaning, to the best trim setting to make the best speed in that plane. Take offs I don't sweat too much, I set my trim for speed, lock your tail wheel, and in some cases don't use flaps till ready to launch. As I climb, trim will be off. I rarely at this point adjust elevator or rudder to compensate (though would probably climb quicker if I did)....and simply compensate with stick inputs to try and obtain the best climb rate.

Once in a cruise mode, i'll often retrim, as I like dropping prop pitch and throttle, as I still get close to the same speed without wasting fuel. However, once I'm nearing combat I'll retrim for best speed with perhaps a slight nose down. Once in combat I "rarely touch trim"....The rare cases being when I'm fine tuning for more speed in a dive to escape, or when dive bombing to compensate for the yaw.

However, 99% of the time I'm set for best speed, as most planes I fly only have elevator adjustments, when in one with aileron, I set and forget....For those with rudder I might make minor adjustments but it is rare.........

As once in combat, I have more important things to sweat.

gdfo
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok. I understand the basics of trim. I also know that changing the throttle will affect the trim. Is it supposed to?

And what about the drift I am getting?

How do you set trim for T/O?

If you are playing in a game with no outside views how do you detect what the trim is at take off?

Should I use the filtering settings?

BueJack
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Get yourself the Private Pilots hand-book, It's all in there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif