PDA

View Full Version : PC Version = Console port

dreddwales
07-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I was a big fan of the original Call of Juarez, the game was written for the PC and played and felt really great!
Ive only just started Bound in Blood and have noticed a huge diffrence in how the game feels and plays.
I understand that playing a FPS'er on a console is alot more difficult with a Pad (I tip my hat at those of you who can do it!!) and therfore the game has to be 'simplified' a little. Iron sight's should not have been removed, having that huge cross hair on the screen that turns red when your over an enemy is simply a lazy Console port.
The presentation of the game (voice actiong, story, graphics, sound) is as high as the original game was but please would you dedicate a little time to restoring the PC version of the game, so it plays like the original.

Zerocloud411
07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
i agree to an extent but enemies are already hard as hell to see and in single player i had to just run out to see where the bullets are coming from so i think its not that bad, better than pretty much any other shooter

dreddwales
07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Kind of my point m8y (ta for reply)!
This game could have been as good as the Call of Duty series, it certainly looks and sounds as good but the PC version feels sluggish, that huge cross hair hides what your trying to aim at and even on the hardest setting you have auto aim???!!!
Like I said, console players do need a little help but there is no need for PC gamers to be helped in any such way.
Please development team, for the PC version:
-sort out the god awfull responce for the mouse settings
-remove the ruddy huge cross hair that hides what your looking or aiming at
-add a lean option
-remove the auto aim feature
-restore iron sight's/ zoom / aim for the right mouse button
A dam fine looking game with one of the best background stories (since Call of Juarez 1), just needs a little tweaking and it could play as well as the Call of Duty Series, that it a bench mark you could easilly reach!
Cheers

Hobbes
07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I must confess that I pretty much echo those feelings. Beautifully presented game, but the cross-hair is intrusive, and auto-aim really should have an option to be disabled (I'm playing on the 'hard' difficulty setting ONLY because I've heard that some of the 'assists' are disabled - which may or may not be true).

Mouse precision feels off compared to the original game, so I've found the gunfights to be far less satisfying as a result - though I may go back and play the first one for a bit to check that my memory isn't simply hazy, or something.

Otherwise, I think it's terrific (what I've seen so far). The assault up the driveway approaching the family home was particularly fun ... ^_^

illspirit
07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Super lazy console port. At least pretend you're making it for the PC.

IronCommando
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Aside from the standardization of the menu and controls I would say this is not a port at all. Case in point: We actually still have numerous graphics options (not 3 on something like Prototype), and even hidden in the config files we can enable EAX (enviromental audio) support.

Also the performance of the engine is great on the PC.

And as far as I know, autoaim can be disabled in the menu options, so if you don't want it... don't use it.

Th3_Pwn3r
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by IronCommando:
Aside from the standardization of the menu and controls I would say this is not a port at all. Case in point: We actually still have numerous graphics options (not 3 on something like Prototype), and even hidden in the config files we can enable EAX (enviromental audio) support.

Also the performance of the engine is great on the PC.

And as far as I know, autoaim can be disabled in the menu options, so if you don't want it... don't use it.

I agree with you, the PC performance is great, high frames and the controls are nice, i realy dont know what you guys didnt like in the game, i got the PC version and love it... only the multiplayer need to be fixed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

thrashingfury
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
I have a feeling that the only reason performance is up is all the great particle and smoke effects the first game had are not here, I miss the big plumes of smoke and dust that took a while to disperse.

dreddwales
07-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Perhaps my love for the first Call of Juarez has caused me to expect too much from the second installment. Also I cant help but compare the game to the Call of Duty series. The CoD series has a perfect feel to the controls and weapons and if they ever decided to make a version of the game set in the American Civil War, blimey, it would be good.
I just wish the developers take a look at the PC version of Bound in Blood. They have been lazy and ported over the assist's/ options needed to make a FPS'er more enjoyable on a game pad. I have both a PS3 and 360 but cannot enjoy a FPS'er because it's bloomin difficult (I end up blasting my feet most of the time!) to play with a pad.
It would be very easy for them to solve these little niggles, optional Iron sight's and a more responcive feel to the mouse would make this game as good as CoD 4. CoJ:BiB as got it all, great graphics, sound, characters, setting, story, presentation ..... please Mr.Developer ..... some of us PC gamers still pay for our games and need you to recognise this and give us a little tweak http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Im off to Steam to dl'd the original CoJ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Doctor_Hades
07-03-2009, 04:39 AM
While not exactly a lame console port, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood nevertheless has a disappointing set of in-game customisation options that suggest the console versions took priority.

For example, the Video.src settings file allows you to enable V-Sync and AA among other things but none of those options are selectable from the game itself. The lack of an in-game V-Sync option (to prevent screen tearing) is a shocking omission in my opinion, especially as it cannot be forced through the graphics driver control panel as with other games that neglect to include a V-Sync option.

Fine the console versions cannot run the game with V-Sync on but the PC certainly can if you have a decent system. Yes, it can be edited manually but wouldn't it be more sensible to make those Video.src options available through the game itself? Why make it so complicated?

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Thnxs for the comments Dredwales. It`s stuff like this that help me decide whether or not to get the game.

At the moment, it`s looking very much like I`m NOT getting it.

borntoexpire
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
What a awful consolized mess, such a dissapointment after the excellent original.

I will strongly consider not purchasing Dead Island and Warhound after seeing how Techland bent over for console gamers.

Liquid_Z
07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Original message by: borntoexpire
What a awful consolized mess, such a dissapointment after the excellent original.

I will strongly consider not purchasing Dead Island and Warhound after seeing how Techland bent over for console gamers.
really? Origial game got about 6.0 out of 10 on avarage. This one had about 8.0 out of 10. As you can see, they are improving. I would assume that Dead Island and Warhound would also be an improvment. BTW, the PC version played better then the PS3 Version. Yeah, "Console port", good one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

thrashingfury
07-04-2009, 01:17 AM
So what most console games play better on PC, doesn't mean it is a good port, just means it has been somewhat optimized for PC, the real issue is that the game suffers from being a console port in general, consolitis if you will. It doesn't really feel like a PC game, when the first game was made as a PC game with the console version made after, not to mention DX10 support.
As for ratings, you would be surprised what advertising dollars can do to a reviewer, considering there are cases of people being fired for giving a bad review of an advertiser's game.

s-a-l-t-y
07-04-2009, 03:08 PM
In my opinion this game actually "feels" like an FPS again....the first one felt "strange" in the MP and that's why it had such a small following.... (btw... I ran a dedicated server for the original CoJ for a long time)

In my opinion this game is a SUCCESSFUL port, and what I mean by that is....it takes the best of the console and the best of the PC and puts them together.

Nicely done Techland! Kudos! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

the Monk

timstim
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM
i have both the pc and the 360 ver of the game.this is the first time ever i can say the 360 ver is by far better runs way smoother and has way better graphics on the 360 ver.usualy its the other way around.. i have a high end pc with a 1200 dollar nvidia card, and it looks like crap compared to the 300 dollar xbox360.obviously was made for the console.love the game ,porting could have been better but i will just play it on the 360.

IronCommando
07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by timstim:
i have both the pc and the 360 ver of the game.this is the first time ever i can say the 360 ver is by far better runs way smoother and has way better graphics on the 360 ver.usualy its the other way around.. i have a high end pc with a 1200 dollar nvidia card, and it looks like crap compared to the 300 dollar xbox360.obviously was made for the console.love the game ,porting could have been better but i will just play it on the 360.

That is the most bull**** assessment of a graphics comparison I have ever heard.

Physically, you can alter IQ settings not even possible on the 360 ... like Abmient Occlusion, Anti-Aliasing, and higher texture levels.

If it looks better on your 360 and you have a "1200 dollar nvidia card" (which could only be a Quadro which is a graphics workstation card and you don't use for gaming), then you have a horribly configured PC.

Doctor_Hades
07-06-2009, 06:27 AM
You cannot enable V-Sync on the Xbox 360 version to fix the horrible, horrible screen tearing that plagues that version so that's an instant fail there straight away.

The PC version might be a little light on customisations options, noteably in-game V-Sync and FSAA options (which have to be enabled manually at the moment), and it could do with a slider to tweak the excessive draw in issues but to my eyes it looks a lot nicer than the console versions since it runs at higher screen resolutions and with AA.

dreddwales
07-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Game looks and sounds fantastic on the PC ..... just some game play issues to iron out with a patch and it's a classic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sherris1974
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Looks better on Xbox ... lol

s-a-l-t-y
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by sherris1974:
Looks better on Xbox ... lol

Only if you have ****ty PC! :P

mcox1960
07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Buy an X BOX 360......This game "Kicks ***"
10 times better than the first game.
PC's Not for to many Games,need a reg. game console to get the real FEEL!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Works excellent on my 360..
BLAST AWAY!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif