PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea for recce missions

rhugouvi
06-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi all!

First of all, I'd like to say that I've been enjoying the Il2 serie for several years by now.
But to be honest, I've been quite disappointed with existing recce simulations so far. Recce missions are too often limited to a simple waypoint overflight, without any camera to trigger on or possibility to get a B&W picture of what you shot.

I've been thinking about a way to give recce missions an extra interest, and I'd like to share with you an idea.
Il2 incorporates the quick video feature. So, the position of aircraft, boats and armors can be recorded every nth of second, and when you play it again, you can move freely around your plane.
"Recce-wise", toggling the quick vid could simulate the camera's activation. Then, when the player exits the mission, the environment is regenerated, the free view is aimed at nadir, a snapshot is taken. This would be repeated as many quarters of second as the cameras were running.
No snapshot would be taken while in flight, what is less lag-prone. The player would see his pix either through a viewer directly in the game, or from JPG files in an appropriate sub-folder.

Well, I hope I've made myself clear and that you get the main idea. It might not be on top of the developers' priority list, but anyway, I should give it a try.

I hope you 've found something valuable in my post, and please contact me either here or by e-mail at huoneestani (at) yahoo.fr (yes, it's "huoneestani") if you want some extra details.

BR,

Rhugouvi.

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I get the idea- not a bad feature, although i fear it is just a novelty, because I don't see how this can be a mission-goal- how does the sim know if yoiu accomplished the recce? X number of targets that need to be photographed are in the vid? How does the sim know?

rhugouvi
06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, the mission could be considered as completed if you do fly over the waypoint AND the cameras run at that time.
An additional thing could be that the sim checks if the bank angle is lower than eg 5? (so that the cameras aim at nadir, ie at the waypoint).
This could also be repeated for several targets.
The player would just have a look at the pix to know what he's just risked his virtual life for.

IIt would be interesting to know if this feature would be difficult to add from a developer's point of view, and if some other players would enjoy it.

Philipscdrw
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I'd like to fly realistic recce flights. Flying a high-performance, unarmed aircraft and evading the enemy... But I don't know anything at all about how real recce flights operated! If recce can be done realistically and immersively it will give more depth to the sim, like every other genre of mission.

stansdds
06-17-2007, 05:04 AM
It's an interesting idea for a combat flight sim, don't think it has been done before, at least not in an off-line campaign setting. My old squadron occasionally ran a recon mission, but it was rare.

By the way, not all recon aircraft were unarmed. USN/USMC fighters equipped with cameras in the aft fuselage area also carried the normal machine gun or cannon armament. The USAAF P-51's equipped with cameras (F-6 in USAAF nomenclature) carried the normal machine gun armament.

avimimus
06-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I tried to talk Oleg into this back in 2000 (before the release).

The basic idea is that you would have a trigger (ie. "weapon") that would take a number of pictures.

Then three short calculations would be made:
- Are the primary recon targets in the picture? Are there secondary targets?
- What is the distance to these targets, what is the degree of atmospheric haze/clouds
- Is the airplane turning, vibrating etc. at this time

From that the player's mission success and score (as well as the recon effectiveness in a dynamic campaign) would be calculated.

Oleg could do it. It would make for challenging gameplay (alone, unarmed and unafraid anyone?)