PDA

View Full Version : Ju-88 Altimeter bug?

p-11.cAce
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I checked this in several different missions and it seems that the Altimeter in the Ju-88 winds around on the "hundreds" fine but the "thousands" number in the window stays at 0. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Am I missing something? I'll need an accurate altimeter for my night d-bombing missions I'm planning.

p-11.cAce
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah the altimeter is definatly busted - I know the readme said to accept the cockpit as it is but I hate to have to use the speedbar to get my altitude!

Beckh_3.JG51
02-12-2006, 10:49 AM
There are two altimeters, look right below altimeter that shows hundreds, there is another one that indicates thousands + the red needle indicates your preselect bombing altitude.
I am kinda confused about all dive bombing business, I follow the instructions in read me file but it doesnt work for me. Steps 8 to 10 just doesnt work, any help would be appreciated.

Dive Bombing Method in the Ju-88

These are the actual instructions from the historical Fl œb 8-179/4 manual.
(Traditional method with "Dive Automation")

1. Close radiator.
2. Set propeller pitch to 100% (Auto).
3. Set bombsight speed to estimated drop speed (can also adjust during dive).
4. Set bombsight altitude (for example 1000m).
5. Center trim (on Ju88 red marks).
6. Press Divebrake button (this will also trim plane to dive).
7. Set power to idle (0%).
8. Take aim with ring in top part of the sight. Also take note of the dive
bombing marker ("Krawatte") below the ring on the vertical line.
9. Hold target in the ring until you hear the drop altitude warning buzzer.
10. Pull up so that the dive bombing marker becomes superimposed on the
target. Hold steady for a moment.
11. Press the bomb release button (this will also initiate the pull-out by centering
the trim again).
12. Press the divebrake button again to raise the brakes up.
13. Apply power slowly to avoid overspeeding the engines.
14. Open the radiator and adjust prop pitch for cruise, if necessary.

FritzGryphon
02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
All planes that have dual-needle altimiters seem to be busted. Like P-38.

p-11.cAce
02-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I should have got back in here and posted that second atlimeter - I found it after I wrote the original post - I had not realized that the red line indicated the set altitude for the sight though! Steps 8-10 in the readme are written a bit poorly. Those steps all happen in a few short seconds! Basically what they are saying is get the release point marker centered over your intended target and then stabalize the a/c for a moment before hitting the release and pulling out of the dive. If you are still manuvering when you hit the release the inertia from the manuvering will toss the bomb wide of the target - even if the target is under the sight marker when you hit the release. Imagine you are driving down the road and you want to chuck a waterballoon at your neighbor (hehe) - If you are driving straight down the road you can pretty well estimate when to release and hit your neighbor. Now if you are getting ready to throw and you suddenly turn the car the balloon trajectory will be affected by both the inertia of the car moving fwd as well as the new force vector introduced by the turn. If you release in the same way you will miss!

Beckh_3.JG51
02-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Ye I see what You're saying, i guess my problem is that that release marker doesnt move anywhere, just stays at the bottom of the sight, regardless of the dive angle. Thanks.

p-11.cAce
02-12-2006, 01:01 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I'm trying to think of what would cause that. It has to be one of the settings for altitude or speed. I always use 750M as my release altitude in DB and I think I've got the speed around 450kph. I usually see the release marker start to slide up the sight as I push through 70 deg or so. I'm setting up a UDPSpeed rig right now...I'll do some testing in a bit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif