PDA

View Full Version : Oleg! Small Proposal on Japanese Aircraft Markings

Talos2005
01-16-2005, 11:52 PM
€œCost Conscious Approach€
As some other contributors in this Forum point out, I agree, the standards of some, not all, of Japanese aircraft markings are deplorable and could tarnish the image of PF indeed, even so, I admit PF keep fascinating me a lot. I really respect and appreciate all the contributions of Japanese people I could pick some of their names up from the credit, who clearly demonstrate their ability to assist to make this game great. There must be behind the scene many more who offered indispensable documents about planes, engines, flight models and its physics, etc.
In case of Japanese plane markings, some difficulties certainly exist because the number of photos left available is quite limited compared with tremendous amounts of those for Germany and Allied Forces.
Therefore, so called historically correct includes historically plausible in many cases.
Spending a lot of cash from now to research those markings are waste of time and money unless you would try to submit a Ph.D. thesis on the subject to Moscow University. This is just a game, and your business also.
No nonsense, down to earth and cost conscious approach is the most effective in this case.
As former plastic model plane enthusiast, I strongly recommend to check titles and periodicals published by €œModel Art€ in Japan. €œModel Art€ is the oldest publisher for plastic model enthusiasts in this country. One title specializes Zero, Val, and Kate participated in Pearl Harbour. Other titles specializes IJN fighters, bombers, IJA warplanes, etc. Each of them includes a lot of beautifully coloured drawings€and you do not need to understand Japanese. Of course, I could not say or guarantee all of those drawings are historically correct. But, they are at some degrees researched by Japanese enthusiasts, and I could comment them as €œhistorically much more plausible€ compared with some of default markings in PF.
If some of those titles are out of stock, you might find them at Bunkado Shoten, a famous second-hand military book shop in Jinbo-cho, Knanda, Tokyo.
Another recommended plastic model related periodical is €œScale Aviation€ published by Dai-Nippon-Kaiga. This is a bi-monthly magazine specializes in aircraft models and sometimes gives us good articles on markings of IJN and IJA aircraft.
Those above mentioned materials cost you only small amount of money and have potential to enhance the credibility and appeal of PF to combatsim fan all over the world.
This is my small proposal, and if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. I do speak English and could communicate through e-mail either. Or, you might definitely be able to find much more qualified Japanese people on this subject.

Finally, I understand your €œcommunity requests filtering policy€ posted at the end of the last year. Without it, nobody could control huge amounts of requests issued everyday.
Also, PF is your business and it is completely up to you as business manager to take up any proposals or advises implementing on this game. I hope this article could attract your attention to enhance this sim to a little bit better level for the community.

Kind Regards,

Talos2005
01-16-2005, 11:52 PM
€œCost Conscious Approach€
As some other contributors in this Forum point out, I agree, the standards of some, not all, of Japanese aircraft markings are deplorable and could tarnish the image of PF indeed, even so, I admit PF keep fascinating me a lot. I really respect and appreciate all the contributions of Japanese people I could pick some of their names up from the credit, who clearly demonstrate their ability to assist to make this game great. There must be behind the scene many more who offered indispensable documents about planes, engines, flight models and its physics, etc.
In case of Japanese plane markings, some difficulties certainly exist because the number of photos left available is quite limited compared with tremendous amounts of those for Germany and Allied Forces.
Therefore, so called historically correct includes historically plausible in many cases.
Spending a lot of cash from now to research those markings are waste of time and money unless you would try to submit a Ph.D. thesis on the subject to Moscow University. This is just a game, and your business also.
No nonsense, down to earth and cost conscious approach is the most effective in this case.
As former plastic model plane enthusiast, I strongly recommend to check titles and periodicals published by €œModel Art€ in Japan. €œModel Art€ is the oldest publisher for plastic model enthusiasts in this country. One title specializes Zero, Val, and Kate participated in Pearl Harbour. Other titles specializes IJN fighters, bombers, IJA warplanes, etc. Each of them includes a lot of beautifully coloured drawings€and you do not need to understand Japanese. Of course, I could not say or guarantee all of those drawings are historically correct. But, they are at some degrees researched by Japanese enthusiasts, and I could comment them as €œhistorically much more plausible€ compared with some of default markings in PF.
If some of those titles are out of stock, you might find them at Bunkado Shoten, a famous second-hand military book shop in Jinbo-cho, Knanda, Tokyo.
Another recommended plastic model related periodical is €œScale Aviation€ published by Dai-Nippon-Kaiga. This is a bi-monthly magazine specializes in aircraft models and sometimes gives us good articles on markings of IJN and IJA aircraft.
Those above mentioned materials cost you only small amount of money and have potential to enhance the credibility and appeal of PF to combatsim fan all over the world.
This is my small proposal, and if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. I do speak English and could communicate through e-mail either. Or, you might definitely be able to find much more qualified Japanese people on this subject.

Finally, I understand your €œcommunity requests filtering policy€ posted at the end of the last year. Without it, nobody could control huge amounts of requests issued everyday.
Also, PF is your business and it is completely up to you as business manager to take up any proposals or advises implementing on this game. I hope this article could attract your attention to enhance this sim to a little bit better level for the community.

Kind Regards,

elephant_il2
01-17-2005, 06:25 AM
I agree and support you totaly my friend http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Even I'm not Japanese, I myself have sent a couple of posts,here and e-mails to 1C on Japanese marking and numbering system in PF that in some cases find it rather weak.
Hope these remarks be heared by the production team.

p1ngu666
01-17-2005, 06:43 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

JG54_Lukas
01-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Agreed. I really do hope 1C cleans up the Japanese markings and some of the default skins, especially for the Zero, before all development switches over to BoB. It's just a shame to see such wonderfully done markings & skins on planes like the Hellcats & Corsairs and then see the IMO mediocre effort on some of the Japanese planes.

Stiglr
01-17-2005, 11:40 AM
It just goes to show how cursory an attempt was made to understand the subject, and how rushed overall the entire effort was.

Blame Ubi and Maddox/1c about equally; I'm sure Ubi kept the pressure to get boxes on shelves, and we're already seeing the inability of the design staff to utilize readily available sources that could have "solved" these problems and inaccuracies before they even became problems and inaccuracies.

VW-IceFire
01-17-2005, 11:42 AM
As I said in another thread, I tried, researched, and even sent in information regarding the deplorable state of the RAF markings (which are just as bad or worse than the Japanese ones in nearly all cases except the new FAA Corsairs). I got very polite responses and they were great about it...but I suspect nothing will happen.

I did try.

They aren't as concerned about these things it seems. A good point was made that custom skins are for this...but it'd be nice to have the game just do it relatively properly, even if it is somewhat generic (which is just fine!).

But it seems they never really have enough time...which I would say that they should have been done right in the first place and not messed up the colors, positioning, types, and so on. Its the same situation for the really hardcore Japanese aircraft enthusiasts...I feel and understand your pain. You're welcome to try and I support your efforts.

MoritzJGOne
01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I am not going to blame anyone as I did not know a thing about the markings on Japanese aircraft until I was inspired by Pac. Fighters to visit Japanese model aircraft sites and pick up both the Grub Street JAAF Aces and Squadrons and the IJN Aces and Sqadrons books.

I am currently making a IJN fighter unit database, since there are many out here with the currently published IJAAF book.

The IJN books explain the tail codes and carrier stripes and a set of skins can be done. If the game has a calendar function then the simple reorganizations could be effeced and the correct corresponding tail numbers. For example, Shokaku and Zuikaku through Midway are the 5th carrier division and Shokaku's planes have an 'EI' preface and Zuikaku had "EII' for the second carrier in the division. After Midway, in July, they become the 1st carrier division and the prefixes go to 'AI' and 'AII' repsecitvely.

I noticed using a very nice Val skin that the game does a correct job of displaying the individual numbers on hte tail and were seamless wiht the prefiz that was part of the skin.

I would like to see 1C allow us into the code of the campaign game and correct the default skins, assign the correct carriers and units.