PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 controller for windows

kurtm281
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Has anyone tried the Xbox 360 controller with RB6 3 PC version? If so, how well did it work? Was there any problem mapping the buttons on the controller?

O_SHOGTUK_O
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I havnt sorry. Control pads cannot challenge Keyboard and mouse. Having the ability to aim freely (almost as freely as real life) with a mouse is pricelss. The keyboard is also better because all buttons are in view and accessible (more than any control pads).

Pacemaker701SQ
03-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I agree.. I have been a pc gamer for the most part and only recently have decided to play online console games. When possible I would like to use the keyboard and mouse adaptor for the xbox rather then use the controller.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=82&products_id=5438#accessories

Brettzies
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
For a first person shooter, I say why? For other things, like Madden or a platformer, it would be great. Read a review of it in PcGamer, they said it's the best gamepad on the market for your PC.

Also read in a game mag they did a little HALO challenge against some hardcore console peeps. The console guys used the controllers and the PC guys used mouse and keyboard. They were surprised how the consoles guys still put up a challenge, but, in the end they pretty much got smoked.

kurtm281
03-24-2006, 05:50 AM
I agree that aiming in FPS games is much quicker with the mouse. However I think I move better with a hand held contoller. It is too easy for my fingers to wander on the keyboard.

I am just wondering if I can use the 360 controller for a RB6 PC game. The only types games that I play are FPS and sim racing games. I play on both console and PC. The PC games have more to offer as far as features and graphics when compared to consoles

doubleTAP5.56mm
03-24-2006, 02:38 PM
The main prob I have using a controller for R6 and swat4 is using the command menu. It's hard to get the analog sticks to work the menu properly. However I haven't tried the 360 one yet, only the xbox type.
And ya, u can aim lightning fast with a mouse, but for actually moving your character like a human, the controller feels better to me. And I despise that sterile, video-gamie "feel" of clicking a mouse button to fire weapons.

O_SHOGTUK_O
03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
'gamie feel'? hahahah theres nothing more gamie than a contorl pad.

Your hands wander, your more comfortable with contorl pad. This is because you are not used to keyboard and mouse (maybe you think you are, but compared to some players, you are not). I play console games (GTA San Andreas and im good with moving and aiming, james bond/fps games and Fifa 2006), i am very competent with PS2 analog and control pads in general but there is no competition when it comes to keyboard and mouse for an FPS. With games that have less buttons then yeah us a pad but RVS for ecample has: move F,B,L,R. Scope, shoot, sprint, peak L + R, manual peak, reload, fire selector, crouch, stand, action, primary weapon, secondary weapon, accessory 1 + 2, nightvision, squad commands, voice orders (go go go etc), player map plus more...

keyboard (once you get used to it) is better and a mouse i ten times better than a joystick/D pad. End of story http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Brettzies
03-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Interesting how people feel.

It's like anything though. You just have to get use to it. I remember when FPSs were pretty much just keyboard and you moved with the arrow keys or number pad. I couldn't really fathom using the mouse to look around and my "LEFT" hand to move. Strange. It took a little while to get use to using the mouse to look around, but it was pretty obvious that it was the way to go when things became "3d." I think a lot of people discovered independently WASD + mouse was the most comfortable way to control, pretty soon it just became standard.

Clicking to pull the trigger. LOL. I guess if you're use to something else it would feel wierd. I always thought the controller triggers felt strange, but then, in some ways, it's a more realistic physcial motion for firing. But that's about it. Mouse + keyboard is much more fluid once you get use to it.

kurtm281
03-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Does any one know how to remap the keyboard buttons to a hand held controller in a RB6 game?

KungFu_CIA
03-25-2006, 05:48 PM
As most things in life, there are pros and cons to each kind of control scheme:

The control pad has the more tactile feel than a sterile mouse and keyboard, but not the accuracy the mouse has with aiming. Control pads have the avdantage of pressure sensitive controls such as your movement (left analog stick) not just being slow, or fast, but everything in between depending on how far you press the stick forward.

Movement (left and right; forward and back) with a control pad is the easy part. Aiming with the "poor mouse" aka the right analog stick is where most PC gamers have problems and why most games default to auto aim because of this decreaed accuracy. However, this is all due to design choices by developers more than a gamers ability (or inability) to properly aim with the right analog stick, though.

Being an avid gamer... That is console and PC... I just tought myself to use both equally well and also, as I said before, it also depends on how well the game is designed to use the control pad, or the mouse and keyboard for that makes all the difference in the world because a bad control scheme is a bad control scheme no matter what the input device.

The most recent example of a bad control sceheme is the Xbox I version of GRAW. The designers mapped the "hold breath" when in sniper mode button to the same function as sprinting, ergo, people are trying to steady their aim, but instead sprint forward http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

(GRAW for Xbox I is just a terrible game overall compared to 360, but the point is part of this i s a weak control scheme).

Does any one know how to remap the keyboard buttons to a hand held controller in a RB6 game?

Depending on the brand of controller you are using, most offer keyboard and mouse emulation software that allows you to map the various functions to the buttons and analog sticks of the control pad.

Logitech and Gravis come with this software by default (you can also download it for free from the company website), so check the brand of your controller and see if there are already pre-made profiles for FPS games on their website.

The main prob I have using a controller for R6 and swat4 is using the command menu. It's hard to get the analog sticks to work the menu properly. However I haven't tried the 360 one yet, only the xbox type.
And ya, u can aim lightning fast with a mouse, but for actually moving your character like a human, the controller feels better to me. And I despise that sterile, video-gamie "feel" of clicking a mouse button to fire weapons.

There should be a way to map hotkeys -- Which is part of SWAT 4's classic interface -- To do more of the complex commands. Also, if more squad based games would include voice recognition software, this problem all but goes away as the player can issue complex commands by just speaking them.

dindiface
04-11-2006, 09:15 PM
I personally play battlefield 2 with a mouse (5 button intellypro) and a playstation 2 gamepad in my left hand on my lap.

The 2 shoulder buttons give a good duck/sprint, while the thumb does a quick prone.

It is also nice because when flying, i just grab the pad with both hands and release the mouse.

I have to admit that sometimes i need extra buttons and have to reach for the keyboard (also on lap next to mouse) ...

I was seriously thinking about marrying a trackball (such as a logi marble) to a gamepad, but then you loose a finger for aiming again.

IMO a good solution would be a gamepad with a lit row of buttons (oled?) on top, and 4 shoulder buttons. But this is way off topic.

Ohh btw why does no game support the horizontal scrolls of the new MS intellipro mice ?
The dumb software cannot map it to a keypress either. Would be great to peek around corners this way or just use it for zooming, weapon change/etc)

SAS_Shield
04-12-2006, 01:09 AM
i would normally play with the defaults on most games, but for the original R6 game it used the right side of the keyboard with 0 for relaod nad hte arrows keys and fomr then on i only used that setup until UT came out where I had to learn to jump fast nad not to to get by something, thats when I switched to the wasd setup