PDA

View Full Version : This happened to anyone else?

Vittorio1
02-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Flew tonight in W/Clouds, (couldnt see winds of war), 1943 set up, so i took up a p51B, well lets be honest who wouldnt, got to be the fastest plane in 43 set up (I like to extend you know!, if needs be), anyway shot down a HE111, (with help of some spits), so while on landing approach dropped flaps trimmed her up nice and dropped gear, ......NOTHING..............now i took a few pings from HE111, but no damage message, or even visable damage on wings, just my luck, worked hard for kill and no gear.

I decided to belly land her, then i got the idea, I wonder if manualy dropping the gear will work?, i start pumping gear manual (CTRL G) lever and low and behold it drops, 3 lights go from red to green on dashboard and iam down safe.

Never knew that....that if gear is shot out you can manualy drop it. great.

nsteense
02-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Happened to me as well, some time ago, when flying a DO335.
It doesn't give you a message saying the hydraulics or air lines are damaged...
One of the many nice little details of the game!

Cajun76
02-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Yep, unless your gear is just shot off, doing a manual drop usually works. Works on every plane that I know of, but I haven't flown them all in that circumstance.

WB_Outlaw
02-02-2007, 05:47 AM
There have been occasions where even the manual gear function won't work but it usually does. IIRC, the I-16 "manual" function was just a pair of wire cutters in the cockpit that you used to cut the cable on the hand crank. Hopefully gravity and a little bit of positive G would do the rest. Most others were a hand operated hydraulic pump though. For those A/C with an electric drive I guess the manual crank was just geared to the motor.

--Outlaw.

tigertalon
02-02-2007, 06:33 AM
IRL gear was held up in the wings by pressure in hydravlics. If a plane got shot up and hydravlics were pierced, gears droped out of wings (which is a common sight on early war guncam).

Droping gear manually when it's damaged is one of the things that surprised me as well! Nice touch Oleg. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LT.INSTG8R
02-02-2007, 06:42 AM
It has saved my bacon on many occasions when I remember it(Im a bit of a late gear dropper)and I always mean to put in my profile on a macro on a toggle for emergencies but alas not yet.....okay right now then!

PBNA-Boosher
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I normally drop my gear when I'm turning onto the base leg of my pattern, unless it's an aircraft with an unusually long gear drop. This has happened to me, and I love it. I've also had my flaps fail to deploy, my throttle get jammed, my gear shot out from under me (MAN that was a fun TB-3 landing)... This game rocks! I bet you there are fifty things we haven't discovered about it yet.