PDA

View Full Version : OT - Graphics Card

Wolf52371
02-26-2005, 09:48 PM
So ive been running my current card for a long time now (its a GeForce 3 ti200 with 128 mb of ram) and i think its about time for an upgrade. I had a Radeon 9800 a while ago but it lasted 6 weeks before catching on fire! I bought it from a real ******** company, they wouldnt replace or give me money back, **** fine print! Anyway, ive been a bit out of touch with what graphics cards are good and i need some help. To further complicate things im working with a very limited budget so i need to get something for $200 or less.

civildog
02-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Get a 9800Pro.....you won't regret it. But next time either read the fine print and save your receipt, or take some muscle with you so the guy that ripped you off can pay for a new card with his legs.

LuckyBoy1
02-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Post your diagnosis over in Community Help forum to get your best advice. If you need instructions on how to run a diagnosis or have trouble posting it, see Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users.

Wolf52371
02-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah i think my old graphics card is a bit beyond the fixing stage, after all if i put it back in my computer it will probably catch on fire again...

horseback
02-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Wolf, the two main players in the graphics card business are still Nvidia and ATI; there's a lot of debate about which is better, but from my experience with both, I'd say that Nvidia cards tend to be slightly better in terms of stability, while the ATI hardware tends to be slightly more capable, but correspondingly more tempramental.

If I were you, I'd base my choice on my tolerance for random crashes, and having to uninstall and reinstall new drivers. For the less computer savvy, Nvidia is definitely the safer choice. The bang for the buck is essentially the same in your price range.

Keep an eye on your local newspaper's computer page, and if you can find something local that is dedicated to computing (I'm in San Diego, we have a free weekly called ComputorEdge that is terrific for this), check the advertisements for a good buy at the computer specialty stores. It can be shocking how much better the prices are over the big retailers.

cheers

horseback

dugong
02-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Wolf -

I went from a 9600 Pro to a 9800 Pro. I saw absolutely no gain in performance on my AMD 2400 XP rig. I promptly returned it. I think my computer was pushing the 9600 card as fast as it could go and conversely it could not push the 9800 to anywhere near it's potential. SO, I will wait for my upgrade to...oh say..... a 3400 or so before scoring me that 9800 Pro.

I know a thing or two about tweaking and such, as most around here do, so I am confident my assessment is spot on. So, depending on your current rig, you might be in a Catch 22 like me.

Good luck!

Jasko76
02-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Dugdong -

something must have been wrong with your system! I also had an XP2400, and I also upgraded from 9600Pro to 9800Pro and the difference was amazing! Incredible jump in framerates, no matter which game. I could even run Il-2 in perfect http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dugong
02-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Jasko -

Nah, nothing wrong with my computer. I run most things fine with the 9600 setup. I just thought I would get maybe a %10 - %20 increase with just a graphics card swap. Just curious, what were your framerates before upgrading? Maybe mine were higher than yours with my 9600?

Hardware is a fickle thing.

MaxMhz
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Well I don't know in which country you live Wolf - but threaten that **** vendor you will take him to court! YOU DO HAVE RIGHTS !

ATI has a history of frying 9800 cards (no heat paste between the cooling and the graphics chip - but then some nVidea Ti4800's have the same problem too). That's THEIR fault! Write them / Email them and demand another http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ATI's cards generaly give better graphics (and fps) in the price range you say. The 9600Pro is a good choise too.

If you do decide to buy an nVidea - I'd recommend AOpen - preferably a "Aeolus" that's great value-for-money (don't buy ASUS - they're **** lol).