PDA

View Full Version : First kills: sweet moments!!!

cueceleches
04-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi!

I´m rather new to sub sims. I had SH2, but never spent enough time to enjoy it.
Now, with SH3, I´m totally hooked! What a beauty!
I´ve already passed all the academy exams, and started a carreer with a IIa...On my first patrol, near the coast of England, I just spotted a single merchant, engaged it at night while surfaced, but it did spot me also and started hard maneuvers, which prevented me to make a solid and constant torp solution. So I spent all of my fishes and just scored one hit, but not enough to sink it...I was way disappointed, as I inverted much time following the target. I returned to Wilhemshaven with low morale...
Then came the second patrol, close to Scapa Flow. This time I decided to go to periscope depth as soon as I spotted a ship, and so I did when I intercepted a C2. I was in perfect bearing, almost 90º from him and closing. This time I couldn´t miss. I got closer, 800m, and fired two fishes...The first one struck directly amidships, but I was surprised when the second torp just bounced off the hull with a hard "CLONK"...D´oh!!! I rapidly fired my remnant torp before the ship started maneuvering. I was now at 600m and the torp hit the ship again with a huuuuge explosion and broke it into two parts. YUUUHUUUU!!!! My first victory!! I surfaced the sub, and just watched as the merchant sunk quietly into the black abyss...hehehehe...I´m proud of my crew...And of myself as captain! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, after this one, I sank another one, and two more on my 4th patrol...Going for a new Type VII sub next time!

BTW, I´m actually at 68% realism. Hard enough for a beginner...
Thanks for reading, I just wanted to post how much fun I´m having on this one!

redsolo
04-15-2005, 05:44 AM
I had also a very nice first kill last night, but it was after much work. Since I only had 5 torps and no flak guns, I have to make my shots count.

It was the pitchest dark night of them all, with a thick overcast, heavy fog, heavy precipitation and 7ms wind. I couldnt see anything. But then radio reported about a contact not far from me, and I started to meet it.

Just out of luck it appears in front of me, it came out of the fog like a ghost ship. I actually had to make the largest turn to port; or otherwise I would have hit it. Anyhow after pulling myself together, I started planning my attack route. Everything was setup when I was ready and the ship was in front of me. Off goes the torpedo, and I cant see anything. 10 seconds later I hear bang, and I try to catch up with it to see it sink. But it didnt sink, it just continued on its route. Darn, but after another attack circle to shoot at it again, the ship just disappears. I have let it drift of to long, and I had no way of seeing it (nor did my watch crew, and my WO had a Watch ability/feature). So i screwed up on my first encounter.

No rest for the weary, I dived down and tried to pin point the ship through the hydrophone. There I got a bearing but it was already at a long range, so I had to start following the ship. My routine went like this, surface for 10 mins (game time), dive down and get a pinpoint through hydrophone, surface and try to meet it again for 10 mins before diving again. I kept doing this for 1 hour (real time), and trying to peer through the observation scope, my binoculars, but I couldnt find it.

Suddenly it appears in front of me again, and then after quickly targetting it; I fire of a torpedo which hits it. AND at last it started to burn, and it went under. That was some intense game, played for 1.5 hours just trying to find out where the ship went. I was so tired after that so I went straight to bed, as probably my crew did as well.

I love that this game isnt just point and shoot, you need to find the ships as well. It is just to much fun to be good for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dominicrigg
04-15-2005, 05:50 AM
Nice stories guys. I wish you many more kills too! This is a cool game, prepare to be pretty badly addicted...

cueceleches
04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Ahhhh! What a thrilling sim this one really is!!! BTW, I manage to finish off a little merchant with my 20mm flak cannon...Is it possible??? I tried it as I had no torps left and it didn´t want to sink, so I pointed to the hull and just let go some lead into it (well...four full magazines!), and it finally sank.