PDA

View Full Version : U-653 Sunk (My Shortest Career)

ILikePortillos
11-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Yep, you heard it right. U-653 sunk near the NW approaches. FIRST PATROL! I've noticed my first post is still on this first page of posts!

Well, the following few days were strangely quiet. U-653 had finally made it to her patrol grid of AM 19 in calm seas. They were spotted by a lone Sunderland and dove to 25 meters where they remained through the day and the following night. On the morning of the 13th of April, they surfaced, plotted the course pictured below and set off at standard speed.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ILikePortillos/Detlef%20Koch/MapFromU-653.jpg

The seas had gotten choppy enough that the deck crew donned their bad weather gear. Then, about an hour later, two Sunderlands spotted U-653 on the surface. There was apparently some confusion, as the boat didn't dive. Actually, the order was given to man the AA guns and fire on the incoming aircraft. It was a precious few moments before the commander realized that it wasn't possible in the current conditions, so he gave the order ahead full, dive to 25 meters and turn hard to port.

Too late, the Sunderlands flew in, without being fired upon, and dropped a half dozen or so depth charges VERY nearby. The boat shook, the lights went out. Glass broke, pipes burst (the hull integrity dropped to 21%). The boat made it to 25 meters. An emergency crew went to work on the flooding in the forward crew quarters.

Then something peculiar happened. 40 meters. 50 meters! 60 METERS! The boat was sinking uncontrollably. Surface the boat. Seconds pass. 70 METERS! More breaking glass. Emergency surface! Blow the ballast! Sinking stops. Hull caves in the forward quarters. Implosion. U-653 lost with all hands, chronologically 5 days before my last career ended!

And just when I got to like my signature and AVTAR. I know Schulz, you liked the old one better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It was pretty good. But I like making new visages for my commanders. Oh well.

Schiffmorder
11-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Some questions... why in the world did you choose to stay below at night and then come up in the day?
When you realized you were sinking did you go to flank?
Do you use the real damage mod?

ILikePortillos
11-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Only reason I surfaced during the day is that I had just ended my mandatory patrol, and was hoping to make some time. I had been able to deal with the aircraft before. My strategy was to fire on them on their first pass. They rarely drop munitions when under fire. Then, after they passed, dive down while they're turning for another run. I just didn't realize the conditions were too bad to man the guns.

No, when I started sinking I stayed ahead at standard. I wasn't quite sure how moving faster would have worked or not. In retrospect, probably a pretty good idea. I was pretty frantic with 3 compartments flooding. I honestly didn't anticipate the uncontrolled sinking. If I'd have blown the ballast just 10 or 20 seconds earlier, the boat might have made it to the surface.

No, I don't use any damage mods. Just the regular.

Thanks for the good questions Schiff! I'll be sure to throw her into flank next time!