PDA

View Full Version : IL2DCG Spanish Civil War project

JastaV
01-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Everybody

After many weeks spent over SCW Il2DCG Grandcampaign, the project is entering the beta testing phase.

It's also time to dedicate some words of comment....

Why a SCW Campaign ???

The decision to develop a SCW campaign has been inspired by many factors.

-The challenge of developing an Il2DCG campaign dedicated to an operation front not yet explored...at least by a Il2DCG related add-on campaign.

-The desire to create a campaign for the Italian Air Force Service: Many Italian "Volunteers" took part to SCW.

-The availability at many Il2 dedicated sites of plenty of SCW plane Skins.

Although the interest for "minor fronts campaigns", forgotten by official Il2-PF, was not new for me - see for example my previous "China41-43" DCG campaing, "Operation Zipper" DCG Campaign, "Japan45-46 The Allid Invasion" DCG campaign, SCW Project is characterized by more innovative aspects.

-First of all SCW DCG campaign is my first World wide cooperative project.
I've been soon stunned by the enthusiastic support to the project, by many people that gave permission to the usage of SCW planes Skins they had already posted at many Il2 dedicated sites.
More, skilled skinners at TerceraEscuadrilla offered to create some new skins specifically for this project, and offered to collect already existing skins in a few packs so to simplify their usage.
Other TerceraEscuadrilla members supported SCW DGC project with historical informations, and greately helped me to chose proper Il2 Maps best matching SCW theaters of operations.

-Working over SCW DCG campaign arized new questions, and the need for peculiar issues not yet offerd by Il2DCG version allowable when I was taking first moves to the new project.
One time more, Paul Lowengrin, offered his time and efforts to introduce them in the next il2DCG versions.

-Although I'm in charge for SCW DCG campaigns templates and all other related DCG files editing, SCW project will be the result of the work of many people.

The Battle of Ebro

From mid July to late November 1938, the Ebro front was the main theater of operation in SCW.
It was a decisive, large battle, where the two sides comitted all allowable forces. Also air operations assumed a critical role.

The Battle of Ebro as DCG grandcampaign
According to Rojo, TerceraEscuadrilla member, Il2-PF NW_Europe map highly matchs the Ebro river valley, where the The Battle of Ebro took place.

Thanks to Map Soft Coding capability, recently introduced in Il2DCG by Paul, I could realize most templates and other DCG files managing units movement and on map locations all relative to Il2-PF NW_Europe map.
When the templates will be organized in a Grandcampaign users will have the feeling of a dynamically changing theater of operations, with new locations, and specific movement routes appearing in the different phases of the battle.
Bridges, quotes, outposts, ridges, fords, un-influent in the first phase of the battle, and so ignored by maps could became key locations later....and so appear in a new template map.
The evolution of the operative theater will be evidenced by the different Static objects placement, in any template, too.
To this innovative DCG feature, I dedicated many efforts and time: 8 different template & relative DCG routes files has been created over Il2-PF NW_Europe map.

Squadrons from more Nations took part to SCW: Nationalist and Republican Spanish, German Kondor Legion, Italian "Volunteer", Russian "Volunteers", Wester Democracy volunteer and mercenary pilots.

DCG SCW campaign will take care of that, and most Services will be allowable to the user choice.

DCG SCW project details

Thanks to Paul efforts over Il2DCG encoding, and the suggestions of many people DCG SCW campaign will pay great care to details.

-Radio Comms will be disabled for many squadrons.
It'd be strange to listen to a Babel of languages, missing the Spanish one, not suppported by Il2-PF!!!
Truly, only German Kondor Legion employed Radio equipped planes during SCW. That'll be in SCW DCg camapign, too.

-Planes parked at airfield will not be marked by nationality marks.
Il2-PF do not support Nationalist and Republican Spanish marks on planes surfaces.
It could be un-realistic to have parked planes marked with other services insignas.

-Flying planes of the different sides will have the proper Nationalist and Republican Spanish insignas, thanks to a rich third party Skins pool.
Different Squadrons equipped with the same plane type will employ different Skins. That as default,... no user need to manually modify skins.

-The Squadrons pilots roster will be composed by Spanish name pilots, may be including other Countries pilots, too.
Paul's working over a solution !!!!

-SCW Aces will take part to campaign: I've encoded a dozeen of ACE-pilots, completed with their own picture.

-Class.dcg, Armor.dcg. Allpayload.dcg files will be modified, when needed, to change planes and tanks operative service dates, to modify planes employement profiles and performances according to historical SCW true.

SCW Release Date

Il2DCG SCW campaign - official name: "SPAIN36-39" - should be released at the same time or immediately after Il2DCG3.23 release.

Unexpected troubles, delates in SKINs packages upload, any other occurence could force to postpone "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign.....

Anyway some criteria should be respected to have "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign posted:

1. A serious beta testing over the campaigns so to exclude most troubles.

2. The availability on the net of needed SCW Skins packs.

3. A downloadable Il2DCG version that will sutisfy to "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign features.

Special Thanks to:

Paul Lowengrin, Il2DCG developer

Rojo, SCW historical adviser and responsible for Skins packages collection

Aroman, Rojo, Negret, Tchaika, TheFly, Nenad Nevic, Joseph "canan" Bilton, SCW third party Skinners.

Thanks to:

TerceraEsquadrilla forum,

Il2Mania

for support.

Two SCW packs are available at the links:

http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Ite...ategory&filecatid=67 (http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=67)

different authors, Huge SCW package at Il2mania

---------------------------

http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Ite...tid=80&func=fileinfo (http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&filecatid=80&func=fileinfo)

by NEGRET, Gourgeous Fiat CR32 skins package at Il2Mania.

Most skins I'll encode to be used with "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign are included there.

You could try to get them since now.

JastaV

JastaV
01-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Everybody

After many weeks spent over SCW Il2DCG Grandcampaign, the project is entering the beta testing phase.

It's also time to dedicate some words of comment....

Why a SCW Campaign ???

The decision to develop a SCW campaign has been inspired by many factors.

-The challenge of developing an Il2DCG campaign dedicated to an operation front not yet explored...at least by a Il2DCG related add-on campaign.

-The desire to create a campaign for the Italian Air Force Service: Many Italian "Volunteers" took part to SCW.

-The availability at many Il2 dedicated sites of plenty of SCW plane Skins.

Although the interest for "minor fronts campaigns", forgotten by official Il2-PF, was not new for me - see for example my previous "China41-43" DCG campaing, "Operation Zipper" DCG Campaign, "Japan45-46 The Allid Invasion" DCG campaign, SCW Project is characterized by more innovative aspects.

-First of all SCW DCG campaign is my first World wide cooperative project.
I've been soon stunned by the enthusiastic support to the project, by many people that gave permission to the usage of SCW planes Skins they had already posted at many Il2 dedicated sites.
More, skilled skinners at TerceraEscuadrilla offered to create some new skins specifically for this project, and offered to collect already existing skins in a few packs so to simplify their usage.
Other TerceraEscuadrilla members supported SCW DGC project with historical informations, and greately helped me to chose proper Il2 Maps best matching SCW theaters of operations.

-Working over SCW DCG campaign arized new questions, and the need for peculiar issues not yet offerd by Il2DCG version allowable when I was taking first moves to the new project.
One time more, Paul Lowengrin, offered his time and efforts to introduce them in the next il2DCG versions.

-Although I'm in charge for SCW DCG campaigns templates and all other related DCG files editing, SCW project will be the result of the work of many people.

The Battle of Ebro

From mid July to late November 1938, the Ebro front was the main theater of operation in SCW.
It was a decisive, large battle, where the two sides comitted all allowable forces. Also air operations assumed a critical role.

The Battle of Ebro as DCG grandcampaign
According to Rojo, TerceraEscuadrilla member, Il2-PF NW_Europe map highly matchs the Ebro river valley, where the The Battle of Ebro took place.

Thanks to Map Soft Coding capability, recently introduced in Il2DCG by Paul, I could realize most templates and other DCG files managing units movement and on map locations all relative to Il2-PF NW_Europe map.
When the templates will be organized in a Grandcampaign users will have the feeling of a dynamically changing theater of operations, with new locations, and specific movement routes appearing in the different phases of the battle.
Bridges, quotes, outposts, ridges, fords, un-influent in the first phase of the battle, and so ignored by maps could became key locations later....and so appear in a new template map.
The evolution of the operative theater will be evidenced by the different Static objects placement, in any template, too.
To this innovative DCG feature, I dedicated many efforts and time: 8 different template & relative DCG routes files has been created over Il2-PF NW_Europe map.

Squadrons from more Nations took part to SCW: Nationalist and Republican Spanish, German Kondor Legion, Italian "Volunteer", Russian "Volunteers", Wester Democracy volunteer and mercenary pilots.

DCG SCW campaign will take care of that, and most Services will be allowable to the user choice.

DCG SCW project details

Thanks to Paul efforts over Il2DCG encoding, and the suggestions of many people DCG SCW campaign will pay great care to details.

-Radio Comms will be disabled for many squadrons.
It'd be strange to listen to a Babel of languages, missing the Spanish one, not suppported by Il2-PF!!!
Truly, only German Kondor Legion employed Radio equipped planes during SCW. That'll be in SCW DCg camapign, too.

-Planes parked at airfield will not be marked by nationality marks.
Il2-PF do not support Nationalist and Republican Spanish marks on planes surfaces.
It could be un-realistic to have parked planes marked with other services insignas.

-Flying planes of the different sides will have the proper Nationalist and Republican Spanish insignas, thanks to a rich third party Skins pool.
Different Squadrons equipped with the same plane type will employ different Skins. That as default,... no user need to manually modify skins.

-The Squadrons pilots roster will be composed by Spanish name pilots, may be including other Countries pilots, too.
Paul's working over a solution !!!!

-SCW Aces will take part to campaign: I've encoded a dozeen of ACE-pilots, completed with their own picture.

-Class.dcg, Armor.dcg. Allpayload.dcg files will be modified, when needed, to change planes and tanks operative service dates, to modify planes employement profiles and performances according to historical SCW true.

SCW Release Date

Il2DCG SCW campaign - official name: "SPAIN36-39" - should be released at the same time or immediately after Il2DCG3.23 release.

Unexpected troubles, delates in SKINs packages upload, any other occurence could force to postpone "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign.....

Anyway some criteria should be respected to have "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign posted:

1. A serious beta testing over the campaigns so to exclude most troubles.

2. The availability on the net of needed SCW Skins packs.

3. A downloadable Il2DCG version that will sutisfy to "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign features.

Special Thanks to:

Paul Lowengrin, Il2DCG developer

Rojo, SCW historical adviser and responsible for Skins packages collection

Aroman, Rojo, Negret, Tchaika, TheFly, Nenad Nevic, Joseph "canan" Bilton, SCW third party Skinners.

Thanks to:

TerceraEsquadrilla forum,

Il2Mania

for support.

Two SCW packs are available at the links:

http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Ite...ategory&filecatid=67 (http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=67)

different authors, Huge SCW package at Il2mania

---------------------------

http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Ite...tid=80&func=fileinfo (http://il2mania.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&filecatid=80&func=fileinfo)

by NEGRET, Gourgeous Fiat CR32 skins package at Il2Mania.

Most skins I'll encode to be used with "SPAIN36-39" DCG Grandcampaign are included there.

You could try to get them since now.

JastaV

Col._King
01-19-2006, 08:15 AM
~S~

Jasta V, this is really great to know.
Please can you clarify one doubt? Your Campaign is named Spain 36-39. This mean that it would cover the whole SCW timeline? Or it will be limited to only few battles, like the one for the Ebro River?
More or less, how many missions can we expect to fly?
Will be the Campaign historically accurate, (due to the limits of FB sim)?

I apologize for all those questions, but I´m really interested in the Spanish Civil War, expecially about the air side of the tale.

Thank you in advance!

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I can`t speak directly for jastav, but being a DCG based add-on, it`s highly likely to allow as many missions as you want with the possibility of either side winning the civil war.

DmdSeeker
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Will this run on a standard install; without DCG??

jds1978
01-19-2006, 01:25 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jds1978
01-20-2006, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DmdSeeker Posted Thu January 19 2006 11:28
Will this run on a standard install; without DCG?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i might be wrong but probably not.....do yourself a favor and get DCG...it's the only way to do offline campaign...you won't be sorry

JastaV
01-20-2006, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Col._King:
~S~

Jasta V, this is really great to know.
Please can you clarify one doubt? Your Campaign is named Spain 36-39. This mean that it would cover the whole SCW timeline? Or it will be limited to only few battles, like the one for the Ebro River?
More or less, how many missions can we expect to fly?
Will be the Campaign historically accurate, (due to the limits of FB sim)?

I apologize for all those questions, but I´m really interested in the Spanish Civil War, expecially about the air side of the tale.

Thank you in advance! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Battel of Ebro will be matter for first version of SCW project....As regard further developments it's too early to consider them !!!

Battle of Ebro Campagns will cover a period from mid July to late Novenmer 1938...with a mission per day..It's not difficult to estimae missions number.

I tried to realize an accurate simulation of battle of Ebro, within the limits of Il2PF, il2DCG, the accuracy of informations I collected,.....but remember that DCG support fully dynamic campaigns

JastaV

JastaV
01-20-2006, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I can`t speak directly for jastav, but being a DCG based add-on, it`s highly likely to allow as many missions as you want with the possibility of either side winning the civil war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT EXACTELY !!!!!

Only a mission per DAY !!!!!

SCW project will recreate, as possible, an historical accurate simulation of SCW....
Paul Lowengrin is also trying to modify DCG.exe code to allow historical accurate timelines....
Anyway is a dynamic simulation where player actions and a plenty of random factor can influence events outcame.

JastaV

JastaV
01-20-2006, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:

IT WILL BE A FREE IL2-DCG ADD-ON !!!!!

JASTAV

JastaV
01-20-2006, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jds1978:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DmdSeeker Posted Thu January 19 2006 11:28

i might be wrong but probably not.....do yourself a favor and get DCG...it's the only way to do offline campaign...you won't be sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT ONLY OFF-LINE CAMPAIGNS.....

MANY USERS ARE ENTHESIASTIC WITH DCG ON-LINE CAMPAIGNS, TOO

JastaV

JastaV
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Here some links....

http://forums.jg1.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497

http://www.terceraescuadrilla.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=1792

There you can find detailed, updated informations about the project and its future developments.

JastaV

DuxCorvan
01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Good idea, although it's really a pity we don't have any of the true aircraft in the game. (All the types in FB/PF are later ones).

To have radio-comms disabled is a good idea, although it's not true that only Legion Kondor used them: Republican Grumman G-23s "Delf*n" -export versions of the FF-1- were fitted with excellent radio equipment and the crews made good use of them in coordinated close support tasks.

Anyway, it's true that radio equipment was usually rare.