PDA

View Full Version : I thought id sunk it!!

Captain-Pugwash
08-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Greetings fellow seafarers,got a question for you ,im on patrol at night on the surface doing could speed all is well.I sight a ship and close on it .Its a lone cargo ship flying the royal ensign so i engage with deck gun ,after a while it starts to burn and stops dead in the water.I turn my boat away from it and give it 2 fish from my stern tubes ,2 plumes of water tell me i got 2 good hits i go back and see its low in the water obviously floundering and starting to go down.I deceide to leave it as its doomed and i continue on my course to the grid square given to me by B.D.U .After an hour of gameplay i deceide to save the game which i do sucessfully but no sunk ship is registered .I have played the game since and am 2 or 3 past the date i hit the cargo ship and saved the game since still no kill .Will my kills be registered at mission end or should i have stayed in the vincinity of the ship to watch it sink for it to regeister

Captain-Pugwash

Captain-Pugwash
08-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Oh btw im running with The Grey wolves mod

Goose_Green
08-03-2006, 04:13 AM
I see you are plaing with GW. The damage model is a tougher nut to crack than stock or the IUB mod. The damage model is based on the NYGM damage model, basically ships sinking times can vary, a ship class such as a Coastal Merchant may need 1 torpedo some of the time, but on other occasions you may need to throw 2 to 3 torpedoes to sink it, and even then it could take a long time for them to sink. The mod is basically trying to add an element of random chance.

Usually, you need to be in the vicinity of the ship to record it being sunk, when it does! In real life commanders would radio any sinkings and damaged ships during the patrol to BDU. It is not unknown for a ship to be hit and survive only to be sunk days later by another U Boat commander - this is where over claims come from, not unlike fighter pilots that have always grossly over claimed their kills, none more so than the Battle of Britain, and by both sides!

Captain-Pugwash
08-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Ok Goose thanks for reply ill hang around any ship i hit next time as long im not being depth charged to oblivion and wait for it to sink

Captain-Pugwash

hueywolf123
08-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Cap'n Pug,
A small merchant after being hit by a fish (depending upon where it hits) will usually sink after several deck-gun hits. I usually sit at peri' depth till the target is dead in front at 1000 - 1500m, launch a fish & wait. Upon impact, I then surface if the weather is good and bring out the gun crew to do their thing. A good gun crew is worth it's weight in gold. When you get back into port (assuming you are in career mode) assign one of your PO's or your watch officer with the gunnery qualification. The more qualified - the more accuracy. Good luck Kaluen Pugwash

lecek
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
If you pass beyond 35km of a ship and it hasn't yet sunk, then it is too late.

What will happen is at that point the game starts generalizing the ship instead of keeping track of full detail. Once of the things that it no longer keeps track of is damage. All ships out past that point will suddenly become fully repaired and continue on their way.

Captain-Pugwash
08-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Thanks chaps loads of good tips there .One other thing ,im interested in this commanders mod thingy but dont know much about it so im gonna try to find some posts about it

Captain-Pugwash

Shahed_Kazi
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Hit a Large Cargo (GW1.1) with 2, waited 2 days. It was dead in the water and went down to the deck level but did not sink. While I was waiting there just beyond the horizon, I got a contact coming in from the north. Turned out to be a Medium tanker. Sunk that with 2 and went back at least 10 hours later, the other cargo was still there exactly the same spot same dmagae (i did'nt stray more than 20 kms from it IIRC). I then out another torp in and it finally sank.