PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane after the patch

Hoenire
11-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but...

In the Hurricane Mk1 it is no longer possible to select supercharger stages 1 and 2. Instead there is a 120% mixture setting. Is this correct/a bug/something else?

Hoenire
11-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but...

In the Hurricane Mk1 it is no longer possible to select supercharger stages 1 and 2. Instead there is a 120% mixture setting. Is this correct/a bug/something else?

S 8
11-25-2004, 02:30 PM
I´m not an expert in this but googleing about it I found this though:My conclusion:It´s right,right?
As piston engines get higher, they lose power because the air gets thinner. What is needed is a fan to suck more air into the engine and improve combustion, just like bellows in a furnace. Such a device is called a supercharger. It was the introduction of a more powerful two-stage supercharger to the Merlin that produced the leap in performance of the Mark VIII and IX Spitfires.
1030 hp Rolls Royce Merlin MK II engine flyby sound.
http://www.bcam.net/engines/merlin.htm

k5054
11-25-2004, 04:57 PM
You don't select a second stage, but a second speed. In a Mk2 hurricane with the merlin XX. In a MK1 there is only one speed.

Hoenire
11-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Perhaps I was not clear. Pre-patch I could select stage 1 and stage 2 supercharger but not mixture. Now I can switch from 100% mixture to 120%, but I cannot switch between supercharger stages/speeds/or whatever you want to call them.

Is this by design?

triggerhappyfin
11-26-2004, 03:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoenire:
Perhaps I was not clear. Pre-patch I could select stage 1 and stage 2 supercharger but not mixture. Now I can switch from 100% mixture to 120%, but I cannot switch between supercharger stages/speeds/or whatever you want to call them.

Is this by design? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps it was a pre-patch bug? According to the answers above.

Kwiatos
11-26-2004, 03:45 AM
Hurricane I dont have 2 stage supercharger - so these is correct. Hurrciane MK II with Merlin XX have 2-stage supercharger. As i remember these was correct moddeled in FB.

AWL_Spinner
11-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Something else I've noticed that I've never seen before. Maybe this was in before PF came out, maybe not.

I'd played all the way through Extreme_One/Poymando's Battle over Britain campaign with the Hurri and only dropped the mixture to 80% when I switched supercharger stages at 10,000ft. No problem.

On Birdbrain's "The Blue" campaign I have noticed that if I don't lower the mixure soon after take off, presumably because of the air temperature in North Africa, I get black smoke billowing out of the exhaust stacks of my Merlin.

I THINK this is realistic(ish) behaviour - this caught me out a couple of times, wondering why my engine was running rough/stopping without obvious damage or overheat until I took a look at the externals.

I'm running with the HUD off so am relying on my instruments and this is a hard one to catch.

I like it, can anyone confirm it's new?

Cheers, Spinner

bird_brain
11-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I know the engine overheat on the Hurricane has been toned down somewhat since the 2.01 patch. I think they adjusted for 2.04. I originally had to turn "Engine Overheat" off on the Desert/MT map just to keep up with the flight because it did not apply to AI aircraft or even when you were on autopilot. I don't turn it off anymore and usually only get an overheat running at low altitude at full power.

Hoenire
11-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Spinner I noticed the same thing over about 1500ft. I have no idea what performance gain you get under that height.