PDA

View Full Version : Good books about WWII aircraft

napalm747
01-08-2005, 02:52 AM
I am looking for a comprehensive book on WWII aircraft. I want a book that has great illustrations/pictures and detailed information on the aircraft. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

napalm747
01-08-2005, 02:52 AM
I am looking for a comprehensive book on WWII aircraft. I want a book that has great illustrations/pictures and detailed information on the aircraft. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

ZappaTime
01-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Just the other day, I looked in the cheap bookstore sale (Bookworld)in Sheffield UK (Meadowhall Centre) and bought 'The Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII' (published by Silverdale Books 2004 ISBN 1-84509-013-6 from www.amberbooks.co.uk (http://www.amberbooks.co.uk)). This is a hardback, slightly wider than A4, about 512 pages.

It covers alphabetically 50 manufacturers with detailed history of model development, pictures of all known variants (unusual this, in my opinion), extensive details of weapons carried by most aircraft, 3 view colour drawings and accounts of important raids any bomber classes undertook. This book was marked at 40, I got it for 12, but this is no cheap rubbish, I have a few similar books on Luftwaffe, RAF and the like, but this excels on the detail particularly regarding variants and development. As the title would suggest, it covers all aircarft featured in Il2+AEP+PF. Picture quality is far better than Janes Aircraft of WW2, I can't recommend it enough.
Z