PDA

View Full Version : Topmast bombing

KrasniyYastreb
07-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I have just been practising topmast bombing in the Il-2, attacking some destroyers, and I have noticed that 100kg bombs used in this manner seem completely ineffective. 250kg seem work beutifully, but the 100s seem to have no effect. I can clearly seem them hitting the side of the ship, and all they produce are a few waterspouts.

Is it possible to sink a ship with 100kg bombs in this game using the topmast method? I have read that during the war modified 100kg bombs were used.

On a side note: Speeding at 15m above the water towards a ship blasting away at you is a mildly intense experience on a 17-in screen. My salute to the men who had to fly those missions regularly!

KrasniyYastreb
07-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I have just been practising topmast bombing in the Il-2, attacking some destroyers, and I have noticed that 100kg bombs used in this manner seem completely ineffective. 250kg seem work beutifully, but the 100s seem to have no effect. I can clearly seem them hitting the side of the ship, and all they produce are a few waterspouts.

Is it possible to sink a ship with 100kg bombs in this game using the topmast method? I have read that during the war modified 100kg bombs were used.

On a side note: Speeding at 15m above the water towards a ship blasting away at you is a mildly intense experience on a 17-in screen. My salute to the men who had to fly those missions regularly!

Art-J
07-06-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm sure it is possible, but You need A LOT of 100kg bombs (unlimited ammo? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )to sink a descent size merchant ship, yet warship alone! (although I don't know if warships in this game have port armour modelled?). But it's OK for me. I've never read about B-25 pilots skip-bombing Japanese ships with anything less than 500 pounders, and this is exactly what I have to do in the game.
You're right - it's amazing experience!