PDA

View Full Version : some questions on how to bomb

WildeSau
12-06-2004, 06:40 AM
I have some questions on how to bomb.

Yes, I have read the tutorial He-111 bombing guide - but I am a little bit stupid, so I need some more advise.

First, they talk about an auto-stabilization function. How can I access it?

For what is BombSight Automation key used?

I never see the bomb sight when pressing Shift F1. What's the reason?

Thanks.

Michael the WildeSau

WildeSau
12-06-2004, 06:40 AM
I have some questions on how to bomb.

Yes, I have read the tutorial He-111 bombing guide - but I am a little bit stupid, so I need some more advise.

Thanks.

Michael the WildeSau

Greenwidth
12-06-2004, 01:44 PM

I can't remember if there is a default key set or not, but you can set it in "controls"

It auto releases the bombs at the right moment for them to hit the target, using the information you put into it (Speed/Altitude).

The bomb sight is disabled for a while if you make anything more than a gentle turn, depending on how harsh the movement, this can last for some time.

deckchair5
12-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Some things aren't well explained for bombing in the HE111 so here's some help
In answer to your questions
<First, they talk about an auto-stabilization function. How can I access it?>
You'll need to bind a key in the controls options. I did Shift +A. this will hold the plane level and steady speed but you must still input direction course when in the bomber station

This is for when you have the cross hairs and the bombsight totally set up for speed and altitude etc and you tell the ccomputer "OK that's as much as I can do now hit the target!" You can turn it off again momentarily if the c ross hairs go off target (as they do) re align then activate again the bombsight computer

Yes Shift + F1 doesn't do it for me either. It's "gunsight toggle" you need to find in the controls options and bind a key to it.

THE PLAN
Study the map up close so you know where the target is in relation to the landscape
Set up a long way out your speed and altitude, trim the aircraft as best you can
Hit level Autopilot
Go to bomber station, input speed and altitude (remember it's got to be true ground speed) altitiude will be your altitude unless target is at significant altitude itself
Hit "gunsight toggle" to go to bombsight scope
move sight up to see ahead with "increase sight distance" and use aileron for coarse aircraft direction adjustment and aileron trim for fine course adjustment
Once you have the correct course and the target in the vertical cross hair then you are on the money
Now alter the sight with the "increase/ or decrease sight adjustment" so the horizontal cross hair lines up with the target
NOW you can hit bombsight automation if you wish and you're now telling the computer to take over and "bomb that!"

Invariably the target will shift off though so you need to take off the bombsight computer, realign then turn it on again. Keep doing that until you're as happy as you can be. If you're way off or too late then go around again. Massive course corrections at the last moment won't do the job, the bombsight computer needs time to settle

You must do very gentle course corrections as the bombsight will go "Off" for a few valuable seconds if you bank too much

As it's just practise it's a great idea to set up a bombing practise mission in the full mission builder. Set yourself up already flying at 1500m 5 mins away from a target and just practise ,practise

Once you get it, it's a BLAST!

Hope I haven't forgotten anything and sorry for the waste of bandwidth for those that already know

KG26_Alpha
12-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi
Have a look at our web site in the bombing tutorial section you need Internet Explorer to view the slideshow correctly as Mozilla Firefox will not display correctly.

Have fun

xylem_1
12-06-2004, 07:18 PM
What bombing tutorial are you talking about? I couldn't find anything in PF about it, and I could use the help.

KG26_Alpha
12-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Look in He111 prefight at our web site link below, it applies to the B25 bomsite also but remember the B25 uses mph for callibrating as opposed to kph in the He111's
Theres also a skip bombing mission and training trk for download in the mission section.
Trk show skip bombing in a B25

xylem_1
12-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Ummm, thanks Alpha. But I have only Pacific Fighters, so will these work for me?

Also your site claims that my "security settings are too high" to download any files. Never got that message before. What else comes with the file?

Do you know of any training missions for PF, other than the ones that came with the sim (which are mostly carrier take off and landing)?

KG26_Alpha
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Well the missions no good to you then its a merged instal mission for IL2FB+AEP+PF.

But the bombsite help will get your bombsite controls set up in PF alls the same except for the IAS is in MPH not KPH so you need a conversion for TAS the site has 2 needles showing ground speed and airspeed to work out you bombing solution.

Check the mission builder forum for PF missions but make sure thier not the stand alone version you have.
S!

xylem_1
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Ok, thanks.

Copperhead310th
12-08-2004, 01:49 AM
We have a Airspeed Convertion chart for the B-25's. on our web site. We started with the 111's
untill we got our b-25's. Here's the link:

310th FS & 380th Bg Downloads page (http://www.310thvfs.com/downloads.php)

Our 380th BG guys use this all the time with some success. Enjoy.

Sly401RCAF
12-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Deckchair I would suggest that there is a far easier way of lining up your bomb-sight.

My method
Set up a long way out & check your track on the map...
get your aircraft cruising at bombing altitude / speed
Preset bomb site Alt, Velocity, and Inclination (view angle)... need to set keys to these in controls
I usually input 3000m Alt, 390 Kph, and 82 degrees..... ball park figures for my normal bombing run

Hit "Level Stabiliser"
Move to front gunner position (default "C" key)
Bring up the bomb sight (default Shift+F1)
While still in bombsight keep bringin up your map to check track/course.

Adjust course using rudder trim remembering to bring back to centre (need keys set to these)
If you are on track the target will come into view in the bombsight.

As the target reaches the horizontal crossbar of the sight, hit bombsight auto engage (dont worry about your left/ right alignment.
With the target locked approximately into your sight you can now use rudder trim to align your track (remember to centre trim after adjustments)

Check your altitude and adjust the sight accordingly
In the sight you will prolly see that the crosshairs are no longer centered over the target.. If it looks like you are gonna drop too early (ie before the target) slow down the sight velocity, the crosshairs will move up towards the target when on centre speed up the sight to hold it over the centre.... Vica versa if you dropping too late speed the sight up then slow to hold over target...

Sorta fly the sight onto the target using rudder trim for left / right and sight velocity for forwards / backwards adjustments...

If your Altitude is correct you can drop it down a chimney stack just like the gulf war.

This tecnique is especially usefull for moving targets ie carriers.. just remember that it prolly takes 15 seconds or so for the bombs to fall fom 3000m and in that time a carrier may well have moved a ships length so aim accordingly..

Works for me hope it helps others

Sly