PDA

View Full Version : Where are the sales figures for AC2 for PC?

thegreatsquare
04-29-2010, 02:35 AM
*Would love a link to be provided on this*

What I want to know is where are all the awesome sales figures for Assassins Creed 2? I mean if nobody was able to crack the game for ~2 months and every download = a lost sale, then that must mean that AC2 had to of had at least a week or two in the top 10... right?

...top 20?

Did AC2 even sell as good as the first?

If DRM is supposed to stop pirating and increase sales, where are the sales numbers to back that up?

I've seen nothing and I'm pretty sure if Ubi's DRM was really successful in increasing sales then Ubisoft would of made sure that everyone knows about it in every gaming magazine and every major gaming website on the planet.

...but there is nothing.

A DRM that discourages [or outright kills] sales misses the point of a DRM.

**And while we're at it, anyone got links to sales numbers on The Settlers, or other games with this DRM?

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 03:33 AM
It's not Ubi's fault that people blew this DRM thing way out of proportions. Add to that the fact that the ignorant masses jump on the loudest bandwagon that comes by and you got yourself a classbook case of herd behaviour.

thegreatsquare
04-29-2010, 04:07 AM
I don't think it is "blown out of proportion". I have a nice new ASUS G73 laptop that I bring to work to game on and all the new Ubisoft games are useless to me.

Even though it is now cracked, I won't pirate it or support Ubi and it's DRM by buying it, but then crack it.

I did end up buying a used console copy so that I could play the game without letting Ubi profit off of me from such a draconian DRM.

My idea for a DRM.

Ubisoft needs a better system. Hell, even if they just tied the game install to the OS key of the machine during the install's online activation and then had an offline mode that required an online verification within the last 24-48hrs... I could work with that as I could take care of that when I'm home.

I want to be a legal purchaser of Ubisoft games [again] and I will be as soon as they start using a fairer DRM.

Could such a DRM be cracked? Sure, but so was AC2's.

I don't mind disc checks [that work].
I don't mind online activation.
I don't mind occasional renewed verifications of said activations.
I just can't do without an off-line mode.

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm not doubting you had problems with the DRM and I can understand how it's a pain for you, but I'm willing to bet 75% of the people that didn't buy the game because of its DRM, would have had no problems at all.

Gekkibi
04-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
...I'm willing to bet 75% of the people that didn't buy the game because of its DRM, would have had no problems at all.

I don't protest against DRM because it is not working for me (Have had couple of angry moments, but thats it). I'm willing to bet 75% of the people that didn't buy the game because of its DRM did so because they don't like the fact it still requires constant internet connection, and thus alienating some of the customers.

[edit: I think a better comparison is needed?]

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Yes, let's compare a comuter game's DRM to rape. That's valid.

But fine, I'll play along. [edit] If this DRM doesn't affect you now, it never will.

Gekkibi
04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
[edit: I think a better comparison is needed?]

And back to topic: Ya, I would love to see 'em...

Mr_Shade
04-29-2010, 05:36 AM
If you are going to compare the OSP to anything - I think a better example is needed...

Remember this is a E rated forum..

Gekkibi
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Now I am forced to go back to off-topic.

Billy is a bully. He stole a candybar from Cindy. Your name is Thomas. You still have a candybar.

Did this theft affect you? No.
Can you still protest against this kind of behavior? --- Not even going to answer to this one because it is self-evident.

Lets hope this wasn't shocking enough for mainstream ubisoft-players. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

thegreatsquare
04-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:
If you are going to compare the OSP to anything - I think a better example is needed...

Remember this is a E rated forum..

The game is called Assassins Creed and is Rated M in the US.

Does anyone else experience a case of Cognitive Dissonance here?

Also, El_Sjietah seems to have misread my post as I never picked up AC2 for PC and so didn't personally experience an issue with it... except maybe in that I am aware that I can't buy any such game with an always online DRM because I do game on my laptop away from home 15-20hrs a week.

I did buy a used copy of AC2 for the 360 and will buy a used console version for any other Ubisoft game until Ubi enables some sort of offline-mode for their PC games. If they do, I'll buy their games in a way that they actually see some money from me for it, just as I had previously over two dozen times before.

Now if you want an analogy that is "E" rated":

Ubisoft is the candy seller and they are trying to prevent theft of their candy by making sure that no candy leaves the store... even the candy they sold. Right now you can buy the candy and you can come by and visit the candy most of the time, but you are not actually allowed to have the candy even if you paid for it. This used to effect both those who would try to steal the candy and those who bought the candy. It now only effects those who paid for the candy. [...or those honest enough not to steal the candy]

BTOG46
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by thegreatsquare:
The game is called Assassins Creed and is Rated M in the US.

Does anyone else experience a case of Cognitive Dissonance here?

Irrespective of the rating of any of Ubisoft's games, ALL of the Ubisoft game forums are "E" rated, as anyone, of any age, can view them, whether they are a member or not. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Murcuseo
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Hes got a chip on his shoulder, just ignore him and he'll go away

thegreatsquare
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BTOG46:

Irrespective of the rating of any of Ubisoft's games, ALL of the Ubisoft game forums are "E" rated, as anyone, of any age, can view them, whether they are a member or not. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

It was just an observation, nothing more.

So, to get back on topic, where are those sales numbers?

pablocoo
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
They know EXACLY how many people bought the game by checking amount of legit accounts with (wih cd-key), so why don't they give numbers?

TheLeoCrow
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
The sales don't really matter. They will obviusly blame them on the financial crisis, not on the drm. And ofc they will blame those who were "attacking" the servers for creating negative publicity.

Originally posted by thegreatsquare:
Ubisoft is the candy seller and they are trying to prevent theft of their candy by making sure that no candy leaves the store... even the candy they sold. Right now you can buy the candy and you can come by and visit the candy most of the time, but you are not actually allowed to have the candy even if you paid for it. This used to effect both those who would try to steal the candy and those who bought the candy. It now only effects those who paid for the candy. [...or those honest enough not to steal the candy]
Your analogy would be more accurate if they had the game run on the servers and we were playing it remotelly. That way, the only things that would be in the disk we buy would be the launcher of the game, the rest would work remotelly. That's the next step to this drm

JohnConnor2012
04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Could people stop going on about the candy theft? It is extremely distressing to me, but especially traumatic to younger forum members.

Analogies involving murder are fine though.

El_Sjietah
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Don't worry, John. I'm here now. They won't take your candy anymore.

/hug

Razrback16
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
I'm not doubting you had problems with the DRM and I can understand how it's a pain for you, but I'm willing to bet 75% of the people that didn't buy the game because of its DRM, would have had no problems at all.

You're missing the point. The point isn't whether you run into issues or not, it's the limiting factor of knowing that if your cable modem goes down, or their servers go down, your rights are taken away. Period. There is no debating that point. I bought the game legit through Amazon for $22. It's an awesome game. I would've been willing to pay $60 retail for it but because of the DRM, I felt the game was only worth 1/3 of the retail price because of the DRM, that way when (not if) I run into problems, I can say -- well I only payed bargain bin price for it, so no biggie. Many people have gone this route. If AC3 is released with this DRM, I will do the same, along with any other game -- I own *ONLY* legit copies of all of my games, but when they release with this ridiculous DRM, it devalues the item. I'll wait till it drops to 1/3 or 1/5 even on some games depending on how bad the DRM is (limited activations, etc.) before purchasing. Glad I waited. I now feel ok owning the product.

Razrback16
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah: If this DRM doesn't affect you now, it never will.

Probably the most ignorant post I've seen. Clearly you have zero understanding of how this DRM works.

SunriseDriver
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
So what's with AC II PC sales, Ubi?

KZarr
05-02-2010, 12:52 PM
It was on Steams top 10 sales for two weeks. But you'll have to wait for the yearly fiscal report to find out the exact numbers.

BrianHanna
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
i doubt we will know, but it couldnt have sold better than the first game, if it did, the recent crack of the drm could have increased sales. Because for some reason, people abandon their boycott when a crack is released.

JohnConnor2012
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
KZarr's right: sales (relative to AC1 even) will be stated in the annual report. Whenever that's due...

PB0_shadow
05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by JohnConnor2012:
KZarr's right: sales (relative to AC1 even) will be stated in the annual report. Whenever that's due...

You'll probably get that, but not split by platform for any game.

Anyway, annual report will include only a month or so of AC 2 PC sales, since Fiscal year ends in March for Ubisoft.

And that full annual report will take some months to come out (results & comments should be published mid may)

JohnConnor2012
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
You have access to these? Might be interesting to post a link here, when available.

Malinchak
05-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Isn't it nice to click an icon on your desktop and in 2 seconds you can play the game, without watching video's, smashing the hell out of your Enter/Space-key on your keyboard or pressing A/Start on your console or trying to get past the 10 launchers that verify your game.

I don't have AC2, I don't even play games on my computer anymore (apart from World of Warcraft occasionally) just because of things like that.
On a console you can at least head to the kitchen for some snacks while the game loads to the menu.

The fact I need an internet connection to play a single-player game is also ridiculous.

El_Sjietah
05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Buy some patience.

caswallawn_2k7
05-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Anyway, annual report will include only a month or so of AC 2 PC sales, since Fiscal year ends in March for Ubisoft.
this years has already been released so you wont get any number until next year.

JohnConnor2012
05-08-2010, 04:04 AM
"play World of Warcraft" ... "occassionally". Hard to believe: all or nothing, surely?

Malinchak
05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by JohnConnor2012:
"play World of Warcraft" ... "occassionally". Hard to believe: all or nothing, surely?
"Last Updated: 02 May 2010" a.k.a. last time I logged on says enough I hope.

JohnConnor2012
05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
!! You should give therapy.