PDA

View Full Version : KABOOM! You have landed on The Flightdeck!

Flydutch
12-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Several WWII Veterans who flew Carriers based A/C, State that At A sucsessfull arested landing the A/C slammed onto the Flight deck with tremendous force (Can you Imagine the Gravity weight of A Aircraft doing 150kmh pulled from the air by a cable!?)
It sounded something Like: "KABOOM!"

(I also think the tires would certainly say "Shreek" at such tremendous force)

At the moment there seems not to be no sound at these actions.

Rageman
12-23-2004, 07:12 AM
I certainly have no problems with getting the plane to go kaboom when hitting the flight deck... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
My dad was a Naval Aviator during WWII and Korea. He said that it wasn't until just about the beginning of WWII that the Navy started making shoulder harness required equipment! He said you could always identify a dive bomber pilot by the scars on his forehead from hitting the bomb sight during carrier landings! LOL (he was probably referring to hitting the barrier)

Although the arrested landings could sometimes be rough, he said that the hydraulic catapult shots were really hard on the back. They were also kind of tough on the vestibular system as well. He said that a night cat shot was absolutely the most terrifying thing he's ever done.....and he's fearless! LOL! The problem was, it was always pitch black out, and all of the sudden you went from zero to 120 Kts in about a second or two. It left your personal gyros really tumbled, so you needed to be right on top of your instruments to stay out of the drink!......and then there was always that slim chance of a cold shot, or engine failure so that you just dribbled off the bow, into the path of a 70,000 ton(?) ship doing about 25-30 kts! hehe Lots of things to think about in that last few minutes as they were hooking up the bridle.

SKULLS_Exec01
12-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Interesting stuff guys - and cool story Razor.
You guys seen this http://ussessex.bravepages.com/hurricane.html
Talk about hard landings...

Bussard_1
12-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Gents,
Saw a post on another IL2 forum addressing the install of PF in which the guy got an error message which indicated that the game was looking for a sound file,...the carrier landing sound file, the error message named the sound file,so this talented individual created a sound file(wild crowd applause,I think he used)which would indicate a successful trap.Too cool.
I fly PF with a Cougar & TM RCS and quite frankly I get bugger all feed back as to whether I've got the wire until I stop.Did a few traps on a friends 'puter which is equipped with a force feed back...wow!
So to help you slobs who like me are un-FF, drop a sound sample called tow_01.wav (I used Falcon 4's touch down sound) into C:\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\samples and enjoy.
How do I post a file within a message, anyone?
No sound,swim! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Bussard.

Flydutch
12-24-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm just reading A book by A Expirienced pilot who Flew During WWII in Dutch New Gunea and Pre War On the Dutch Carrier "Karel Doorman" in Hawker Seafury's
He Discribed That on A Catapult take off The Deck Officer would Signal to the Pilot to Rev Up the engine (when the A/C was Attached) The Pilot would Open the throttle to fullspeed, then remove his hand from the throtle ( In order not to slam it shut on launch!) Put his head against the padded head rest then give A thumbs up to signal he was ready to launch.
One time He saw A squadron mate Beeing launched when the safety ring broke prematurly (the Cat wasn't fully tensioned jet) So he was launched In front of the Carriers bow wich run over him (You can't stop such A massa Doing top speed!) The Witness checked his watched and run to the Fantail (Stern)after 2 and a half minutes the ditched pilot surfaced in the wake of the Carrier!.
The Author explained that they where trained over and over in a swimming pool to wait escaping the cockpit untill the carrier run over them and surface only when clear from its mighty screws.
The Pilot involved hapend to be stuck with one foot hence he was realy clear ofthe Carrier when surfacing!

He Also discribes that the moment you touched down the most scary seconds was wheter you did catch A Wire or not!

The Downwind leg would be flown on the Port side past the Carriers Island With Flaps, gear and Hook lowered wich would be checked and confirmed by the Bridge Tower Controll before giving you landing clearance

A other Dutch pilot fliyng Hellcats from Brithish Carriers during WWII discribed that in A rough sea he saw A Pilot over shoot becuase the flight deck pitched downwards so much that the he missed all cables and ended up in the Barrier!
(Savety Barrier Also seriously missing from this sim, just like static parked Aircraft to crash into, now you can easily touch and go wich takes away the excitment on deciding wheter to land or wave off!!)
A USN Hellcat pilot discribed that during Combat mission at night they would orientate on the blue exhaust flame of the A/C that took off before them ( No Navigations light During Combat like A.I. A/C do in this sim!)

IV_JG51_Razor
12-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Great stuff FlyDutch! I heard a similar story about an A4 Skyhawk pilot who went into the drink right in front of the carrier. He waited until everything went dark from the carrier blotting out the sun, and then began to get light again. When he tried to open the canopy, it wouldn't budge from the water pressure! All the while the plane is sinking deeper and deeper! He finally "ejected" and was able to surface!

Bussard, I can't find a sound sample labled tow_01.wav in the samples folder. Are you saying that when you get a successful trap, the game will know to take this file instead of the one that is in the game already?

x6BL_Brando
12-24-2004, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bussard, I can't find a sound sample labled tow_01.wav in the samples folder. Are you saying that when you get a successful trap, the game will know to take this file instead of the one that is in the game already? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Razor,

I think he means you to find/create a sound clip (of your choice) and name it tow_01.wav, then put it in your samples folder. Then you'll hear it.....etc.

Wemic
12-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I can imagine that. Still having trouble with my carrier landings. I keep serenely floating over the arrestor cables. Maybe I should switch my handle to "Bolter"! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Wemic

Fliger747
12-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Picked up a book recently; "No Easy Days, the Incredible drama of Naval Aviation". Some pretty spectacular deck crashes. The amazing thing was that a good portion of them were survivable without injuries!

The arresting cable 'tension' needs to be cranked up some more if we see
another patch! I don't think the cables were that long!

_Ddave_
12-24-2004, 02:30 PM
On the subject of touchdown sounds....is there a way to add a wav file that gives you a touch down sound when you land ? I never liked the fact that all my touch downs make no sound.I have never been an (real) aircraft landing that didn't make some kind of sound.Is it possible to get a little tire "screech" sound on touch down?
Thx,Dd

IV_JG51_Razor
12-25-2004, 01:31 AM
OK Brando, I think I understand now. The .wav file that I create should be labeled tow_01.wav, and it will be used by the game instead of what is in there now.

Ddave, this is exactly what we're talking about here. You need to find a sound file of screeching tires, and save it as a .wav file and put it in the samples folder of the game. Label it tow_01.wav.

IV_JG51_Razor
12-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Fliger, I have that book too, it's great! I also have the video that goes with it. You would love that as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

t0n.
12-25-2004, 02:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ddave, this is exactly what we're talking about here. You need to find a sound file of screeching tires, and save it as a .wav file and put it in the samples folder of the game. Label it tow_01.wav. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody got a really good <tow_01.wav> to share please?

WTE_Konigwolf
12-25-2004, 02:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t0n.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ddave, this is exactly what we're talking about here. You need to find a sound file of screeching tires, and save it as a .wav file and put it in the samples folder of the game. Label it tow_01.wav. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody got a really good <tow_01.wav> to share please? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO

cause it needed to be yelled

konigwolf

Bussard_1
12-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Gents,
sorry I've not responded until now {work & Christmas}.
IV_JG51_Razor,I think x6BL_Brando summarised my approach quite well.
t0n.& WTE_Konigwolf, you are welcome to "my" Falcon 4 tyre screech.How do I post a file here?
Anyone care to suggest another method {to distribute the sound}?
Oh BTW, has anyone else tried this and had success? A little feed back wouldn't hurt.
Bussard

t0n.
12-25-2004, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>0n.& WTE_Konigwolf, you are welcome to "my" Falcon 4 tyre screech.How do I post a file here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be awesome mate. If you would mail it to:

t0n@ananzi.co.za

...I'd be happy to host it for everyone else.

BlitzPig_DDT
12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
There must be something more to it than simply dropping a file of that name in that directory.

There are several sounds in there that I have never heard in the game, and I took one, copied it (to insure that the length, file size, format, etc, were correct) and named it tow_01.wav. I then trapped in a campaign mission - nothing. I listened to the sound first so I would recognize it. It was one of the klaxons, impossible to mistake or miss. It wasn't played.

I had a feeling it sounded too good to be true. lol

Bussard_1
12-25-2004, 08:02 PM
tON,
on the way mate.
Bussard

IV_JG51_Razor
12-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'm a little skeptical about this too. Unfortunately, I'm out on the road right now and can't really do anything with it until I get back home. I think I'm missing something here. As DDT said, none of the sounds in the sample folder are heard ingame, how is it that putting this wav file in there will result in us hearing it? I would think that it goes somewhere else in order for it to work.

t0n.
12-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I'm not in a position to test it either right now, but Bussard was kind enough to share it with me. As promised, its available for anyone who wants from here:

tow_01.wav (http://home.imaginet.co.za/meprolite/tow_01.wav)

Make sure you right-click and select "Save As" or it'll just stream.

hth

Bussard_1
12-26-2004, 02:25 AM
Hey Guys,
I was running 3.02mb at the time I used this succesfully,as described previously.
I am now using 3.03 and using the same file in the same way is a failure! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Of course 303 has it's own trap sound{a bit soft IMOHO} and I guess the game uses that by preference.I guess it was too good to last.
My suggestion and the file created were an earnest attemp to give something back,...just sorry it doesn't work in 303.
Bussard

Flydutch
12-26-2004, 02:39 AM
Is Oleg Aware of this problem that 'Sounds'Like a Bug?

IV_JG51_Razor
12-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I am still using 3.02bm, and I put that tow_01.wav file in my samples>sounds folder, but get nothing new. What am I doing wrong? Also, when I play that clip, it sounds more like scraping metal than screeching tires.