PDA

View Full Version : emil prop pitch automatic?

deskpilot
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I notice the plane guide says emil's prop pitch is manual but I'm darned if it responds to any of my prop pitch presets on my throttle. Sweet plane to fly by the way. I've never flown it on IL2 before. looking forward to a battle of britain campaign from the Luftwaffe perspective!

Sillius_Sodus
10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
The Emil, at least in the vanilla game, has auto prop pitch. You can however select manual pitch, I think it's mapped, I have mine set to shift 0.

M_Gunz
10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Just be aware that manual pitch on the 109's, or at least the early ones, is not the same as manual pitch on CSP planes. It is prop pitch control rather than prop speed control. You gotta change the pitch to control rpms with every change in speed or power. Start at 100% for takeoff and if you leave it there with 90+% power on then the engine can blow before you get the gear and flaps up. Engine noise tone is good to tell when you're running at high revs, try and keep 2100-2600 in that Emil.

deskpilot
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. And I thought the tempest needed alot of nursing to control the revs!

jameson2010
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Try taking off with manual prop pitch. According to the 109e manual, pitch should be set to 11.30. It never does take off. Yet on auto with pitch at 12.00, i.e. even finer pitch or less prop bite, it takes off as normal! I have no explanation for this...

Stiletto-
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Back in the day, I used to blow my engine diving in the P-40. I finally realized it didn't like all those RPMs that built up. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

mortoma
10-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by jameson2010:
Try taking off with manual prop pitch. According to the 109e manual, pitch should be set to 11.30. It never does take off. Yet on auto with pitch at 12.00, i.e. even finer pitch or less prop bite, it takes off as normal! I have no explanation for this... 11.30 and 12.00 what?? I think PP is stated in percentage in the game, right?

WTE_Galway
10-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jameson2010:
Try taking off with manual prop pitch. According to the 109e manual, pitch should be set to 11.30. It never does take off. Yet on auto with pitch at 12.00, i.e. even finer pitch or less prop bite, it takes off as normal! I have no explanation for this... 11.30 and 12.00 what?? I think PP is stated in percentage in the game, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He means on the LW "clock" style pitch gauge in the actual 3D cockpit not the wonder-woman style heads up HUD.

BTW ... the in game Emil actually WAS manual pitch around the AEP/FB period (perhaps the game documentation that the OP is reading dates back to that period) however quite a number of people pointed out to Oleg how, by the time of Barbarossa, (the date IL2 Emils are modeled on) almost all surviving Emils had been converted to the German auto-pitch (not CSP) system so Oleg changed the in-game Emil in a patch. Its been auto ever since.

The original manual pitch in-game Emil needed PP set to 60% or less for a safe takeoff without over-revving the engine. Not sure what that translates to in the "clock" system.