PDA

View Full Version : SOW: BOB Release Date?

gpang788
04-19-2009, 09:49 AM
All right been waiting long enough when ??

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Two weeks....couldn't resist, lol. According to Oleg if there are no major setbacks it should be out at the end of this year. Now there will always be setbacks in software development so either the end of this year or the first half of next would be a wise estimate. Now there will be a thousand posts from doomsayers that will tell you it will never be out and that it's vaporware but feel free to ignore them, I do. In his last big interview Oleg explained a misunderstanding. While BoB was announced a long time ago development did not really begin until after 1946 DVD was released. So if you use that as the starting mark then the dev time for a project as big as SoW is remarkably on time.

doogerie
04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
It woild be wise For Oleg to hold it back untill just befor christmas to maximise sales .I hope it comes out befor Dec 8thh becaus that means i can get it for my birthday

rnzoli
04-19-2009, 11:01 AM
ha ha ha ha
Christmas in which year? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ytareh
04-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Im guessing for the tenth anniversary in 2011....imagine!TEN YEARS!Is there any other near decade old games knocking around?

Eustachy1980
04-19-2009, 12:04 PM
You are right, ytareh!

In recent interview Oleg suggested that probable SoW release date is early 2011 or maybe Christmas 2010. Why? Because work on SoW started two years ago and is now 60% complete. Additionally Oleg claimed work on Il-2 Sturmovik took four years before first release.

So it is safe to assume up to two years of SoW development is still needed to finish this sim!

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Eustachy1980:
You are right, ytareh!

In recent interview Oleg suggested that probable SoW release date is early 2011 or maybe Christmas 2010. Why? Because work on SoW started two years ago and is now 60% complete. Additionally Oleg claimed work on Il-2 Sturmovik took four years before first release.

So it is safe to assume up to two years of SoW development is still needed to finish this sim!

Show me where he said late 2010 or 2011, AFAIK the interview in which he said late 2009 was the most recent one he had given, if there is a more recent interview I would like to know.

Eustachy1980
04-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Show me where he said late 2010 or 2011, AFAIK the interview in which he said late 2009 was the most recent one he had given, if there is a more recent interview I would like to know.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=6494

Golden_Eagle_FM
04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I was of those that said vaporware a few times.
There was nothing really strong to counter this opinion.

Now if we take four years as the time needed to develop a software after 1946 then ok I do agree 2011 would still be ok.

If Oleg started so lately BoB this means financial issues and 1946 was a quick gain.
With the existing credit crunch and worldwide economical crisis the risk that BoB becomes real vaporware is very high.

After all BoB will never sell in numbers like world of warcraft or other titles like simple FPS etc. The community of people who really wants real "SIMULATION" is very small. I do not know of many who would go through pages to just have al the processes simulated to start an engine let it only fly. But I love that because I fly real airplanes.

I can only be grateful that Oleg spends so much money for a small community like ours but can he really go to the end I wonder.

Gold

knightflyte
04-19-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm willing to bet Gaigen's X Box 360 version of IL2 will bolster a lot of interest in flight sims. I've read very few bad comments regarding it on You Tube. I think many will be won over to the dark side of PC simulations like BoB and other games being developed like 777 Studios' Thunderbolt series (for eg).

SoW already has a steady base of interest because of IL2 and Oleg's reputation for putting together a very good sim/game.

I myself am looking forward to what is released when you consider IL2 was originally run on 500MHZ processors and 32 bit Video Cards and 128 MB of RAM. Since then we've had Quad Core, DX10, 64Bit OS, and other computing improvements that should almost exponantially elevate what is capable for BoB, verses what was done in IL2.

We shall see, but I do see this being released and NOT vapourware as some may believe.

Eustachy1980
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, computer games steadily move to the consoles. Flight sims are one of last genres remaining on PC platform because console hardware is rather too weak to handle sophisticated sims like Il-2, LOFC, DCS aside of their very simplified versions.

Yet this also means very shallow market niche as Golden_Eagle_FM pointed out...

Having said that I am sure SoW will be released sooner or later because this game should have growing potential. Read Oleg's interview! He wants to create open SoW game engine and release modding tools in similar way to already abandoned Flight Simulator franchise. That means many third party add-ons and quite big market share.

Anyway...long live Il-2 1946! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Rwulf__68
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
The other factor that happens are the atmospherics & core engine used for the final game. These have more spin-offs in the design world than merely the interests of the " community of people who really wants real "SIMULATION" ".

Think of it like this how your own PC knowledge Hardware & Software) has expanded as a consequence of getting your system to outperform it's specs in the past 8 years then use that analogy to the tools generated by the development of the game.

Chivas
04-19-2009, 07:26 PM
The developer has never mentioned 2011 as a release date. His hopes are for the end of 2009, but he understand as do the rest of us that this sim is to complicated to call a definitive release date.

When he says the Features are 60% done, it doesn't mean that the sim is only 60% done. The main work like the game engine is done with only tweaking of the engine required while the Features are completed. So the sim is far more than 60% done, if it wasn't the developer would never even mention a possible 2009 release date.

The developer has stated he could have released a version of SOW by now. Sales of the IL-2 series afforded him more time to release a version that more suits his vision of a cinematic combat flight sim.

So in the worst case scenario, if the developer runs out of time and money a version will be released that may not live up to the developers vision of the final product. That said this could easily be perfected with the release of additional addons as the developer has a history of doing.

Feathered_IV
04-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Third party developers could well to be working on a new paid addon to Il-2 (see comments by modellers after aviaskins members leaked/stole wip models of Fokker, SM-79 and proper radar), "Blitz you bloody well understood that it's not supposed to be public content because you know the final purpose of those."

SaSqN weighed into the debate very quickly here also. Which adds another close connection to Maddox games.

I'm thinking another Il-2 addon is on the cards, perhaps overseen by RRG. This would give a much needed cash injection to the SoW project. Being an official one though, don't hold your breath waiting for updates.

PB0_shadow
04-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Could be for the anniversary of the BoB, that would be cool :-)

Feathered_IV
04-21-2009, 07:23 AM
75th anniversary? Quite possibly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DuxCorvan
04-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by doogerie:
It would be wise For Oleg to hold it back

Then Oleg is being extremely wise... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

CRSutton
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Im guessing for the tenth anniversary in 2011....imagine!TEN YEARS!Is there any other near decade old games knocking around?

Diablo II is the only one I can think of. Still has a very large following.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CRSutton:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

Diablo II is the only one I can think of. Still has a very large following. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, good call, in fact it was only a few months ago that a new patch was released, lol.

UnknownTarget
04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, computer games steadily move to the consoles. Flight sims are one of last genres remaining on PC platform because console hardware is rather too weak to handle sophisticated sims like Il-2, LOFC, DCS aside of their very simplified versions.

Er, no, you're wrong - consoles are plenty powerful enough to handle sims. It's just that the console market has no desire for sims, and the control scheme on a console is much too simplified for something like a true sim (basically imagine playing IL-2 with thumbsticks and 9 buttons - not going to happen well).

Swivet
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
2 weeks after December 21st. 2012, but we wont be around to play it.

danjama
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Battle of Britain Day 2010! How cool would that be.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd prefer BoB day 2009.....

na85
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Eustachy1980:

Check your facts.

The latest generation of gaming consoles are more powerful than the PCs of most users of this forum.

na85
04-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Also: http://pc.ign.com/objects/827/827819.html

doogerie
04-22-2009, 03:45 AM
if that was true i would cream myself

Black_Ops7
04-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Release date 2 june 2009 is incorrect (ign and gamespot say its released on dat day)

its incorrect because the game is now 60% done according do this not so old interview:

http://www.simcombat.org/2009/...rm-of-war-interview/ (http://www.simcombat.org/2009/03/battle-of-britain-storm-of-war-interview/)

squareusr
04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Golden_Eagle_FM:
[...]go through pages to just have[...]

Go through pages? Nobody would have ever needed a manual if they had just renamed the whole game to Shift+F1 is the german word for "gunsight"

(any suggestions for Pacific Fighters? Maybe Pump up da gear! with a soundtrack from technotronic?)

smokincrater
04-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Everybody remember the old release date of December 2006.

Chivas
04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by smokincrater:
Everybody remember the old release date of December 2006.

I remember the orginal developers hoped release of end of 2005.

Chivas
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Black_Ops7:
Release date 2 june 2009 is incorrect (ign and gamespot say its released on dat day)

its incorrect because the game is now 60% done according do this not so old interview:

http://www.simcombat.org/2009/...rm-of-war-interview/ (http://www.simcombat.org/2009/03/battle-of-britain-storm-of-war-interview/)

Again...the article doesn't say the Game is 60% done, it says the Features are 60% done. The game engine is probably 98% done, the objects and aircraft over 80% done. With weather and other features 60% done, totaling a game over 80% done. Its the only way the developer could hope to say that there is a possible release by the end of the year. We should have a better idea on how far the game has progressed when the SimHQ interview comes out.