PDA

View Full Version : Current state of the AI

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 09:00 PM
I'll keep it simple the AI are better than ever, much of it directly connects to improvements in flight and weapons modeling. There's a few weaknesses that have carried over from the early days.

Exibit A- Bombers, worked great having the IL-2's coded for gunners going active as soon as the gunsight of the players plane was placed on or within x degrees. That was a great early days feature, however it no longer works well in a massed bomber environment, you accidentally pass that sight over two or three bombers to pick the one you wish to attack your as good as dead.

The bombers go active as if they'd already been fired upon no matter your still out of their normal reaction range and haven't fired a shot. Small groups will actually start odd flight behavior doing the roll and climb shuffle. Can we delete this gunsight response stuff and only have it actually begin once a weapon is fired at a bomber in the sights? It ruins the suspension of disbelief when a single bomber in a 20 ship formation knows I'm gunning for him alone from 1.5 Km's out.

Exibit B- Fighters, same thing with AI and gunsights, but a different problem. An ACE or Vet goes into the spastic twirl and roll around the sight without even a shot fired and at extreme distance. Now excuse me, but shouldn't an Ace be straight lining with the engine firewalled to increase the gap and continue the escape? I find it rediculously easy to kill and Ace or Vet just by passing the gun sight over him and starting him doing the energy bleed chicken dance. There's no chance of him escaping or opening a gap for an advantage. Any way to stop this response until a shot has actually been fired or better yet connects? This is fine for rookies, one would expect such basic mistakes.

Exibit C- vehicles- they do the same, an individual vehicle will know when it's passed in the sight and begin jinking while the rest of the column stays normal. How would a single guy on the ground know he was the selected target?

It's about time this gunsight radar warning reciever was eliminated or toned down. The AI is already good enough to pose a serious threat defensively, they can dish out far better than most can give when in numbers. Defensive arieal gunners and AAA ground fire is already a deadly enough threat and doesn't need this extra boost any more.

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 09:00 PM
I'll keep it simple the AI are better than ever, much of it directly connects to improvements in flight and weapons modeling. There's a few weaknesses that have carried over from the early days.

Exibit A- Bombers, worked great having the IL-2's coded for gunners going active as soon as the gunsight of the players plane was placed on or within x degrees. That was a great early days feature, however it no longer works well in a massed bomber environment, you accidentally pass that sight over two or three bombers to pick the one you wish to attack your as good as dead.

The bombers go active as if they'd already been fired upon no matter your still out of their normal reaction range and haven't fired a shot. Small groups will actually start odd flight behavior doing the roll and climb shuffle. Can we delete this gunsight response stuff and only have it actually begin once a weapon is fired at a bomber in the sights? It ruins the suspension of disbelief when a single bomber in a 20 ship formation knows I'm gunning for him alone from 1.5 Km's out.

Exibit B- Fighters, same thing with AI and gunsights, but a different problem. An ACE or Vet goes into the spastic twirl and roll around the sight without even a shot fired and at extreme distance. Now excuse me, but shouldn't an Ace be straight lining with the engine firewalled to increase the gap and continue the escape? I find it rediculously easy to kill and Ace or Vet just by passing the gun sight over him and starting him doing the energy bleed chicken dance. There's no chance of him escaping or opening a gap for an advantage. Any way to stop this response until a shot has actually been fired or better yet connects? This is fine for rookies, one would expect such basic mistakes.

Exibit C- vehicles- they do the same, an individual vehicle will know when it's passed in the sight and begin jinking while the rest of the column stays normal. How would a single guy on the ground know he was the selected target?

It's about time this gunsight radar warning reciever was eliminated or toned down. The AI is already good enough to pose a serious threat defensively, they can dish out far better than most can give when in numbers. Defensive arieal gunners and AAA ground fire is already a deadly enough threat and doesn't need this extra boost any more.