PDA

View Full Version : x52 vs CH

muzzlehead
04-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi All,

I've been flying with a Saitek x45 for years. I also have trackir 4 and ch usb rudder pedals.

My stick is starting to show its age, the play in the stick is very loose so I am considering an upgrade.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to use the x45 throttle with a ch stick?

2) What makes the x52 pro better than the x52 (in real terms not color or lights).

3) I have limited usb ports and from all I have read and heard the joystick and trackir should not go through a usb hub. Can the ch throttle and stick link together (like the x45) and does the x52 pro still link together like the x45?

Thanks for your input and time

Muzzlehead

Choctaw111
04-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I have not used Saitek, but my I have had my CH controls for 5 years and they are still going strong with no signs of wear.

Jimbo93
04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I have no experience with the Saitek products either, but I'm a huge advocate of the CH gear. I had the fighterstick, pro throttle and rudder set up and decided to "upgrade" to a ThrustMaster Cougar. Long story short, after a few months of frustration, my CH is back and the Cougar's in it's box. In my opinion CH = Cougar Hunter. Never had a single problem with it.

BadA1m
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Iirc, the x52 pro has a stiffer spring return and it has more display functionality, and I believe it has some metal parts.

I'm not sure about the saitek/CH compatibility thing.

I use my Tir4 with a hub, but it must be a powered hub: your mileage may very.

x6BL_Brando
04-21-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm a CH user too - six years without problems for my Fighterstick and Pedals. Buttons, pots, springs and even entire gimbals are cheaply available for them, but I've used mine for over five thousand hours and still haven't needed to replace anything

Compatibilty-wise - no, the CH stick and Saitek throttle cannot be joined. Most people, I hear, keep the Saitek gear connected using the (Saitek) stick as an extra 'button-bay' somewhere on their desks.

As you said, CH kit will not work well using a hub, powered or otherwise, but the usual get-around is to install a PCI card with USB ports on it. They come pretty cheap and offer as many as 4 extra ports.

B

na85
04-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by muzzlehead:

3) I have limited usb ports and from all I have read and heard the joystick and trackir should not go through a usb hub. Can the ch throttle and stick link together (like the x45) and does the x52 pro still link together like the x45?

I run my joystick and my TIR4 through a USB hub with no problems. Panning is smooth as glass and never loses center.

Just make sure it's a POWERED usb 2.0 hub. (I.e. one that you have to plug into the wall)

Jezzadog
04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm with Na85. I run CH Fighterstick, ProThrottle and ProPedals (but now using Saitek pedals), TrackIR2, Logitech G15 and audio jacks from a powered Targus 7 port hub.

No problems at all.

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-21-2008, 06:30 AM
1) Is it possible to use the x45 throttle with a ch stick?

Yes but the X52 Stick has to remain connected to the throttle. You can use the CH fighterstick for control surfaces and push the X52 stick out of the way or as mentioned use it for extra buttons.

I own all CH Products now and wouldnt have it any other way.

S!

Hoenire
04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Is it possible to use the x45 throttle with a ch stick?

Yes but the X52 Stick has to remain connected to the throttle. You can use the CH fighterstick for control surfaces and push the X52 stick out of the way or as mentioned use it for extra buttons.

I own all CH Products now and wouldnt have it any other way.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he says. My X45 throttle is in the process of dying so I've bought an X52 on ebay just so I can use the throttle. I MUCH prefer the X45/X52 throttles to the CH throttles but this is down to personal preference.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-21-2008, 07:19 AM
1. Yes. You can run the throttle with a CH-Stick. I used the X45 with the CH Fighterstick USB. Worked nice, but I don't know if the stick of the X45 has to be connected, as I use a modified version, with the buttons of the stick implemented into the X45 Throttle-case.

You can use the X52 throttle without the Stick, though. It works pretty good as a replacement for CH's rotary-free ProThrottle, which IMHO is the biggest flaw of the CH-gear.

2. The X52Pro has a modified centering system consisting of 2 springs instead of only one. It helps smoothing the movement of the stick on all angles, while it can have a quite non-linear resistance on the X52 non-pro.
Besides that the X52Pro has a display which works basically as a data-display. There are a number of tools available that display ingame-variables on the stick as well as Teamspeak-Information or other stuff.

3. I read several threads where people say linking CH-Throttle and Stick through a USB-Hub does not work. I honestly, think they just tried the non-powered version, which is not suitable for devices without their own power-source, anyway.

My 2 cents to the HOTAS:

My first real joystick I absolutely loved was the CH Fighterstick & Throttle (gameport), well over 10 years ago. The best you could get at that time IMHO. About 3 years ago I finally thought it would be time for an update. I got the USB-Version and really liked it very much - at least at the beginning...
The added functionalities come with the price that you have to calibrate the stick each single time you disconnected it from the Computer and as I travel a lot and take my gear with me to LAN-Parties and stuff, I soon learned to just hate it. No more plug and play, no onboard-stored programming or easy access after reconnecting. Besides that the centering on my newer stick is really sluggish and it takes a lot practice to use it with minimum inputs to overcome the tense springs without moving the stick too far, maybe especially compared to my old gameport-sticks springs.
I got my hands on a 30bucks broken X52, repaired it and it replaced my CH-gear completely. Never going back.

Wildnoob
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I use a X52 for about 9 months, and it already show problems, I think is with the potenciometers.

the joystick started to pull to the rigth or left (both, depend). and take me out of course. but it's not torque, I can perfectly fly in line with an aircraft in normal conditions.

I already hear that 2 people had the same problem. with me, 3.

I are not recommended to not buy the X52, but just relate a fact that happen with me. I plan buy a X52 pro, hope it don't have this problem.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
The potentiometers of the X52 are pretty good, but there are a couple of X52s with centering problems. It looks like you got one of them. Saitek recommends to send the stick in and get a new one.

TheFamilyMan
04-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by muzzlehead:
2) What makes the x52 pro better than the x52 (in real terms not color or lights).
Muzzlehead
As mentioned, the centering mechanism on the x52 pro is somewhat stiffer than the x52. I originally bought a x52 and hated it for its sloppy loose centering. Once the X52 stick is off center, there is virtually no position feedback IMO. I returned it and got a pro which was a huge improvement in this area. The second difference are the hats and dials: the x52 uses plastic for these, whereas the pro uses metal. The x52's felt cheap and "cheesy" (I hated this about it too) compared to the pro. The pro MDF display thing is a wash for me, but it can be put to good use. The only reason I went with saitek was cost; I got a great deal on a NIB pro. I've had mine for about a year and it has about 150 hours on it without any problems. As you can tell, CH users love their sticks and I imagine my next stick will be a CH if my interest lasts that long. Good Luck!

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I MUCH prefer the X45/X52 throttles to the CH throttles but this is down to personal preference.

I did like the X52 throttle and it never gave me any problems. I prefer the feel and response of the CH though, but I really miss the slider and rotaries on the X52.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
I use a X52 for about 9 months, and it already show problems, I think is with the potenciometers.

the joystick started to pull to the rigth or left (both, depend). and take me out of course. but it's not torque, I can perfectly fly in line with an aircraft in normal conditions.

I are not recommended to not buy the X52, but just relate a fact that happen with me. I plan buy a X52 pro, hope it don't have this problem.

Axis spiking seems to be a common complaint for the X series. Many users have gotten the dreaded blinking light syndrome as well and to my knowledge there is no fix. My issue was the twist axis as it went out in only a few months.

S!

JG52Uther
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I know that there is a mod for the CH throttle that gives it rotaries,but I can't understand why CH don't make an 'official' version.

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
I know that there is a mod for the CH throttle that gives it rotaries,but I can't understand why CH don't make an 'official' version.

Yes there is and several community members have had it done and love it. The guy does excellent work. http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2488&highlight=potato&page=4

Hopefully CH adds slider/rotaries in the future. I know its a highly requested function.

S!

crucislancer
04-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildnoob:

Axis spiking seems to be a common complaint for the X series. Many users have gotten the dreaded blinking light syndrome as well and to my knowledge there is no fix. My issue was the twist axis as it went out in only a few months.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The blinking light sydrome? Is that where the lights blink and the calibration goes nuts?

That's what happens to my X52 on occasion. Twice a week, usually. I turned the joystick lights off, and that's how I noticed it. All the lights will wink very briefly, then it goes out of whack. When it happens, I'll unplug the stick from the throttle, plug it back in and it works fine after that.

I can't comment on CH now, as I haven't used thier stuff since 1999, but I liked it then. I went with the X52 only because of cost. If my budget allowed it, I would get all CH products again.

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-22-2008, 06:34 AM

My only criticism. They have the components, know-how and ability, but just haven't done it. I have my throttle modded into a Franken-Potato and the thing is absolutely awesome. This mod not only adds a pair of rotaries (one forefinger, one pinky), it also adds 6 momentary switches from the CH Throttle Quadrant. Perfect for all those functions you need mapped but rarely access. I have most of my added switches assigned with these - (lock tailwheel, chocks, wing fold, raise seat, engine start and all engine select functions) 6 switches can do alot!

Choctaw111
04-22-2008, 06:21 PM

They may. All the work that "Ghost" does in modifying the ProThrottle is sanctioned by CH, although it does void the warranty. He is a beta tester for them and CH thinks that what he is doing in modding their controls is great. Perhaps after enough of them are sold like with these modifications, they will put them officially into production. I am VERY pleased with the extra 2 rotaries, SIX 3-way (Throttle Quadrant) switches, and ONE 4-way hat switch on my ProThrottle Franken Potato. That is in addition to the 20 buttons and 3 modes that the ProThrottle already has. Including my Fighterstick, that is 56 buttons without using the different modes. Using the THREE different modes on the CH ProThrottle and CH Fighterstick makes for a total of 136 mapped functions. I don't use all of those, but someday I might.