PDA

View Full Version : Dude!..Anyone flying with a Dell?

Butcherbird
10-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Ive always built my own units but due to some lifestyle changes and time constraints (married with a kid on the way) I just dont have the time for the constant tweaking and tlc that a handbuilt unit requires and im considering buying a Dell or something comparable. Anyone out there running IL2 on one with any degree of satisfaction?

stelr
10-17-2004, 07:13 PM
XPS. Very satisfied.

SkyChimp
10-17-2004, 07:35 PM
HP is better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tmdgm
10-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I have an older dell, but FB runs pretty well on it. I struggle with FPS, but it's an older system.

I was able to upgrade my ram, vid card and sound card for FB over the years and the was no problem upgrading for me. However, if you want to upgrade Power supply, MOBO, processor, you are extremely limited.

Dell Dimension 41100
P3 933
512 sdram pc 133
geforce 4 ti 4200 128 mb
audigy
win me

Korolov
10-17-2004, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend a Dell at all, I know a few guys who have had very bad experiences with Dell PCs. However, if you can get one for a reasonable enough price, then it would be enough to at least run FB.

Mashie_Nibblick
10-17-2004, 08:04 PM
I was pretty cagey about Dells for a long time, until the last year or so, when I've known a few people to have good luck with them, as far as reliability, bang-for-buck, and so on go. I got an 8400 last month; so far, so good. I'll let you know if that changes, of course... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jungmann
10-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Pretty computer-lame here, but for what it's worth, I'm running a Dimension 8250 P4 2.4. Added an ATI 9800 and upped the RAM to 512, and as far as I can tell from other posts, it's running IL-2 at Perfect settings about as well and fast as most people who are relatively happy with how their box is running.

TheJoyStick
10-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I've got a Dell I got back in 2000. I've only upgraded the card (9600 pro now, but it came with a Geforce 2)

p4 1.5
512 MB RAM
and the card I can run PF at medium detail, low view distance at get satisfactory frames without any pausing, but if I raise the visibility distance my PC starts stuttering. I really need a new PC, but this one's doing the job well enough til then, and I've never once had a problem with it I couldn't fix with a simple format.

Sun_Ra
10-17-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a Dell 8250, originally a 2.4, I upped it to 3.06, upped the vid card to 9800 pro and have meg of ram. That's as far as I'm going to go w/ the upgrades. Runs real well on perfect mode 4xAA 4XAF. Their phone support is lacking however.

oFZo
10-18-2004, 01:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Butcherbird:
Ive always built my own units but due to some lifestyle changes and time constraints (married with a kid on the way) I just dont have the time for the constant tweaking and tlc that a handbuilt unit requires and im considering buying a Dell or something comparable. Anyone out there running IL2 on one with any degree of satisfaction? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since building my own rig I've never had to tweak anything, it's more stable than the IBM's I have as well. It's still the only right thing to do.

Spectre_USA
10-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Just received the 1st 2 dozen of what will be close to 1,000 Dell laptops and desktops.

They will replace all the IBM's we have in out brnaches nationally. I am so far less than
impressed, but hope the big batch changes my mind.

Getting Dell certified looks to be more hoops than when I got IBM certed years ago. Never thought
that would be possible.

At home, it's always home-built!

PBNA-Boosher
10-18-2004, 05:08 AM
My Dell is 8 years old and still runs FB.

S 8
10-18-2004, 06:32 AM
I have a Dell 8200 2.26 ghz with a Ti4600.A bit old now,bought June 2002 but it runs darn nice,no problems at all.I think a XPS will be the next one.Those looks nice.

Woof603
10-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Had a Dell, switched to Falcon, paid a little more, got a whole helluva lot more. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-HH- Beebop
10-18-2004, 07:51 AM
A squadmate of mine has a Dell and it's given him fits and starts getting it upgraded to a reasonable level. He got a lot of mis-information from Dell as to his ability to upgrade the machine. This is why I say, if you can, I would recommend the local Mom & Pop computer store. Here's why:

1. You can talk to real people, face to face, with real knowledge, who won't tell you you have to use their proprietary parts.
2. If you need service or to upgrade they are just a few blocks away and you won't have to wait 3-4 weeks for it to come back.
3. They have the newest upgrades and can advise you on what to get at a lower price that will meet your needs.
4. They will build what YOU want at a price YOU can afford. For a machine that will run FB very well you won't be spending over $1,000. If you can afford $1500 you'll get a machine that will carry you easily to BoB and can be upgraded easily when the time comes.

The only reason I can see to go with Dell/HP etc. is if $$$ is an issue and you need to make payments. Still if that's your dilemma, before calling "Mega Computers" ask 'Mom & Pop', they might even have a payment plan you can live with.

Just a thought.

noshens
10-18-2004, 07:54 AM
there was a sale for dell last week for pcs 40% off, don't know if it's still on but you could save lots of money. I currently have Dell i9100 laptop it's running il2 at perfect no problems the only bad thing is that I bought it without those big sales and payed what seems now too much when I look what other people are paying when taking advantage of sales on Dell.

F19_Ob
10-18-2004, 10:08 AM
jepp...Dell and works fine...I only need some more ram and a better graphics card.

The190Flyer
10-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Heck yeah man Dell runs great, I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with a P4 2GHz CPU, 1Gb of Ram and a Nvidia 5200 with 128Mb of Ram in it. It is a bit pricy but they are reliable. I do have extensive knowledge of computers also. Im not hardcore in running full graphics, but i have it set at 800x600 16 bit, (32 bit is overkill doesn't really help any, just wastes video memory) But my Dell runs perfect and I am very pleased with the way it runs. ALthough I've seen E-machines sell for $370 after rebates in Best Buy, I'd tune one of those baby's up and run just IL-2 on it.But anyway Dell is a good computer just a little expensive. I plan on building my next one here in a few months to run PF better and hopefully BoB in the future.
New Comp specs:
P4 3.2GHz CPU
1 or 2 Gb of DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Vid. Card newer version anyway
160Gb HDD

Just hit the main stuff

S!

sgilewicz
10-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm with HH Beebop on this. I have had Dell PC'sat home and my business for the last 10 years and until the last two years everything was fine. Unfortunately Dell has been guilty of bait and switch tactics regarding peripherals (specifically sound and video cards). The last pc I bought was a Dimension 4550 and I ordered it with a GeForce 4FX video card and SB Live! sound card. When the unit arrived I was surprised to find that Dell had substituted a GeForce MX card along with an OEM version of the SB Live! that was incapable of running any drivers from Creative Labs. If you really want a Dell my advice would be to order all peripherals from a different vendor(s). Dell replaced the items I mentioned after I complained but at a lower cost than I paid! How is that for good consumer relations. By the way, on Dell's user site I read hundreds of the same complaints including an attorney starting a class action suit for deceptive advertising. Be careful and good luck.

Lateralus_14
10-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Good luck trying to get any tech support from them. They'll route your call to somewhere in India and you'll have to talk to someone with an accent so thick you can hardly understand them.

capt_frank
10-18-2004, 12:26 PM
i've got a 2.8 ghz dell 4550, 1 gig ram and a ti-4600 vid card. runs solid for me, no problems whatsoever...coming up on 2 years of ownership.

Hartford688
10-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I have a Dell 4100, PIII 800 w/ FX5200 card and 384MB Ram. Considering age and power, can still run FB (just). Very few problems in over 4 years.

scootertgm
10-18-2004, 02:26 PM
With Dell, people either love them or hate them. As for SkyChimps comments about HP being better... I now question anything you put up as fact with lareg suspision...

I am on my second Dell, currently I have a XPS which was rated by computer gaming magizine as the best Intel based gaming box on the market.

woofiedog
10-18-2004, 02:38 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gifI have a older 8200 Series and I've had no problems. I replaced my Graphics with a ATI 9800, uped my memory to 1G and and an replaced the sound card with a Audigy 2 sound card.
As far as service... I called about a couple of problems I was having with my updates and they helped me out and answered any quesion I had.
Would I buy another one? Yes... I just bought one from my daughter.

TX-EcoDragon
10-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Dimension 8200 P4 2.8 (upped from 2.2) 1 Gig RAM, nVidia 6800. . . three years old and running strong. Service used to be much better, over the last year techs seem to know much less about the actual machines, and seem to be more or less just looking in their database for problems that are similar to those you describe. But overall im satisfied.

tmdgm
10-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about service. The service is horrid. You will get transfered to somewhere in India. I'm not trying to bust on Indians by any means, so if I offend anyone, I'm sorry. But when I was upgrading my Radeon 7200 to a geforce ti4200, I talked with 4 different people and they were all idiots. One girl told me it wouldn't work for my system. The other said if it fits, it will work. They were terrible. Worse service I've ever had.

lbhskier37
10-18-2004, 08:02 PM
I did support for a college research project that used all dells. Well with working on Dells every day, I can tell you they are ****! Problems popped up all the time for the stupidest reasons, the hardware was not robust at all. Although we were using them for video encoding which is pretty tasking, that was no reason for the fallout we had. The worst part about Dell however is their consumer tech support. Their comericials that talk about award winning tech support don't say when they won awards, and I am willing to bet it hasn't been in the last 3 years. One good testamony was when the guy down the hall from me bought one. Right from the first day it had fairly random reboots. After I looked at it and came to the conclusion it was some piece of hardware failing he called tech support. After most of a day of run-around having Dell make him do everything I had already done, (and we told them we already did this too) they told him he had to reformat it himself and that should fix it. I was pretty pissed because it was a brand new computer and there is no reason one should have to spend hours reformatting just to get it to work out of the box. Well after the reformat guess what? Still unstable. After a few more days of calls and transfers, they finally let him send it back. Awarding winning LOL. If you are going to buy a PC go to a mom and pop place, dont support crappy outsourcing, destroying our economy, walmart like country. Keep in mind when Dell has its HUGE sales, you get what you pay for. If you are very computer savy and plan on removing all the stock dell garbage software(and forgetting about using tech support) and starting from scratch they aren't that bad of a deal though.

WWSensei
10-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Had a Dell 4100. Still do in fact. Have had a Dell 8250 with a Gig of mem, P4 3.06 Ghz and a 9700 Pro and can play any game out with excellent results.

Also bought a C600 laptop and an inspiron laptop for my daughter to head off to college.

Contrary to others I've had excellent service. When the mobo on the 8250 had some issues it was one phone call and the next day a tech was at my house and replaced the mobo in 20 mins.

My daughter spilled a soda on her laptop and they were at her dorm room 2 hours later with a new keyboard and processor and got it back up and running.

Still have 2 machines I built myself. Both AMDs. I spend more time fiddling with them than I care to admit and have sworn off EVER going home built again. I don't have the time or patience to play the silly "does this chipset match that memory match this processor?" game anymore. Not when the end costs are only a couple of hundred dollars difference.

It's worth not having to deal with the PITA factor.

Red_Russian13
10-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Yes, I really like Dell. I've bought several PCs from them and have had NO major problems. The (few) minor ones I've had were handled efficiently by customer support. They sent me a replacement fan last week. I recommend them.

Right now I'm running an XPS with a 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI 9800. Needless to say, IL-2 runs well.

Go for it, I think you'll be satisfied.

Red_Russian13
10-18-2004, 08:53 PM
I just read some of the posts that indicate a dissatisfaction with Dell. That may be the case from their end, but I have had no problems with support. I give them raving reviews. And if I remember correctly, due to complaints from US consumers, Dell ceased working with Indian companies doing sustomer support. But it was due to not being able to understand the Indian personnel, not their competency.

For what it's worth, I've NEVER spoken with someone from India when I've called.

TheJoyStick
10-18-2004, 08:59 PM
I can add my 2 cents on the service issue..

I've had to call Dell a whopping 3 times about the same issue.

I called on the first day once, at 6:15 PM central US time. I got a guy from some middle eastern country with an extremely heavy accent which I could not, for the life of me, understand.

I gave up and decided to try tommorow.

7:15 PM central US time, and I got a lady from a middle eastern country, and, again, I could not understand that person to save my life.

Gave up, and decided to try again the next day. If I couldn't get it this time, I wasn't ever going to get it. I had the day off, though, on Friday, so I called when I woke up at 3:30PM Central US time, and to my amazement, it was an English speaking American guy, and with him I figured out that - No, my mobo won't fit in another case, no, no other mobos will fit in my Dell case, and I have no more usefull oppurtunity to upgrade as I've already reached the maximum supported specs.

A bit of a let down, but atleast the guy was nice about it.

BTW - I believe that Mon-Fri before 5PM (or around there, I'd call before 4 if I were you) you get American service. Times after that, or on weekends, you get middle eastern service.

Red_Russian13
10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
I guess experiences vary. I don't know about anyone here who's had complaints, but I would gladly buy another Dell.

e5kimo
10-18-2004, 09:48 PM
why would a selfbuilt computer require any more or different maintenance then a dell ?

RAF__Swede51
10-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi
Yep.. I got a Dell 4400 Desktop three years ago.
1.6Gb Pent4
512Mb RAM
40Gb HD
GeGorce3 Vid card
19" Trinitron monitor

Not two weeks after buying the Dell the monitor went out. Called Dell and two days later a brand new monitor was delivered at my doorstep. Haven't had any major troubles other than that. Dell's tech support is very good and their customer service is good also. I couldn't be happier with the Dell experience. The system is out of warranty now and I'm due for an upgrade obviously. Dell's aren't cheap but I think you get what you pay for. If you want a ready to go system quickly that will work when you plug it in, Dell might be the way to go.
I hear that HP is right along side Dell now but cant comment about them.

Slight5555
10-19-2004, 01:49 AM
LOL you guys make me laugh so hard bahaaha. I am one of those bums you get on the phone when you call tech support, and I'm not in india hehe... although a lot of calls do go there. I also work in the same building as Customer Care and Parts and Service. I get yelled at so much and I just laugh at them LOL.

Slight5555
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
Oh yeah, I dont' think I'm suppose to tell people this but the new Dells you order now, any dimension - 8300, 8400, 3000, etc... come with a real fast image so if you ever screw up your hard drive you can flash her back to just the way you got it in 7 min.

Just don't call tech support anymore! lol

budvar62
10-19-2004, 02:55 AM
Wow - Dell's seem to generate more positive and negative emotions than the P47.

Flown 3 dells myself - ground crew excellent but I think Oleg must have undermodelled some of the versions in FB. Personally I always thought the 256Mb RAMs were really weak, but the beauty is it's a nice big slot in there to drop in a pair of 512's or even a pair of 1Gb hitters - that even makes a hurricane 11c look underarmed!

My ground crew have always been Irish, usually female with gorgeous accents and very knowledgeable to boot (no pun intended). Latest model is a 4550 2.8 with 1G RAM (upgraded from 512 just for FB) and an ATI 9700 pro. Regularly get 40 - 70 fps in perfect except over Leningrad and Berlin lowdown. No maintenance issues whatsoever in 2y, which was true for the other 2 as well. To be fair she cuts out under negative g and a laptop I own augered straight in after a single hit with a pint of lager but I suspect a lot of mobile rigs are vulnerable in that area. Even then the trusty irish ground crew managed to sort her out in a couple of days!!!

Happy flying - guess there's so much advice both ways out there you don't know which way is up by now but my vote is for Dell...

frior-one
10-19-2004, 04:02 AM
live in uk...have had a dell 4500 p4 2.53ghz for about 3 years..have added memory and vid cards, also sound card. (probably should have bought a differnt spec, but then i had not encountered il2 then!)
have not had any problems with it. runs good.
happy with it.

Butcherbird
10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys..One other thing the new Dell's run graphics through what they call a PCI express slot. Is this compatible with an AGP video card or is this one of those lousy propreiatary deals?

Korolov
10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
PCI Express is the next-gen AGP slot. Lots of the new video cards like the 6800, 6600, X800 and X600 use it. It's not a bad thing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

To all those who got Dells and are happy with them, I'm glad at least some of you didn't have to go through the troubles. I do think they have good specs on paper, but IMO a format and fresh OS install makes them a lot more easy going.

stelr
10-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I gotta agree with Red Russian here. I have a lot of user experience with different PCs working for Uncle Sam, and I've found Dell to be at least as reliable WRT hardware, and much better than most with repect to service & support.

I'm no Dell fanatic by any means...in fact, I'm really a Mac fanatic but resolved to having a PC gaming machine at home.

As Red Russian states, and my experience is similar, all my service calls have been answered by someone here in the USA, and my calls have usually been about Microsoft issues/conflicts with other software (i.e. SP2). Seems Dell guys will work with me over the phone even if it's a Microfoft issue. Try getting help from Micro$oft!

Anyway...my$.02

jeroen_R90S
10-22-2004, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
...IMO a format and fresh OS install makes them a lot more easy going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct; I have a Dimension 4550 with Radeon 9700PRO. Runs FB smooth as silk after formatting; before I'd run OK but not as good as it does now.

As for HP being better, please don't even get me started on HP... {-> EDIT, speaking in general, not related to the quote above}

HP stands for Hopeless Problem, as a system administrator I've never been so lazy since we kicked all HPs out of the window. Made a nice pile of junk, I asked our truck driver to run into it, but he was afraid to scratch the paint on his truck. We did flatten a HP Vectra 8i under the loaded trailer wheels, though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Should have a small clip of that somewhere.

Jeroen

[Gypsy]
10-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Dimension XPS... very satisfied with the machine and the support... with the XPS you get stateside support... or at least I do...