PDA

View Full Version : Range and Speed Measurement method?

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Currently I'm missing a piece in the identify, scope, and range puzzle. Namely, I know the height of the ship I have in scope and I can count how many ticks high it is. How do I get the range from this?

Also, what are some good ways to measure the speed of the ship? Can you do it by counting how long it takes the ship to go across the horizontal ticks?

I figure the 0 20 45 degreen pictures in the recog manual are good for estimating AOB.

Also I'm having a hard time with having the SO estimate range to sound contact. Apperantly I have to "lock" his target for him. How do I do this when the contact is BVR? (Beyond visual range) What is the difference between rough/precise range?

There's no real TDC tutorial, so this is all by the top of our heads.

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Currently I'm missing a piece in the identify, scope, and range puzzle. Namely, I know the height of the ship I have in scope and I can count how many ticks high it is. How do I get the range from this?

Also, what are some good ways to measure the speed of the ship? Can you do it by counting how long it takes the ship to go across the horizontal ticks?

I figure the 0 20 45 degreen pictures in the recog manual are good for estimating AOB.

Also I'm having a hard time with having the SO estimate range to sound contact. Apperantly I have to "lock" his target for him. How do I do this when the contact is BVR? (Beyond visual range) What is the difference between rough/precise range?

There's no real TDC tutorial, so this is all by the top of our heads.

Frederf220
03-18-2005, 10:23 PM
OMG, I just found all the tools for data gathering today. Once you identify and confrim ship selection. You can then CLICK ON PARTS OF THE DATA PAD while licked on view with the ship and use the strictmeter and tons of other tools to gather data about it.

It's in the paper manual pages 38-42. I have yet to figure out how to use their automated speed measurement device. Something about timing how long it takes the ship to cross a certain amount of bering, while having your scoped pointed at it at the beginning and end of the stop watch. I think it even works if it's at static bearing and you're moving.