PDA

View Full Version : Therclines?

Dremond
03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Just got the game, working through the Academy ... I wasn wondering if thermoclines are modeled? If so, in what compartment do we see the outside water temperature so's we know we've just passed one and am significantly less visible to active sonar?

If they're not modeled, any news on whether a furture recoding (patch/expansion/SHIV) might include them? Seems to be a significant part of submariner evasive tactics, but I can't find reference to them anywahere ... even on this board, though I may be spelling "thermocline" wrong ...

Dremond
03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Just got the game, working through the Academy ... I wasn wondering if thermoclines are modeled? If so, in what compartment do we see the outside water temperature so's we know we've just passed one and am significantly less visible to active sonar?

If they're not modeled, any news on whether a furture recoding (patch/expansion/SHIV) might include them? Seems to be a significant part of submariner evasive tactics, but I can't find reference to them anywahere ... even on this board, though I may be spelling "thermocline" wrong ...

AndyDigital80
03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
I thought i remembered seeing in one of the videos on the website a long time ago, that they didn't really know of thermal layers back then and that they didnt make that much difference anyway.

Andy.

Iuvart
03-24-2005, 01:42 PM
As Herr Oesten stated in the Video about Thermal Layers they had no way of knowing about them in WWII.
They are modeled ingame though.
So going deep is almost always a good idea.

Thermoklinale = Thermal Layers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HeibgesU999
03-24-2005, 02:40 PM
This has been debated here for a long time.

The Germans did have means to measure water temperature. But the specifics of how this device operated have not been found.

The sonarman can ofter tell that a thermal layer is passed because the noise of surface ships will suddenly decrease in volume through the hydrophones.

I guess thermal layers were like a bonus if they were there, but not something a kalue really could think to much about. If under DC attack they are diving to 220 meters whether there is a thermal layer or not. If the thermal layer is present then they are that much harder to find.

But it doesn't seem they skirted thermal layers, popping above and below to listen like a modern nuclear submarine.

And the Uboat Commanders Handbook definitly talks about thermal layers.

There is an exerpt from Merten's KTB in Doenitz's memoirs where he talks about using thermal layers near Freetown to get near some convoys.