PDA

View Full Version : level bombing & level stabilizer problems

tracker_72
11-06-2004, 08:08 AM
~S all

When practicing my bombing skills in a B-25 in PF I ran into some serious problems. When level bombing I want to use the level stabilizer to fly straight and level and thus be able to drop my bombs through the bombsight with some accuracy... I found however that when you activate the level stabilizer the plane goes into a shallow dive... There is no way to correct this with either stick input or elevator trim adjustments. I've read some posts regarding this issue in FB AEP but the sollotions mentioned there doesn't seem to apply for PF.
Since level bombing is an essential part of the pacific theatre I'd like to see this corrected in the next patch...

I also couldn't find any documentation about the b-25 bomb sight and how it can be used. I figured out you can drop bombs with the 'bombsight automation' turned on but there must be a way to pinpoint the droppoint manually... Anyone got any thoughts on this?

happy bombing

tracker_72

GT182
11-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Yep, it's in the manual. You need to set it up in the "Controls" menu.

tracker_72
11-06-2004, 09:11 AM
rgr that GT182...
there's s o m e info in the manual... From looking at the picture the b-25 must have an advanced bombsight. I guess it means the way they describe how to drop your bombs is the only way to do it with this bombsight...

Havent succeeded in dropping any bombs with 'bombsight automation on' as of yet but maybe it needs some practise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif..

This still leaves the faulty 'level stabiliser' issue which kind of sucks... Anyone got any way to fix the shallow dive problem?

tracker72

TC_Stele
11-06-2004, 10:16 AM
You've got to enable the stabilizer way in advance when approaching the target in order to let the B-25 regain its speed and decrease its shallow dive. Yeah, I noticed too that the B-25 falls a bit quicker than the He-111 during the level stabilzer/elevators trimmed stage.

There is one thing that helps but I don't use it. Try turning your combat flaps on. This will help a lot. Reason why I don't do it is for some really odd reason when this is on and I've engaged the bombsight automation the B-25 does this really weird jump causing the flaps to straighten back out on their own, effecting my bomb run. The only time that should happen is if you have too much speed causing the flaps to straighten out, but I'm not going that fast during the bomb run anyways. (Is this a bug?) Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt. So the combat flaps trick is kinda iffy.

Other than that, you've gotta keep your eye on that altitude changing during the bomb run like a hawk. It drops fairly quick.

Snootles
11-06-2004, 10:25 AM
They need to fix the stabilizer feature so it keeps the plane not only level but compensates for torque (i.e. keeps the plane perfectly straight as well as level). Enabling the stabilizer seems to decrease the efficacy of trim (especially elevator trim) so it's really tough to make it work out yourself.

Dizz_310th
11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Tracker,
I've noticed if I trim out the bomber for level flight at around 270kph (flaps raised), engauge level stabilizer and immediately deploy combat flap, I'm able to level her out with elevator trim. For a tutorial on using the bombsite, try the 310th/380th website at http://www.310thvfs.com/He111_Tutorial.php
It's written for the He111, but it's exactly the same bombsite as in the Mitchell and it works a treat! S!

tracker_72
11-06-2004, 11:12 AM
rgr that dizz...
Manual trim, both elevator and rudder, is the path I'm following right now aswell. In a way it's nice because I think real-life-bombercrews had to do it like this aswell. Downside is that the workload is very high since you're doing 2 jobs at the same time...

I've read the Heinkel manual and but I think u should use the 'bombsight velocity adjustments' to counter runoff problems (as stated in the PF manual). The heinkel manual talks about adjusting throttle to counter runoff but this interfears with the very delicate manual elevator trim settings u use for the approach. I didn't check if adjusting the velocity settings affect accuracy. If it does the only option is to go the heinkel-way (throttle input). This would make level bombing very difficult indeed (like in reallife?).
I'll be getting high speed internet in a couple of weeks and I'd love to spit the bombertasks between 2 online pilots. One is pilot the other is navigator/bomber/AAgun operator. Multicrews are a possibility in PF right?

Anayway there's always something to learn which is what makes this sim so great!

tracker_72