PDA

View Full Version : Tempest vs IJN/IJA 1945

mynameisroland
06-05-2006, 07:57 AM
If you were to speculate a scenario where Hawker Tempests were sent to the Pacific in time to see service - either for the RAF/RAAF or with the Fleet Air Arm. How soon could these aircraft be shipped out there and what action would they be able to participate in given that we know its combat radius and the Royal Navy's disposition.

Would a navalised version of the Tempest V be much of a problem given the temperamental Sabre engine, and how effective would the Tempest be compared to its contemporaries the Corsair, the Hellcat, the Seafire and the Firefly? Im thinking about creating a map idea which would see the Tempest take part in action against Japanese forces and am looking for some input from those who are knowledgable in the Tempest V's introduction to service and those who know more about RN involvement in the late stages of the PTO.

WOLFMondo
06-05-2006, 08:17 AM
The Tempest for the far east was the Tempest II with Centaurus radial and a massive 1300 mile range. The naval version was the Seafury which started life as a Fury which was a Tempest II 'light' with the centre wing section removed.

Tempest II's were first produced in April 1944 and the first Squadrons to be operation were just after VJ day.

You wouldn't see a Tempest on a carrier, the landing speed was way too high (110mph) and it had a nasty stall characteristic. It was never envisaged as a Naval fighter and took years to get the Seafury into service. But the Seafury is seen with the Bearcat as the ultimate Naval prop fighters.

The Tempest V and VI were actually ok to perform in the middle east though, the VI selected to be the RAF's formost fighter there after the war.

I don't think they would have ever shipped the Tempest V to the far east though, the range was too limited and it was perfect to be used against any USSR action in Europe, hence why almost all Tempest V sqaudrons moved to Germany after the war until they went to target tugs in the 50's. The RAF didn't have another design with low altitude performance like the Tempest in any great numbers so it was more important to be kept there. The FAA also had the Corsair, Avenger and Firefly, all capable of lifting a solid load and already good naval fighters, Spitfire XIV's were also on there way from Burma and the TEmpest II was ready to go and outperformed the Tempest V, especially with range.

mynameisroland
06-05-2006, 08:32 AM
But we dont have the Tempest II http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I wish we did as it was the ultimate derivative imo but Id still like to create a feasible map where I can chase/be chased some Ki 84s Late war A6M5s and some Ki 100/61s while doing it in the best possible taste.

With regards to range - with the external tanks I thought the Tempest V had a good radius? It certainly would compare to the Spitfire VIII would it not? I keep reading range fgures in the region of 1100/1200 miles are these figures being confused with the Fury?

On the Spit 14 there is a story of how a squadron got deliveries of bubble top 14's out in the PTO and the Squadron leader told the guys who delivered them to crate them back up and bring them some razor back Spits because anything with a bubble top wasnt a Spitfire !

Kocur_
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
With all the design, vulnerability, range and so on differences in mind I would use Tempest as F4U-4B TEMPORARY replacement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEBillfish
06-05-2006, 09:06 AM
as this is a purely "fantasy" setting think Burma, Malaya, then perhaps Okinawa.

WOLFMondo
06-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by mynameisroland:

With regards to range - with the external tanks I thought the Tempest V had a good radius? It certainly would compare to the Spitfire VIII would it not? I keep reading range fgures in the region of 1100/1200 miles are these figures being confused with the Fury?

Its about 800 miles with tanks. I don't know about the Fury but the Tempest II was 1300 miles, I think thats on internal fuel as well.

ImpStarDuece
06-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Tempest ranges

All ranges are for 'still air cruising' unless otherwise stated.

Tempest V

740 miles clean
1530 miles w/ external tanks

240 miles Combat Radius clean
405 miles Combat Radius with 2 x 45 gal external tanks
575 miles Combat Radius with 2 x 90 gal external tanks

Tempest II

805 miles clean
1650 miles with external tanks

Tempest VI

750 miles clean
1560 miles with external tanks

VW-IceFire
06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
With tanks its only about 500miles short of the P-51's range. Its not short legged at all. Its a very good distance penetration tactical fighter. I'm consistently shocked at the level of fuel it carries. I was taking 75% in dogfights at first just in case and then 50% and I thought I was running the tank dry till I discovered that the nose tank empties last (and is normally obstructed by the bar). The thing has 4 fuel tanks...so its not short on fuel tankage at all.

Boehmer...I was planning to wait till the Burma map came out to do a fiction 1946 campaign with the Tempest in just such a situation.

XyZspineZyX
06-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I've flown the Tempest against late war Zero's and I must say its alot of work!

WOLFMondo
06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
I find the Tempest to be a good opponent to late war Japanese planes. Its just too fast for IJN planes to catch it. You can extend so easily and quickly. Its like taking a Dora against IJN planes, its a bit of a joke.

The-Pizza-Man
06-06-2006, 03:33 AM
On the Spit 14 there is a story of how a squadron got deliveries of bubble top 14's out in the PTO and the Squadron leader told the guys who delivered them to crate them back up and bring them some razor back Spits because anything with a bubble top wasnt a Spitfire !

It was "Ginger" Lacey's squadron.
'We had originally been allocated bubble-canopy FR Mk XIVs, but when the first one arrived at Madura Sqn Ldr Lacey exclaimed that it "wasn't a bloody Spitfire". Despite our protestations concerning the unrivalled visibility out of the canopy, "Ginger" wouldn't budge, and they were passed to No 11 Sqn, whoes pilots were more than happy to receive them in place of their war-weary Hurricane IICs. Eventually we got our complement of high-back F XIVEs, which fortunately satisfied out boss'

mynameisroland
06-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
With tanks its only about 500miles short of the P-51's range. Its not short legged at all. Its a very good distance penetration tactical fighter. I'm consistently shocked at the level of fuel it carries. I was taking 75% in dogfights at first just in case and then 50% and I thought I was running the tank dry till I discovered that the nose tank empties last (and is normally obstructed by the bar). The thing has 4 fuel tanks...so its not short on fuel tankage at all.

Boehmer...I was planning to wait till the Burma map came out to do a fiction 1946 campaign with the Tempest in just such a situation.

On the subject of fuel the Tempests tanks are cool too, when you drop them the aerodynamic fairings fall away as part of the tanks. Leaving you with a nice clean wing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Yesterday I flew with Nightshifter on Channel 44 map, the planeset was Fw 190 A5 1.65 ata, Fw 190 A8 Bf 109 G6 late and Spitfire IXs, P38 J , P47 D22 and Tempest. You know the one, I chose the Tempest and Nightshifter took a Spitfire IX the combination was excellent and was a RAF version of what I have experienced for years with Bf 109 dovetailing with Fw 190s. However the Tempest, in early to mid 1944 ETO planesets is just so dominant. It has the ability to match any manuver long enough to get a good firing solution, it is happy climbing at high AoA and also following hard evasive turns. In 3 sorties - the last one cut short by map ending I had 10 kills. Shifter had a similar number in his Spitfire IX. The one manuver It wasnt to happy with was when I trid to follow Fw 190s that Split S'd while being chased in fights below 1000m. The Tempests torque when pulling hard to the left made me wary of folling their snap rolling antics.

Looking fwd to your Burma map matey http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Ive been flying a few offline missions taking the Tempest of RN carriers its great fun!

mynameisroland
06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Off topic but Tempest related what is the best pitch to reach high cruise speeds, then going from cruise to maximum speed in a shallow dive? Ive been using 95% throttle and 90-95% pitch with Rad at 6 WEP on.