PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for improvement and the future of AC

LaMOi
12-22-2010, 07:19 AM
I have to say this game is easily one of my favourite franchises since ACII, however there are I feel a few things holding it back from greatness.

1) More Freedom is needed. I know developers are fond of set pieces and linear mission structures, but it time to give the player more freedom. This game often gives with one hand and take away with the other - when they let the player approach a mission with a degree of freedom on how he/she goes about completing their objective, the game verges on genius. However, these moments are tarnished somewhat when the game favors a more linear structure, which leads the player around dictating the rules of engagement, which is far far less fun by comparison. This game should be more like Hitman, in its approach to missions. It also needs to be more lenient with the whole desyncronization nonsense, sometimes you dont have to stray more then a couple of metres from a target for the whole thing to spaz out. If the game have a more open mission structure (like Sabotuer even) I feel this game would be truly brilliant.

2) The Animus... Does Assassins Creed need it? The whole concept of Assassins throughout periods in History I feel is strong enough to stand alone. The whole Animus thing I just find pointless, at worst annoying and out of place.

3) Also, more interesting settings. I have never been a fan of the Italian Rennaisance for a game setting much. Id prefer Feudal Japan, or maybe as a native american Mohawk during the French and English occupation of America? Something else tho.

ZCherub
12-22-2010, 07:30 AM
^Feedback thread.

Inorganic9_2
12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
More interesting settings? How do you get more interesting that Renaissance Italy? Name me another game that takes place here. Also, the wealth of characters, events and places that can/are included...Niccolò Machiavelli, Leonardo Da Vinci, Florence, Venice...not to forget the fact that one of the most notorious families in history is a central part of the plot and you get to visit the Vatican!

Feudal Japan would be a bad idea for a setting; it's over-used and there are too many Japanophiles about to make it a good idea!

Also, you can't really remove the animus until Desmond's story is sorted out. I agree that some spin-offs shouldn't need an animus and just be set in that time, but for the intertwining stories in history and the 'present' the animus is more than needed.

StarZtorm
12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Im raging, you happy now??

LaMOi
12-23-2010, 11:49 AM
I personally find Rennaisance Italy not a very exciting time period from a computer game point of view, im not into it....

And with regards to Japan, cmon, theres never been a 'realistic' game set in that time period, its all Ninjas with fireballs and crap like that... I for one would love to see a game set in Feudal Japan that did the setting justice... Its never been done, neither has there been a 'realistic' Ninja game apart from the Tenchu series which on the whole was pretty poor.

Redfeather1975
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
De-synchronization can be so annoying. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

It would be nicer if instead of de-synchronization, the animus is like an old rabbit-ear antenna.
And if you start to deviate from the memory, Desmond begins to lose reception.
In the animus case, it could be game play elements starting to falter.
Such as the use of the mini-map, seeing the health bar, eagle vision, or whistling for assassin recruits.

You could have a synchronization bar that works like an elastic. It slowly rises and lowers in reaction to how you are doing. At certain intervals in the bar, elements start to fade away from the game, until the bar is brought back up to that interval. Maybe you can go after alternate memories in the game to better synch with your ancestor and that would make the bar longer and earn more options to it being more full.

Desmond would simply have to go on instincts alone if he really de-synchronized from his ancestor's memory.
You wouldn't be booted out completely for failing to do something. That is no fun.

What I am suggesting is similar to how in the old Legend of Zelda games, you get special options when you are at full health.

drizzit986
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
ok...asking if AC needs the animus is like asking if Star Wars needs to be in space. Without the animus, at least half the storyline we have been following would be gone and a lot of the reasoning behind wanting to live the lives of those in the past would be gone. Being able to scync up is awesome and loosing sync instead of HP/armor points is one thing that makes this game unique and without the animus that doesnt exist.

So for me I feel that the game is not strong enough to stand alone, since the animus is the foundation the game was built on.

As for the settings, I know I am one of the thousands that have loved them so far. If you prefer feudal Japan there are plenty of games out already with that setting.

LaMOi
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
The animus part of the story is just redundant I feel.

Its justb tacked on to give it a twist..

Personally Im one of those people that is all about gameplay, the story is secondary, and I really dont like the animus stuff. Desyncing is just annoying when you stray just a little from a target...

And the whole point about Japan is that yes there are games with that setting, but not good ones, or 'realistic' ones... Thats the main difference.