PDA

View Full Version : Track IR pro 3 and vector expansion - help

zorlac000
03-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Calling all TIR 3 users

I'm wanting to purchase a Track IR pro 3 and have a few questions.

1) Vector expansion - is it worth it? I know 6DOF won't be implemented in Pacific Fighters so does vector expansion offer any benefits to the game?
2) If I place an international order through natural point's website, is the displayed price US$ or is this my local currency?

Thanks
Zorlac

WWSensei
03-05-2005, 08:24 PM
My comments from a review I did back in early Feb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Received the vector expansion yesterday. Comes with a NP hat. Clip fits easily onto the cap (or any baseball cap actually). If you use the NP hat make sure you cover the reflective tape on the center brim. A inch strip of electrical tape did the trick for me. Keeps the vector from getting confused.

First, I'll start with the bad.

1) Activation. You have to go to their website and register with your TrackIR serial number, and the registration information provided for the Vector clip as well. This is a pain. I understand why...it's not the hardware you are paying for. It's the software activation. You are emailed 2 license files to turn on the vector tracking. Once on the clip is just three reflective dots. I tested out another cap by placing three reflective dot at the approximate location as the clip does. It worked perfectly. NP should be more up front about that.

2) Placement. Since it needs to see the dots you end up needing to place the TrackIR unit at or higher than your head. I preferred mine on my desk tucked under my monitors point up at me. It was out of the way and I didn't have to stretch the USB cable. Now that it had to "see" the top of my head I had to move it to the top of my monitor. 20 minutes of re-running cables was a pain.

OK, the good...

1) 6DOF in FS2004. OMG! I cannot describe the absolute difference it makes. I'd put it on par with the feeling one one first moves from using a hat switch to TIR. It has to be seen more than it can be described.

2) Using it in Pacific Fighters. Despite not supporting 6DOF there is a definite improvement in tracking in PF with the clip versus just one reflective dot on my boom mike. It is far more forgiving of ducking and twitching than just the one dot. Movement was much smoother and precise. I could get up from my chair and if I at back down in a slightly dofferent position re-centering wasn't necessary. In fact, I flew 2 sorties on War Clouds, got up an ate dinner, went back up to the computer and jumped into War Clouds for 2 more missions and only had to recenter on the initial sortie.

I use the preset profile of "Smooth". I don't like deadzones as they tend to just keep you in the bad habits developed with the fixed locked viewpoint from the hatswitch days. With the vector clip tracking was just more....natural I guess. That's the best way I can describe it. After 5 minutes of use I completely forgot about trackir. I wasn't concious of it being a part of external hardware. I got that feeling previously without the vector clip but often would get reminded when I needed to re-center etc. With the vector clip the immersion was complete.

Is it worth the $50? Not if you fly PF alone. $20 maybe but not $50. If you fly or play other games that would support it it is worth it. Since I fly FS2004 I felt the price was worth the effect it has in that game alone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't answer number 2...

ckur
03-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Hi zorlac000

Check this link out (sorry dont know how to make it to refer a word) http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?osCsid=42b498555b78ea1c0258b58e606876e2&currency=EUR&cPath=24&sort=2a&osCsid=42b498555b78ea1c0258b58e606876e2

On the left hand side you have a drop down list: select a currency. There you can choose from different currencies. Make a note that taxes and delivery fees will be added to the price shown and the whole price is shown a few pages later when you make the order.

kSetuni
03-06-2005, 10:01 AM
I jsut got my Track IR 3pro +Vector. They had forgotten to iclude the vector clip in the original shipment but they fixed it quickly. I used the track IR for abotu 4 days in normal then added the vector clip. It was a large improvement in stability, and IMO it was well worth it. Another reason I got it is so that later on when I play other games that fuly support it, i dont have to place another order and pay the additional shipping costs.

If you have the money, I would get it all at once as I'm sure tht you will enjoy it and use it for many years to come. I was sceptical at first, but now I am beginnign to echo the comments of others wondering hwo I flew without it.

jamesdietz
03-06-2005, 10:16 AM
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT & EASY TO INSTALL & WORK....MY ONLY PROBLEM HAS BEEN FINDING IDEAL SPOT FOR READER/SCANNER DEVICE...STILL WORKING ON THAT.VECTOR HAS HELPED WITH SOME OF THE LEANING PROBLEMS THAT I FIRST HAD WITH TRACKIR3

zorlac000
03-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone,

I've gone ahead and placed an order through a local distributor (makes my second question irrelevant - but thanks all the same 'ckur' and this actually worked out to be cheaper 'cause they do the vector kit with and without the hat. I've opted for the vector expansion without the hat (I'll use a baseball cap or something). I can't justify 20 bucks for nothing.

After watching some of the videos over at natural point I'm really amped. Can't wait 'till tommorrow!

Cheers
Zorlac